When people ask for advice, stop being rude and degrading!

Options

Replies

• julies90
    julies90 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Also, it's no wonder that our society and schools are having such a issue with bullying, considering this is the behavior that grown adults display when there is no one or nothing holding them to common manners. Just because everyone does it on the internet doesn't mean It should happen.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lwh3ez1jGp1qccjmlo1_500.gif
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I seriously want to rage-quit this whole thread! :explode:

People are rude everywhere, not just on MFP. If you haven't gotten a thicker skin by now then maybe you shouldn't be using a community-based weight loss program because not everyone is going to have a personality compatible with yours and not everyone is going to deliver a message in a manner that you approve of. Do it on your own. You must have all the answers if you can cherry-pick advice based on its delivery.

Best of luck!:flowerforyou:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Or it could be the case than many obese / overweight people are severely disempowered after being belittled most of their lives so need others to speak on their behalf?

That's possible as well.

It still makes you the person that acts in a way online you wouldn't dare to in real life.

Thus, the SAME accusation flung at "rude" people.
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Has Anyone ever heard of Jillian Michaels. Was it rude when she said "everytime I look at a bagel I can feel my *kitten* getting bigger"? or when she is yelling at someone on the treadmill that "The only reasons to stop are puking, passing out, or dieing"?

Seriously some people need thicker skin

People from The Biggest Loser have gone on record to discuss how much they were abused on the show, and that the production is hardly close to reality. In general, I find that Jillian has a very loud mouth that can be incredibly irritating. I think her methods can be counterproductive for people who are very new to fitness, chasing them away instead of inspiring them to discover new ways to enjoy being active, instilling the idea that everyone must follow the same road at the same pace.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Or it could be the case than many obese / overweight people are severely disempowered after being belittled most of their lives so need others to speak on their behalf?

That's possible as well.

It still makes you the person that acts in a way online you wouldn't dare to in real life.

Thus, the SAME accusation flung at "rude" people.

Touche!

Basically, everyone on here is an idiot.

Except moi.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Also, it's no wonder that our society and schools are having such a issue with bullying, considering this is the behavior that grown adults display when there is no one or nothing holding them to common manners. Just because everyone does it on the internet doesn't mean It should happen.

If you think someone saying "How did you become overweight if you can't eat at regular levels" is bullying, please look up Amanda Todd.

Then come back and talk about bullying. I'd say "go talk to her", but she's dead. Killed herself, you see. 16 year old girl.

Extremely tragic.

And you're extremely cheap to even compare the two events. You minimize her death by throwing it in with a discussion about how "rude" it is to ask about 1200 calories.
  • terriedozier
    Options
    AMEN!! Agree 100%
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Some men just want to watch the world burn
    Joker_Heath.jpg

Don't worry! It's ok! I'm not in prime physical shape!
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It is the nature of the beast. Every established community develops stupid question syndrome; when the same question or same misunderstanding has been asked 1,000,000 times, if you are asking it/saying it the 1,000,001 th time, expect to get ridiculed.

No cleansing will not help you detoxify.

Your musles are not getting too big if you are in a calorie defict.

Yes lifting writing utensil sized weights to infinity is a waste of time.

Then why waste time replying?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Looks like some one needs to learn the use of the ignore feature.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I don't care if I'm being blasted. I just needed people to know what was on my mind. Being overweight is tough, because society in general has accepted that weight is the common criticism for everyone. Some people are lazy slobs. Some people want to change, like the ones that are on here.

Yes, telling the people I am angry with to shut the *kitten* up was rude. I never said I was perfect. I am just extremely sick of people being *kitten* to people who are only trying to put forth effort.

Obviously I should take my own advice now and just stop posting cause this whole topic is ruining my good mood :)

Enjoy your Wednesday, people! :flowerforyou:

I started at 300 lbs at the begining of March ( I joined over a year ago and then just ignored the site until then) Since then I've lost almost 30 pounds. People say "rude" comments to me and I just ignore it or use their words to fuel my rage workouts. Just ignore them and do you. Seriously.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    It is the nature of the beast. Every established community develops stupid question syndrome; when the same question or same misunderstanding has been asked 1,000,000 times, if you are asking it/saying it the 1,000,001 th time, expect to get ridiculed.

If we don't reply, people wanting answers will see us as rude for ignoring them, possibly resulting in posts complaining about how mean people are on the internet because they didn't get their question answered.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

So would you prefer that the people who have achieved success not post that doing these unnecessary things is a waste of time and/or potentially dangerous?
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    OP, you also can't say successful people are awful and then turn around and say that you want everyone to be successful in the same thread.
  • julies90
    julies90 Posts: 646 Member
    Options

If you think someone saying "How did you become overweight if you can't eat at regular levels" is bullying, please look up Amanda Todd.

Then come back and talk about bullying. I'd say "go talk to her", but she's dead. Killed herself, you see. 16 year old girl.

Extremely tragic.

And you're extremely cheap to even compare the two events. You minimize her death by throwing it in with a discussion about how "rude" it is to ask about 1200 calories.

Um, seriously dude??
    When did I compare those two events? Just because someone commits suicide doesn't mean that all other forms of bullying are not real or important..
    And also, I never even mentioned it in reference to a question about 1200 calories. Wow...simply compared to the way the people in general (Adults in general) can treat and talk to other people when there is a sort of anonymity.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    There's kind of a volatile mixture of people on MFP that lends itself to this conflict.

On one end, you have people who are out of shape and just sick of it. They're often desperate, confused, and not overly familiar with internet forum culture. They want to get in better shape but are wracked with self-pity and ignorance.

On another end you have people who are in great shape. They've been doing this a long time. They're often young and internet-savvy. They also have the mindset of self-discipline, sacrifice, and independent study that has gotten them to that point. They largely understand what it takes and what the challenges are, because they've been there themselves. As a result they have little tolerance for the type of whining, blame games, and "special snowflake" bs.

This is a dangerous mixture. It results in people in the first group complaining about nothing working, or asking for advice.... then getting people in the second group responding with stark reality. It's not what they want to hear, and they're not being coddled or babied. So they get offended.

Does everyone fall into one of these groups? Of course not. But that's the genesis of most of the conflict that results in these types of threads. This dynamic - people who are out of shape and frustrated versus those who have busted their butts for a long time to create real results - is what drives a lot of the "I'm offended" threads.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    whatever happened to "if you can't say something nice (i would say insert 'positive'), don't say it all." if you feel the urge to belittle or degrade, keep it to yourself. it's not helpful. it doesn't matter if it has appeared on the threads 5,000 times. new people join all the time. keep the comments positive. i agree, some people are overly sensitive, but at the same time, how is being degrading or condescending in any way helpful?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    It's not about successful or not.

It's about using success to belittle others or disregard their humanity to make yourself look smart. It's cheap.

Which does happen on here.
  • oh_you_sassy
    Options
    question for the OP...

if somebody on MFP starts a thread about wanting to start a 40-day water fast, what exactly is the proper way to respond to that without being called rude?

Have a nice death!
This discussion has been closed.