How is doing c25k? Lets support each other

Options

Replies

• HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Oh, good, I was looking for this topic. I started C25K the day before yesterday, so today (when the sun comes up) will be my day 2. I can't wait. I overdid my first day and reread the instructions that said hold off and don't overdo. Good luck to everybody!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Tomorrows run will be W9D3. I can't believe I can run for 30 min! I have never been too successful with running in the past, and have tried it a few times over the past 30 years. Now at 53 I am doing my first 5k on May 4. I think this time has been better as I'm a lot stronger all around, due to strength training. Looking forward to finding out what my time will be. For all those in the early weeks, keep going, you can do it!

That's awesome - congrats to you!!

I am doing W9D3 today. Looking at the weather radar right now doesn't look good. But I'll probably go out anyway and get wet.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Whew! Just got done with my last C25K run. It poured rain and I was running on a trail which was muddy & slippery. I was happy to complete one loop of the trail in good time - 3.77 miles in 38 minutes. Got a race at the same trail in 2 weeks.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    This past Friday I completed W5D3 and put Week 5 behind me. I started this program not even thinking I could do a day, let along a week, or complete 5 weeks. The 20 minute jog was not as bad as I expected. After about week 3, I had learned to pace myself and keep my breathing under control. With that and just getting lost in my music, I really can accomplish a lot.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Just started C25K today in anticipation of doing two 5Ks this fall (Sept. and Nov. at Disney World). I'll probably sign up for one in the summer, too, when I finish the program. I did three miles today in 30 minutes, and although I hated the jogging intervals, they didn't feel impossible. Unpleasant, yes. Impossible, no. I'm interspersing this with Jillian Michaels Body Revolution so I'll also have regular strength training, since I need to tone up. Can't wait to see where this new journey goes! I'm only a year and a half away from age 50, so I want to be completing 5Ks, and even 10Ks, easily by then.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I started C25K yesterday. I really enjoyed the jogging sections, overdid them, jogged longer than I was supposed to, didn't follow the directions and had a second session in one day where I also jogged longer than I was supposed to... and am paying for it today. My chest felt strained all morning. I will wait a couple of days, start over, and this time follow the program.
  • JohnDun
    JohnDun Posts: 140
    Options
    Well I completed W8D2 of C25K today.....I am really suprised that I have managed to do this and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...only 4 more sessions to go and thats it....C25K completed....cant wait until Tuesday so thats W8 over and latter this week do my first W9D1....

Just trying to figure out what to do next...maybe the C210K?

Anyway, for all you folks starting out on this, its great, I have really enjoyed it (Hated it at times) but the differance is massive. The thing to remember is not to go too fast.

Anyway, May looks likes it going be a good month....

J
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I started C25K yesterday. I really enjoyed the jogging sections, overdid them, jogged longer than I was supposed to, didn't follow the directions and had a second session in one day where I also jogged longer than I was supposed to... and am paying for it today. My chest felt strained all morning. I will wait a couple of days, start over, and this time follow the program.
    That's a good cautionary warning. I just started today and was very tempted to do some extra jogging, but I resisted. I see I made the right choice, even though I really wanted to go for it.
  • bryionak
    bryionak Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Completed Week 6 Day 3 yesterday. I ran a little extra. I ran just a little over 2 miles in a little less than 25 minutes. Felt pretty good afterwards, a lot better than I did after the long run the week before.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    been struggling with week 4, my legs are just dead for several days after soccer on sundays.
  • Quest529
    Quest529 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    W7D1 Complete :)

I knocked a minute off my time too! The time before, I didn't really push myself too hard (when I had a huge to-do list and running wasn't at the top of it). This time I put more effort and it paid off!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I'm still on week 5, too terrified to try the long run. The two 8's were okay, but I was suffering!
  • bryionak
    Options
    I'm still on week 5, too terrified to try the long run. The two 8's were okay, but I was suffering!

It was just in my head. I was unsure of the long runs also. Do you use a HRM? I try to keep it steady and slow up or speed up to maintain my heart rate. You get to a zone where you are comfortable and you just go.

Before my run sunday (Week 6 day 3), I felt kind of unsure. But at the end I could have kept going. Maybe you haven;t had that breakthrough yet, but it will come, but try not to psych yourself out too much.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Cannot believe I did W4D1 yesterday. I ran for 5 minutes straight!! The first 5 minute stretch I didn't stop once, I was going really slowly though. The second 5 minute stretch I stopped for about 20 seconds due to a side cramp.
  • bryionak
    Options
    Did week 7 day 1 tonight. Did some Yoga X when I got home, put the kids to bed, used the Kenpo X warm up for a stretch and started the warm up. I passed the 2 mile mark prior to 24 minutes. Amazing how far I have come. Just a few weeks ago I watching the clock on the 3 minute runs.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Finished W4D1 last night and actually managed to run the full 5 minutes both times. Is anyone out there also doing this with a jogging stroller? It's so much easier when I don't have my son with me, but that's not an option the next two weeks. Anyone have any tips for jogging with a stroller as I look at W5D3 in dread? :laugh:

I just replied to another thread you posted about this topic - if you'd like a friend who is almost at the same point in C25K as you and also has a son in a jogging stroller to push around, feel free to add me :0)
  • wordyroo
    wordyroo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I just replied to another thread you posted about this topic - if you'd like a friend who is almost at the same point in C25K as you and also has a son in a jogging stroller to push around, feel free to add me :0)

Done and done!
  • rochellewilson70
    Options
    Great job! I am on W3D3 tomorrow. I'm surprising myself, but actually am enjoying it. I'm a little nervous to move from here though. I've always wanted to be a runner, but didn't think I could do it. I've decided I will just repeat any weeks that I struggle with.
  • Quest529
    Quest529 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    W7D2 done :)

I actually wanted to push myself harder this time! I'm going to see how close I can get to my husbands 5k time from his last race (it was roughly 33 mins).
  • rochellewilson70
    Options
    Just finished W3D3 today. I worked out pretty hard last night and struggled a bit today. I think I am going to do what I saw someone else do and extend W3 to a D4 before I move on. I really want to do this!