Triumphantly Dirty (Non-Clean) Eaters

Options

Replies

• iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I don't eat completely clean, but i don't eat completely dirty either and the weight is just falling off of me. I still love to stuff my face with ice cream and cookies and chips, but i also love eating fruit and stuff. I just exercise more on the days I really indulge in my "dirty" foods or if I'm feeling extra lazy and fat I just make sure it fits into my calories and macros for the day.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I think if you can make sure you're lifting weights, getting a gram of protein per pound body weight and eating at a deficit, you'll probably get close to the same results as someone eating "clean." Nutrition is really vital, though. If you can't get fruits and vegetables for whatever reason, just make sure to take a multivitamin each day. Avoid white sugar and flour if you can - the empty calories and blood sugar spikes will make your diet harder.

My philosophy on food is that it should be tailored for nutrition first, followed by taste. I believe it is very hard to maintain a healthy weight on the average American diet, which offers a ton of calorie dense food with poor nutrition and low volume. When I go out to eat I pack in 800 + calories in a single meal, without feeling full - a lot of those calories are from a couple tablespoons worth of fat mixed in with some kind of sauce, and the rest is some bland white flour combination that won't keep me full. At home something high in fiber, protein and lower in fat can fill me up for 300 calories.

Food must first be there to power my workouts and give me sufficient nutrients to power my body, without going too close to maintenance calories. The better the diet, the better a body will feel and the more (hopefully) a person can push in the gym.

I eat 90% of what is considered clean but I also eat a ton of artificial sweetener, and less fat than most people. As long as Dean Ornish (the heart healthy medical doctor) likes a food, who am I to eliminate it from my diet? Some of the "clean" food recipes that call for adding honey or olive oil are probably worse for you because of the sheer calories by volume, when a packet of calorie free sweetener like erythritol or a half cup of unsweetened applesauce would have the same usefulness in a recipe. Besides, a lifestyle is about flexibility and being able to maintain healthy habits.

Although you said that you can't eat clean...a lot of healthy foods are cheap - lentils, oats, frozen veg. Many are canned and can be microwaved for convenience. But you said no preaching... :)
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,369 Member
    Options
    I think if you can make sure you're lifting weights, getting a gram of protein per pound body weight and eating at a deficit, you'll probably get close to the same results as someone eating "clean."

As a non meat eater, I have enough trouble hitting the 45 g protein that MFP sets for me, I'd hate to target for 120 g. :noway:

Eating at a deficit has worked for me. As long as calories burned > calories consumed, it doesn't seem to matter what those calories come from.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I'm down 18 pounds since mid-November 2012 and have reduced my BF% from ~19% to ~14%.

I lost 20 pounds initially (210 to 190) by doing a little cardio mixed in with some lifting (machines and dumbbells) and eating at a calorie deficit.

I'm currently on Week 10 of StrongLifts (3 times/week) and do cardio (anywhere from 5k to 15k) 2-3 times/week. I've stopped counting calories and just eat when I'm hungry and make relatively smart decisions, especially when it comes to portion sizes.

ymmv
  • iecreamheadaches
    Options
    I definitely eat dirty! Deep fried fish tacos like 3x a week. Lots of bean and cheese burritos, and breakfast burritos. Pizza and Burger at least once a week. You definitely CAN still lose weight while eating like a stoner . . . :smokin:

I started my weight loss while eating like a stoner (as I do quite enjoy smoking weed) and I'm already 14 (probably more than that now slightly as my weigh in isnt til friday). (:
  • iecreamheadaches
    Options
    I'm a very dirty eater!
    I've only been on MFP since mid January and as you can see from my ticker; it's hardly hindered me very much.

Portion control and smart choices are the only thing you need.

That, and a bit of cardio, if you fancy an extra slice of cake ;)

Portion control and smart choices make all the difference in the world. I <3 cardio.
  • uneik3
    uneik3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found that thread! I always get so rigid whenever I'm "on the wagon" that I have such a hard time being flexible when I go visit family or something knocks me "off." I love seing all the success you all are having being so dirty!
  • Chloeshade
    Chloeshade Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started at 231 pounds around two years ago and dropped to 180 eating "dirty" with zero exercise within around six months by sticking to 1800 calories. I've maintained give or take ten pounds since then (although I'm currently trying to lose again).
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I eat food and don't worry about clean/dirty or otherwise, seems to be working for me so far...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/979912-my-journey-thus-far-pic-heavy

ETA: I also do about 6 days of cardio and 4 days of lifting a week though!
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Math is irritating and I have no paitence to count percentages, macros, micros, etc...I'm doing great to count calories....I have lost in total 144 big stinkign pounds.....that's like both Olsen twisns! I've done this with beer occasionally, sometimes a marg....pizza maybe every other week...and the best ever chick fila chicken nuggets. At least once a month I have Mcdonalds Breakfast, #2, yum. I try to not eat crap...I make every effort to make good choices...but the reality is sometimes that isn't cost effective or convenient....and who in their right mind wants to give up pizza & beer????

It can be done....don't go over board & live off chips & chocolate....find a happy comfy balance & you'll be just fine;) Good luck!
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. I'm still a WIP, but down 30 lbs since Feb and I just had a lovely frozen dinner and there's jelly beans in my desk drawer.

I eat lots of veggies, sure, but that's because I'm OBSESSED with snacking and I'd run out of calories with anything else.

Like was said before, all your body sees is carbs and fat and protein. Certain food might make you feel better or worse, but I feel great after eating pizza and life is too short. I'm losing weight to enjoy life more, not give up everything that's good about living...including onion rings.
  • NewMindNewBody
    NewMindNewBody Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    ahh! i'm so glad you guys exist. I thought I'd never smell coffee again!
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I think if you can make sure you're lifting weights, getting a gram of protein per pound body weight and eating at a deficit, you'll probably get close to the same results as someone eating "clean."

As a non meat eater, I have enough trouble hitting the 45 g protein that MFP sets for me, I'd hate to target for 120 g. :noway:

Eating at a deficit has worked for me. As long as calories burned > calories consumed, it doesn't seem to matter what those calories come from.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I'm just here for the cake.

me too!

That's why we're friends! :chocolatecakeforyou:
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    exactly !! protein my *kitten*! High carb high sugar lots of yummy fat and protein is never even considered!! Dirty Filthy amazing fun fat loss!!! ahhhh the protein Myth is still alive i see;)
  • rosiecotton24
    rosiecotton24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm a dirty eater too!

Have lost 31 pounds...going from 161 to 130 and my secret weapon is Dominos pizza every day for lunch!

I LOVE fast food and still have lots of ''naughty'' food just in MUCH smaller quantities . Now I have a small personal 4 slice pizza (around 604 cals) and savour every mouthful whereas before I would eat a 12 slices plus garlic bread and wings all to myself!!

However, I do eat a light breakfast of fruit and usually veg or lentils and rice for dinner

Works for me...I am officially the lightest weight I have ever been in my adult life!! :smile:

I am so glad to read stuff like this! Years ago I lost 50 pounds- and basically ate about anything I wanted- just less of it and I exercised quite a bit. Over the years, I got lazy and gained it all back. Last summer/fall I got back at it again, and lost 24 pounds. But then went through some stressful months (death of my dad and then my grandpa, going to school & working, etc). I went back to my bad habits and gained about 10 pounds back.
    Now I want to get serious again. I keep hearing about 'clean" eating. I do not like very many veggies at all (but love fruit). And pizza is my favorite food!! I know I don't have to give up my favorite foods, but kept thinking maybe I should try clean eating!
    I'm happy to hear many eat 'dirty' and still lose weight. I am trying to eat healthier again- more fruit, lots of water, less fast food, etc. :) And getting my exercising in again (that is the biggest key for me!)
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later
  • katrinaevening
    katrinaevening Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this! One of my MFP friends told me I wasn't eating enough veggies and it really hurt (idk why). It's good to know it's possible to lose weight w/o eating veggies all the time!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

I regularly eat meat, fish and eggs. I have 3 tablespoons of nut butter every day and am still usually under MFP's protein limit ... until I went back and noticed that grams of protein weren't entered into a number of my usual foods. Even with that fixed, though, I'd never make 1g/lb of body weight. Not even using my target weight as a goal.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    To me, the key for my weight loss thus far is definitely all about balance.

I try to eat healthy not just for weight loss, but for better nutrition as well. But I definitely still enjoy my treats, I just try to get good quality ones that fill you. I love sweets, so I've made allowance for my chocolate, usually every day. To me, that is not "dirty". Nothing wrong with chocolate. But I could not eat McDonald's or Domino's everyday, the calories, fat, and salt are just sky high and I would have a hard time trying to burn it up enough to continue to be able to lose weight.

But I still definitely enjoy eating out, I eat out at least 3 times a week for lunch, usually Mom and Pop type ethnic foods, like Thai, Portuguese, Brazilian, Puerto Rican, etc and have still been able to lose weight. Someone mentioned Portuguese pastel de natas (custard cups). Love them! Ate one today for lunch in fact, lol. But my meals I cook at home I try to make as healthy as possible, like turkey, chicken, fish, brown rice, and lots of veggies. I love fruits and veggies as well and incorporate them into my diet too.

Balance is the key for me!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!