Outraged!

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    wow...so they are saying that if I come in there with a grand to spend, they wouldn't want it?
    ummm.....not a smart business move, but oh well, maybe they'll go under haha!:indifferent:

No they want your money, they don't want you to wear their clothes unless you can fit in them. They don't prevent people from buying it, the clothes themselves and the sizes they make prevent the people they don't want from wearing them.
    I'm sure they get plenty of money from people who don't/can't wear their clothes who buy them for others.
  • LeeshLove
    LeeshLove Posts: 197
    Options
    Personally I don't care, I don't like their stores anyway! All the stores are dark so can't see anything, and they smell funny! Yeah, I agree that the statement he made is appalling, and I disagree with the image he is trying to project. But ultimately I would never shop at that store anyway!
  • bhbarros
    bhbarros Posts: 101
    Options
    The CEO can have his opinion--that doesn't affect me, and I couldn't be bothered. I fit into their clothes, but I'm not a regular, loyal customer. I have a few of their tops, though.

What I have a problem with is the notion that plus-sized girls are "uncool" or "not good-looking". I remember kids getting teased mercilessly in middle school for not fitting into a certain size or wearing a certain brand. That a man who caters specifically to that age group can justify and even encourage that kind of bullying is frankly disgusting to me.

And for all of the people defending him by arguing that "all stores have cut-offs", and to those of you who (hopefully jokingly) argued that Lane Bryant is the exact same way:

THE INTENT IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. When the Children's Place doesn't offer adult-sized clothing, it isn't because they think adults are "icky" and "ugly." When Lane Bryant only offers plus-sized clothing, it isn't because they think SKINNY people are hideous.

With A&F, the CEO has made it explicitly clear that the reason they cater to smaller women is because they find larger women unattractive, uncool, and ugly. It is a negative message, instead of an empowering one.

I won't shop there, and that is my right as a consumer when I am displeased with the ethical stand of the company's owners.
    It's like the Chick Fil' A situation a few months back. The CEO is entitled to his opinion, but I am entitled to mine, too, and if I am disgusted enough to boycott the store, then so be it.

thats right, power to the feminists! How dare you try to force woman into the "hot" box that society desires....lets march on DC ladies....!

Sarcasm, how attractive. Look, I get it. We don't want people to be unhealthy. That's the purpose of this site.
    But tearing down overweight people is never the answer--especially when those overweight people are at a vulnerable age.

That being said, I am a feminist, though I think targeting this CEO wouldn't solve a freaking thing. It is society's perception of women that is messed up, and he is just a member of the star-struck, deluded masses.

Ok - I will take my wise as# hat off and put on my serious one. It is a Free Market and the CEO can sell and/or market to whatever group he says fit. You at the same time have the right to buy, or not buy his produce. However, his catering to skinny "hot" people is no different then walmart catering to low income people. In business you find your niche and exploit it for profit gain/maximization ...

Ok - wise *kitten* hat back now...i

How is that any different than what I said in my original comment? I know that stores must find their niche in order to survive--but most stores don't shame and insult all those who DON'T fit into their little niche, and that's where A&F's CEO went wrong.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    wow...so they are saying that if I come in there with a grand to spend, they wouldn't want it?
    ummm.....not a smart business move, but oh well, maybe they'll go under haha!:indifferent:

It's a toss up

Yes, not marketing to overweight/obese people is a huge market to lose on.. but look at how much attention and those on social media are giving this jerk? I can't believe people actually buy their clothes :laugh:
  • lyssad86
    lyssad86 Posts: 31
    Options
    The CEO can have his opinion--that doesn't affect me, and I couldn't be bothered. I fit into their clothes, but I'm not a regular, loyal customer. I have a few of their tops, though.

What I have a problem with is the notion that plus-sized girls are "uncool" or "not good-looking". I remember kids getting teased mercilessly in middle school for not fitting into a certain size or wearing a certain brand. That a man who caters specifically to that age group can justify and even encourage that kind of bullying is frankly disgusting to me.

And for all of the people defending him by arguing that "all stores have cut-offs", and to those of you who (hopefully jokingly) argued that Lane Bryant is the exact same way:

THE INTENT IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. When the Children's Place doesn't offer adult-sized clothing, it isn't because they think adults are "icky" and "ugly." When men's stores fail to sell dresses and skirts, it's not because they think girls have cooties. When Lane Bryant only offers plus-sized clothing, it isn't because they think SKINNY people are hideous.

With A&F, the CEO has made it explicitly clear that the reason they cater to smaller women is because they find larger women unattractive, uncool, and ugly. It is a negative message, instead of an empowering one.

I won't shop there, and that is my right as a consumer when I am displeased with the ethical stand of the company's owners.
    It's like the Chick Fil' A situation a few months back. The CEO is entitled to his opinion, but I am entitled to mine, too, and if I am disgusted enough to boycott the store, then so be it.

Yep. This.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

THE INTENT IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. When the Children's Place doesn't offer adult-sized clothing, it isn't because they think adults are "icky" and "ugly." When Lane Bryant only offers plus-sized clothing, it isn't because they think SKINNY people are hideous.

thats right, power to the feminists! How dare you try to force woman into the "hot" box that society desires....lets march on DC ladies....!

Sarcasm, how attractive. Look, I get it. We don't want people to be unhealthy. That's the purpose of this site.
    But tearing down overweight people is never the answer--especially when those overweight people are at a vulnerable age.

That being said, I am a feminist, though I think targeting this CEO wouldn't solve a freaking thing. It is society's perception of women that is messed up, and he is just a member of the star-struck, deluded masses.

Ok - I will take my wise as# hat off and put on my serious one. It is a Free Market and the CEO can sell and/or market to whatever group he says fit. You at the same time have the right to buy, or not buy his produce. However, his catering to skinny "hot" people is no different then walmart catering to low income people. In business you find your niche and exploit it for profit gain/maximization ...

How is that any different than what I said in my original comment? I know that stores must find their niche in order to survive--but most stores don't shame and insult all those who DON'T fit into their little niche, and that's where A&F's CEO went wrong.

Yes but it's getting media attention. Most of their clothes won't fit people with real bodies anyway so they will most likely still maintain their customer base. NOW, if they made a homophobic or racist comment, I guarantee that base would dwindle
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I don't think anyone is really disagreeing with your points.

I don't see a difference between catering to smaller people, or plus sized people, or men or children or whatever or anything wrong with it.
    I do see the issue with what he said, I don't think anyone here has agreed with his stance. I don't think anyone defended his stance, only his right to have it
    But honestly, there are tons of stores that do the exact same thing, they aren't just as bluntly honest about it.

You'd be surprised. Some people on this thread, and on the article I read, are agreeing with him.

It's true, though, that this problem spans beyond one CEO and one store. But when these stories arise, I think it IS important to take a strong stand. If this man made these statements and NO ONE reacted, the "uncool" bigger girls might think that the CEO's sentiment is shared by the wider populous, and that's NOT okay.

I'm sure there are people who agree with him, I just haven't seen anyone outright agree with his stance on this thread.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I was referring to the fact that people somehow find this offensive. Its a free market/free country deal with it. If you want the State to determine what is approved and/or not approved for sale then move to communist China or Stalinist Russia.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    That's it. I'm boycotting Lane Bryant because they don't offer my size.. So outrageous!!!!

I'm looking forward to the day when I get kicked out of Lane Bryant because they don't have any choices for me there. :smile: Congrats on the 89 lbs loss - just fantastic!
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options

Yep. And I guarantee you now the extra publicity he is getting is going to increase brand loyalty. Its real genius how he pulled it out. And the media are just taking the bait. Whoever is his PR guy is gonna get a raise.

Segmentation - That is how you survive in the tough retail economy. Unless you are Walmart, you ain't going to succeed trying to appeal to everyone.

IMO: Abercombie is a little kids store with a lousy product for "wannabes". Dunno how on earth the teenagers like it so much. Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers ooze with much more class.

Now I guarantee you if someone made fashion exclusively for larger people that tailored to their fit, they could be real successful in that niche. It exists out there, just someone needs to take a risk and put some capital into it.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I've never shopped at A&F but when my sister was in high school, she did. I will admit I wept a silent tear the day I realized I was too fat to shop at Express. I spent so much money in Express in my early 20s. I'm determined to go buy clothes there when I hit my goal weight.

It never hurt my feelings that they didn't carry my size though. It made me realize that I had gotten quite overweight (though still pending an ankle surgery I didn't start doing anything about it for another year).

What sucks is when you're too large for the stores you love and too small for the stores that cater to the larger ladies. I was stuck there for a couple years. That's the real outrage.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Yes but it's getting media attention. Most of their clothes won't fit people with real bodies anyway so they will most likely still maintain their customer base. NOW, if they made a homophobic or racist comment, I guarantee that base would dwindle

Every body has a real body. Saying that people who fit their clothes don't have a "real" body isn't any better than saying those who don't fit their clothes aren't cool or attractive.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

I was referring to the fact that people somehow find this offensive. Its a free market/free country deal with it. If you want the State to determine what is approved and/or not approved for sale then move to communist China or Stalinist Russia.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anyway, I think it's offensive. It doesn't offend me per se but I see how others find it offensive. I just choose to deal with it differently, I never gave a f about A&F and most people in Canada don't either and I would never buy their crap. Their business should stay in America where people don't care about quality.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

Every body has a real body. Saying that people who fit their clothes don't have a "real" body isn't any better than saying those who don't fit their clothes aren't cool or attractive.

Well it's my opinion and it's mine to have. Their clothes are made for mannequins, those aren't real bodies now are they?
  • bhbarros
    Options

I don't know about that. Will it increase brand loyalty among some? Of course! Some people love scandal.

But think about it this way: approximately 6 percent of the American population is estimated to be gay.
    The average woman is a size 12. The likelihood of someone knowing and loving a plus-sized lady (whether it be their mom, this sister, or their friend) is much more likely than someone being close to a gay person. Fat-shaming and bullying are also becoming increasingly pervasive in the public consciousness.
    I guess what I'm saying is that these insensitive statements are likely to attract much more anger now than ever, and that may translate into losses.
  • wowie69
    wowie69 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had to LOL when I saw this post.
    His quote is from 2006 (verified via Snopes)....and this is news in 2013 to be outraged over?

The real chuckle came when I saw Mike Jeffries. He looks like the resultant offspring of Gary Busey and Eric Stoltz from Mask.
    http://starcasm.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Mike-Jeffries-AF.jpg
    For real - what a horrid looking little man! And HE thinks HE is good looking enough to shop at A&F!? Whoa! Someone kick him OUT!

When I was 5'2 and 125#, I went into A&F and never felt out of place or judged, and at that time in my life I was always told I was too fat (big bust & booty). I think his (albeit ancient) quote was simply a marketing ploy to make teens clamor for their goods to feel exclusive and "good enough" so that they could be "cool"... like they are part of some super exclusive A&F club.

It's just a store. They make their money however they want by catering to whomever they choose. As a consumer you have the choice to shop wherever you'd like, spending your hard earned money. It's all part of our wonderful free world. Enjoy it.

And on a sidenote, the A&F here closed shortly after the recession started in 2008-2009. Prior to that it was a busy place.
  • bhbarros
    Options

Dude, NO ONE IS SAYING THAT.
    I thought it was the right of the consumer in a free market to CHOOSE what to buy? And if something offends them, they have to option to not shop there?

My offense to his statements, and the offense of many others here, is a PERFECT example of the free market economy at work.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    That store stinks anyways, every time I stop by there its disgusting, so they can keep there store.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Dude, NO ONE IS SAYING THAT.
    I thought it was the right of the consumer in a free market to CHOOSE what to buy? And if something offends them, they have to option to not shop there?

My offense to his statements, and the offense of many others here, is a PERFECT example of the free market economy at work.

right, and he has the right to say and push whatever clothing line he wants...
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options

I don't know about that. Will it increase brand loyalty among some? Of course! Some people love scandal.

But think about it this way: approximately 6 percent of the American population is estimated to be gay.
    The average woman is a size 12. The likelihood of someone knowing and loving a plus-sized lady (whether it be their mom, this sister, or their friend) is much more likely than someone being close to a gay person. Fat-shaming and bullying are also becoming increasingly pervasive in the public consciousness.
    I guess what I'm saying is that these insensitive statements are likely to attract much more anger now than ever, and that may translate into losses.

AF attracts middle - upper class predominantly white teens. That's their target market. Teens in general have a high metabolism and are more likely to be in shape (see freshman year of college).

Teens who shop at AF really usually don't give a crap about feelings for "fat people", lets be honest here.

Again this CEO is a PR genius in my opinion, doing this on purpose and now everyone is talking about it and the kids who might buy into the image are gonna pile on. The amount of business they gain vs lose is gonna be substantially in the positive.