Outraged!

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Yes but it's getting media attention. Most of their clothes won't fit people with real bodies anyway so they will most likely still maintain their customer base. NOW, if they made a homophobic or racist comment, I guarantee that base would dwindle

Every body has a real body. Saying that people who fit their clothes don't have a "real" body isn't any better than saying those who don't fit their clothes aren't cool or attractive.

Well it's my opinion and it's mine to have. Their clothes are made for mannequins, those aren't real bodies now are they?

Except that there are real people who wear their clothes, and even more who can fit their clothing, not just mannequins.
  • bhbarros
    bhbarros Posts: 101
    Options
    The CEO can have his opinion--that doesn't affect me, and I couldn't be bothered. I fit into their clothes, but I'm not a regular, loyal customer. I have a few of their tops, though.

What I have a problem with is the notion that plus-sized girls are "uncool" or "not good-looking". I remember kids getting teased mercilessly in middle school for not fitting into a certain size or wearing a certain brand. That a man who caters specifically to that age group can justify and even encourage that kind of bullying is frankly disgusting to me.

And for all of the people defending him by arguing that "all stores have cut-offs", and to those of you who (hopefully jokingly) argued that Lane Bryant is the exact same way:

THE INTENT IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. When the Children's Place doesn't offer adult-sized clothing, it isn't because they think adults are "icky" and "ugly." When Lane Bryant only offers plus-sized clothing, it isn't because they think SKINNY people are hideous.

With A&F, the CEO has made it explicitly clear that the reason they cater to smaller women is because they find larger women unattractive, uncool, and ugly. It is a negative message, instead of an empowering one.

I won't shop there, and that is my right as a consumer when I am displeased with the ethical stand of the company's owners.
    It's like the Chick Fil' A situation a few months back. The CEO is entitled to his opinion, but I am entitled to mine, too, and if I am disgusted enough to boycott the store, then so be it.

thats right, power to the feminists! How dare you try to force woman into the "hot" box that society desires....lets march on DC ladies....!

Sarcasm, how attractive. Look, I get it. We don't want people to be unhealthy. That's the purpose of this site.
    But tearing down overweight people is never the answer--especially when those overweight people are at a vulnerable age.

That being said, I am a feminist, though I think targeting this CEO wouldn't solve a freaking thing. It is society's perception of women that is messed up, and he is just a member of the star-struck, deluded masses.

Ok - I will take my wise as# hat off and put on my serious one. It is a Free Market and the CEO can sell and/or market to whatever group he says fit. You at the same time have the right to buy, or not buy his produce. However, his catering to skinny "hot" people is no different then walmart catering to low income people. In business you find your niche and exploit it for profit gain/maximization ...

Ok - wise *kitten* hat back now...i

How is that any different than what I said in my original comment? I know that stores must find their niche in order to survive--but most stores don't shame and insult all those who DON'T fit into their little niche, and that's where A&F's CEO went wrong.

I was referring to the fact that people somehow find this offensive. Its a free market/free country deal with it. If you want the State to determine what is approved and/or not approved for sale then move to communist China or Stalinist Russia.

Dude, NO ONE IS SAYING THAT.
    I thought it was the right of the consumer in a free market to CHOOSE what to buy? And if something offends them, they have to option to not shop there?

My offense to his statements, and the offense of many others here, is a PERFECT example of the free market economy at work.

right, and he has the right to say and push whatever clothing line he wants...

Isn't that what I've been saying this ENTIRE FREAKING TIME?
    Seriously, what was the point of this drawn out debate if you agree with me?
    AF attracts middle - upper class predominantly white teens. That's their target market. Teens in general have a high metabolism and are more likely to be in shape (see freshman year of college).

Teens who shop at AF really usually don't give a crap about feelings for "fat people", lets be honest here.

Again this CEO is a PR genius in my opinion, doing this on purpose and now everyone is talking about it and the kids who might buy into the image are gonna pile on. The amount of business they gain vs lose is gonna be substantially in the positive.

That remains to be seen. I'm an eternal optimist. I'm in that age group, and I've always fit in their clothes, but I wouldn't shop there anymore. Personally, I hope that business goes down, but if it doesn't, that's fine, too. People can make their own choices--I just choose not to give my money to that store anymore. This is 'Murica after all.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I will be more than happy to see A&F stop taking up space in the malls. Their clothes are nothing special.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    That's why I shop at Wal-Mart.

I walk in and feel like a million bucks.

;)

same with me..I.LOVE WALMART...the clothes I buy ALWAYS FIT!!!!!!!!!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    The CEO can have his opinion--that doesn't affect me, and I couldn't be bothered. I fit into their clothes, but I'm not a regular, loyal customer. I have a few of their tops, though.

What I have a problem with is the notion that plus-sized girls are "uncool" or "not good-looking". I remember kids getting teased mercilessly in middle school for not fitting into a certain size or wearing a certain brand. That a man who caters specifically to that age group can justify and even encourage that kind of bullying is frankly disgusting to me.

And for all of the people defending him by arguing that "all stores have cut-offs", and to those of you who (hopefully jokingly) argued that Lane Bryant is the exact same way:

THE INTENT IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. When the Children's Place doesn't offer adult-sized clothing, it isn't because they think adults are "icky" and "ugly." When Lane Bryant only offers plus-sized clothing, it isn't because they think SKINNY people are hideous.

With A&F, the CEO has made it explicitly clear that the reason they cater to smaller women is because they find larger women unattractive, uncool, and ugly. It is a negative message, instead of an empowering one.

I won't shop there, and that is my right as a consumer when I am displeased with the ethical stand of the company's owners.
    It's like the Chick Fil' A situation a few months back. The CEO is entitled to his opinion, but I am entitled to mine, too, and if I am disgusted enough to boycott the store, then so be it.

thats right, power to the feminists! How dare you try to force woman into the "hot" box that society desires....lets march on DC ladies....!

Sarcasm, how attractive. Look, I get it. We don't want people to be unhealthy. That's the purpose of this site.
    But tearing down overweight people is never the answer--especially when those overweight people are at a vulnerable age.

That being said, I am a feminist, though I think targeting this CEO wouldn't solve a freaking thing. It is society's perception of women that is messed up, and he is just a member of the star-struck, deluded masses.

Ok - I will take my wise as# hat off and put on my serious one. It is a Free Market and the CEO can sell and/or market to whatever group he says fit. You at the same time have the right to buy, or not buy his produce. However, his catering to skinny "hot" people is no different then walmart catering to low income people. In business you find your niche and exploit it for profit gain/maximization ...

How is that any different than what I said in my original comment? I know that stores must find their niche in order to survive--but most stores don't shame and insult all those who DON'T fit into their little niche, and that's where A&F's CEO went wrong.

Yes but it's getting media attention. Most of their clothes won't fit people with real bodies anyway so they will most likely still maintain their customer base. NOW, if they made a homophobic or racist comment, I guarantee that base would dwindle

I don't know about that. Will it increase brand loyalty among some? Of course! Some people love scandal.

But think about it this way: approximately 6 percent of the American population is estimated to be gay.
    The average woman is a size 12. The likelihood of someone knowing and loving a plus-sized lady (whether it be their mom, this sister, or their friend) is much more likely than someone being close to a gay person. Fat-shaming and bullying are also becoming increasingly pervasive in the public consciousness.
    I guess what I'm saying is that these insensitive statements are likely to attract much more anger now than ever, and that may translate into losses.

I thought about that, I get it. In America, that is the reality but unfortunately, people are materialistic and will keep buying A&F products. Personally, I don't know anyone who supports this store in Canada anyway. Cheap clothing, overpriced, annoying employees, better competition..

I don't think A&F is going to lose very much because that obese/overweight market weren't buying their clothes anyway. People fat shame everyday, talk poorly about their bodies, even those of us who claim to hate bullying do it. It will attract anger but people will find other things to be angry about. It's the American way. I hope you remain as passionate about this two weeks from now as you are now but as much as I hate their company, I don't see it really affecting their sales that much.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

Every body has a real body. Saying that people who fit their clothes don't have a "real" body isn't any better than saying those who don't fit their clothes aren't cool or attractive.

Well it's my opinion and it's mine to have. Their clothes are made for mannequins, those aren't real bodies now are they?

Except that there are real people who wear their clothes, and even more who can fit their clothing, not just mannequins.

That's nice, I don't really care though. I just like making my post count go up.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    If the CEO of a sports car dealer made a statement that he hates people that drive SUVs, considers them all degenerates, and unworthy of his presence.....would I buy a sports car from him? If it was the sports car I liked the most, yes!

I'd be more interested to see if actual people who shop at A&F are at all swayed by such statements. Because that's the only people that matter in this argument.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

That's nice, I don't really care though. I just like making my post count go up.

Yes, I've seen you say that or similar before.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    If the CEO of a sports car dealer made a statement that he hates people that drive SUVs, considers them all degenerates, and unworthy of his presence.....would I buy a sports car from him? If it was the sports car I liked the most, yes!

I'd be more interested to see if actual people who shop at A&F are at all swayed by such statements. Because that's the only people that matter in this argument.

Good analogy.

Teens are the probably the main demographic that fits their clothes... I guarantee they will continue to shop there until it's not "cool" to anymore.
  • bhbarros
    bhbarros Posts: 101
    Options

I was referring to the fact that people somehow find this offensive. Its a free market/free country deal with it. If you want the State to determine what is approved and/or not approved for sale then move to communist China or Stalinist Russia.

I thought it was the right of the consumer in a free market to CHOOSE what to buy? And if something offends them, they have to option to not shop there?

My offense to his statements, and the offense of many others here, is a PERFECT example of the free market economy at work.

AF attracts middle - upper class predominantly white teens. That's their target market. Teens in general have a high metabolism and are more likely to be in shape (see freshman year of college).

Teens who shop at AF really usually don't give a crap about feelings for "fat people", lets be honest here.

Again this CEO is a PR genius in my opinion, doing this on purpose and now everyone is talking about it and the kids who might buy into the image are gonna pile on. The amount of business they gain vs lose is gonna be substantially in the positive.

That remains to be seen. I'm an eternal optimist. I'm in that age group, and I've always fit in their clothes, but I wouldn't shop there anymore. Personally, I hope that business goes down, but if it doesn't, that's fine, too. People can make their own choices--I just choose not to give my money to that store anymore. This is 'Murica after all.

wow you like to yell hugh...

I win, your pissed...

bahahahahahahahahaha

I'm not mad, nor am I yelling. I just don't think emphasis is well translated on the internet, and I wouldn't want to hurt your poor brain making you think about which words I'm stressing in my post.

And "winning" a debate involves having an opposing argument, which you do not.
    QED.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

Quotes or it didn't happen.

So, do you wear A&F clothes or do you just like to play troll?
  • sevfam
    sevfam Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Im a 110, 51 year old woman. I cant shop there...I dont care. I also cant shop at Lane Bryant...I don't care.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

I win, your pissed...

bahahahahahahahahaha

lols for days
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

I think the post was deleted, if not I am too lazy to search it, its the one about the brother who didn't like the guy hitting on his sister.

I am pretty sure earlier in the thread I said I don't shop there because it makes me feel old because I hate the loud music and how dark it is (even when I wasn't as old). I had never even noticed the sizing because I only walked through the store. I haven't ever worn anything of their before this, and I won't now either.

I don't understand how I am trolling at all. First time I have ever even been accused of it. Although its odd that someone who is arguing for the sake of a post count is accusing me of trolling....
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

I think the post was deleted, if not I am too lazy to search it, its the one about the brother who didn't like the guy hitting on his sister.

I am pretty sure earlier in the thread I said I don't shop there because it makes me feel old because I hate the loud music and how dark it is (even when I wasn't as old). I had never even noticed the sizing because I only walked through the store.

I don't understand how I am trolling at all. First time I have ever even been accused of it. Although its odd that someone who is arguing for the sake of a post count is accusing me of trolling....

Your response is way too long.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I've never shopped there because their clothes look shoddy and cheap, which I suppose could look cool to some people.
  • kishkoway
    kishkoway Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm not sure that Lane Bryant or King Direct (or any other target market company) is outright implying anyone NOT able to wear their sizes aren't acceptable. But isn't A&F the company that had a big thing with Mike "the Situation" Sorrentino from Jersey Shore? I mean really? :D Also lets not forget Tommy Hilfiger made big statements that he didn't want anyone poor to wear his stuff and that didn't work out :D Private company can do and say what they want, but that doesn't mean people can't share their opinions and thoughts, dude sure did.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    gty_michael_jeffries_abercrombie_mi_121019_wg.jpg

Methinks someone is just overcompensating. He can say whatever he wants. His brand is crap.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I win, your pissed...

bahahahahahahahahaha

Also, my name is not Hugh.

learn to english. :D

when that is all you have left, then I really win ...

I'm like charlie sheen on a cocaine binge with three porn stars...winning!
  • quiltingtink
    Options
    well stated