Can you forgive a cheater?

Options

Replies

• Svolt
    Svolt Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My answer: I think you can forgive but you'll never forget and it could cause a strain on the relationship because of trust issues.

I forgave and he cheated on me again, a few years later. Once a cheater, always a cheater. It did strain our relationship and it was very hard for me to trust him ever again. I should have left him the first time it happened. What's that saying: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."...
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I was cheated on recently, it was the second time by the same person, I forgave the first time, never threw it in her face, but I don't think I could forgive anyone again, 1 time is more than enough for me to say goodbye now.
  • Svolt
    Svolt Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Forgiving was easier for me , but forgetting is hard , my personal incident actually made me more insecure and scared or scarred :smile:
    Yes, trust was and still is very very hard to build again with anyone in my personal experience. I did not stay with the person and they continued to cheat on each person after that, which one can't really be too surprised at.

If I can/t trust someone, what is left there to the relationship?

drunk or sober cheating? What difference does it make?? Commitment is commitment in my book.

^^^^^^^^^
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I'll forgive her. .I'm very forgiving. . but only after I dump her. . I'm not staying with a cheater ever.. .ever again, and I've learned from brutal experience that forgiving a cheater is a doormat move that simply exonerates the cheater for her (or his) misdeeds. . . nope. bye bye. . and uh. . don't forget your stuff. . it's out in the street.
  • MelodyinGa
    MelodyinGa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am going through this as we speak. My husband of 11 years has cheated and I tried to work through it for the past 7 months. I now know I can never trust him again. I do not want to spend the rest of my life always wondering and feeling second best. I also do not want my daughter to think it is ok to be unfaithful and break vows that were said in front of God. I have always said I would leave if it ever happened to me and I was right...I choose to be respected...I choose to be number one.

I am so sorry that you're going through this. I, too, was cheated on and tried to work it out even 2 years into our separation. We are now in year 4 of our separation with the divorce now with the courts. We were involved in ministry and even counseled couples in crisis! You can't make it work unless the cheater is truly repentant, and in my case, he wasn't. My daughter and I are doing fine now! I just don't think I'll ever be able to trust another man for I trusted my husband COMPLETELY.
  • MelodyinGa
    Options
    I'll forgive her. .I'm very forgiving. . but only after I dump her. . I'm not staying with a cheater ever.. .ever again, and I've learned from brutal experience that forgiving a cheater is a doormat move that simply exonerates the cheater for her (or his) misdeeds. . . nope. bye bye. . and uh. . don't forget your stuff. . it's out in the street.

YES YES and YES!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    then the question is raised... is it cheating if you're asked to do it by the S.O., then you do it again without asking.....

If the S.O. approves it is not cheating. If you do it again without the lines being drawn clearly that it is okay, it is cheating.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    My ex cheated on me about 2 years into our relationship. I tried to forgive and stayed with him for a few months after but bottom line was I couldn't forget. While he was drunk, he still chose to do what he did and I was humiliated and hurt.

While people, like me, may try to forgive, usually the relationship will fail eventually...

Also we all need to find someone that just won't do that to us! :)
    Wow. Almost my story exactly! Relationship failed because I couldn't forget, but because I was able to forgive we've still been friends for the past 20 years. Seriously weirds out my sister....
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could. I might want to, and try, but in the end, when we had a fight or I got mad or grumpy or resentful over anything else, it would creep back and add to it all.

What they said
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    JBsCrazyGirl Posts: 337
    Options
    Here's what I think.

You cheat on me,
    You LOOSE me.

There is no reason to cheat. I would rather dump someone/ be dumbed than leave them wondering or be left wondering... all the questions:

How long has this been going on?
    Why would this happen?
    Why would you do this?
    Who knows?
    Why...?
    on and on...

Maybe once they feel that pain, forgiveness is possible.. but to take them back? be taken back?
    I would hope there is more respect then that on both sides.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I have told my husband (whom I have been with for almost 5 years, we have been married for a little over a year and a half) that if he does ever cheat on me, then i will have to decide on what is best for me and our child, and am hoping I never have to cross that bridge. Because I have been cheated on by previous boyfriends, its hard for me to trust males as it is, but i have been able to trust my husband completely.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Can I/ have I forgiven? Nope, they broke a trust and once that has been broke there is no going back.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Ug, I can hardly read these responses without getting angry again, because this is me, too. It has been three years since my husband's infidelity (which lasted three years) and I can't get over it. I just can't. I live day to day. Most times I push it way to the back of my brain and try to make it through the days, weeks, etc.

I know he's not doing it now (ok, I THINK he's not doing it now), but honestly, I am just trying to hold out until the kids are grown. But my youngest is nine.

So tell me, why do I suddenly feel like having chocolate and peanut butter in mass quantities? Screw that, I am getting for for ME, not for him.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    IDK...I'm still trying to forgive...It hurts your self assurance, self esteem, you feel like a joke, and wonder what other big assed lies you don't know about. You question your lovability, your judgement, your self respect. And then you wonder, but isn't love supposed to conquer all? and how am I supposed to move on...

all of it sucks ...there is no comfort in anything.

tumblr_mmd0k2R3Ay1rxlypgo1_500.gif
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Nope. This is the ONE thing I will not forgive. I despise lying like this - it's so irrational. If you don't want to be with the person you are with, then don't be with them. If you want to have sex with other people, then find someone who also wants an open relationship. Just don't lie about it, It makes zero sense. Lying about this to me is SUCH a MAJOR character flaw. I love sex with my hubby, and I can't imagine having secrets between us that would ruin the trust we have in each other. I do have friends who have an open marriage and it works for them and they are happy together, so to each his/her own. But don't lie about it.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Giving forgiveness isn't to excuse their wrong. Forgiveness is for you to move on. Nothing but dust in the review mirror!
  • MelodyinGa
    Options
    Giving forgiveness isn't to excuse their wrong. Forgiveness is for you to move on. Nothing but dust in the review mirror!

^^^^^
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    The rule is, if he cheats, he has to bring her home and make her help clean the house. :wink:
  • ghdsmais
    ghdsmais Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There seems to be a lot of Katy Perry songs running through my head!!!!!!!!!
  • badjuju775
    badjuju775 Posts: 47
    Options
    Hubby and I both cheated and we both forgave each other. I have let it go and moved on, but I can tell he doesn't trust me and it causes a lot of stress on our relationship.