Options
    Ya'll are still here arguing?!

I love it, please continue. :laugh: :laugh: :drinker:

Gives me some free entertainment! :smokin:

I wonder if this will stoke the fire, 2 words:

"Vegetarian keto".

Slowly backs out of room . :bigsmile:

LOL, jerk! :laugh:

My opinion of veggie keto: Possible, but why?
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not special people....please stop pretending they are

They are special if you have a metabolic disorder, sorry.

Im talking to the majority of people here, not the minority. sorry should have clarified

I understand, but you'd be surprised just how much of the general population has a metabolic disorder. Still a minority, of course, but growing.

I'm actually inclined to agree here. NIDDM is one of the fastest growing diseases in the U.S.
    NIDDM is basically insulin resistance run amok (which then causes beta cell burnout).

Diabetics only account for about 6% of the population, but if you add in "borderline" or "pre-diabetics" that bumps up to about 20% of the overall population.
  • rodeooo
    rodeooo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good reading here. I am trying to start a ketogenic diet and having a little trouble getting going.
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options

"Vegetarian keto".

It's my calling. :bigsmile:

Religious reasons... I'm Hindu, a white Italian-American convert, hence the name Jainarayan (Jeh nah rah yun, means Victory to God in Hindi).
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

"Vegetarian keto".

It's my calling. :bigsmile:

Religious reasons... I'm Hindu, a white Italian-American convert, hence the name Jainarayan (Jeh nah rah yun, means Victory to God in Hindi).

Oh, of course. My bad. Certainly a good reason to go veggie. :)
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I think it is really unheatthy to eliminate an entire food group....just balance your meals. Kegogenic is just low carb which is NOT healthy.

Baaahahahahahaha. I needed a good laugh this morning as I eat my BK Triple Stacker with no sauce or bun.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I have been on a low carb/high protein diet since 1999! Also known as a ketogenic diet. I feel great and have energy to spare.

Still have 36 lbs to lose after 14 years of this "diet"? One could say you're doing it wrong.
  • Thorbjornn
    Options

No worries, actually only about 30% of Hindus are vegetarian, contrary to popular belief. Along the sea coasts and rivers of India they eat fish as a staple, since nothing will grow in the sandy and salty soil near the ocean.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

No worries, actually only about 30% of Hindus are vegetarian, contrary to popular belief. Along the sea coasts and rivers of India they eat fish as a staple, since nothing will grow in the sandy and salty soil near the ocean.

Min,
    if nothing else, great legit reason for lots of spicy curry powder!
    <--Cal from BB
  • Thorbjornn
    Options

Min,
    if nothing else, great legit reason for lots of spicy curry powder!
    <--Cal from BB

O hai!

And garam masala... and turmeric... :bigsmile:
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    In no way am I advocating a certain lifestyle, as I said in my previous posts I am against keto for a regular person to diet off of.

Non bodybuilders should adapt to a certain way of life and learn to live by eating at an isocaloric state while they are at a healthy weight.

Dropping carbohydrates is one of the better ways to lean out due to the lower caloric intake and the physiological requirements of fat. I am not talking about entering a state of ketosis. I am saying that you need a certain amount of protein, and a certain amount of EFA. the rest of it can be distributed as you please.

For the regular person will follow these "fad" diets and will eventually get tired of it. They do not know how to diet by eating a well rounded diet of carbohydrates, fats, and protein. Personally I can look at food ingredients and have a general idea about how many calories it has vs what the average person is capable of.

People should not follow a "fad" diet, because they will never know how to maintain their weight and will eventually get back up to their former fat self.

The true question if people should follow a diet is...

Is this sustainable? Can you live the rest of your life like this?
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I have been on a low carb/high protein diet since 1999! Also known as a ketogenic diet. I feel great and have energy to spare.

Still have 36 lbs to lose after 14 years of this "diet"? One could say you're doing it wrong.

exactly.

making a claim like that of saying it has been working for you, you shouldnt be cutting down unless you are a bodybuilder who is bulking and cutting
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Reddy, Savoia, Dat,

Outside of this post, I will no longer make time to respond to you. I think you're idiots, you think I'm an idiot. Fine by me.

Also, I'd suggest going to a new forum and starting up a thread like "Carbs r da betz!" and having your little circle jerk over there, instead of posting your ideals where they're not welcome.

i just saw this.

love this guy. he makes me giggle. :laugh:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Oh lawd, this thread is still going?
  • Tammyrph
    Tammyrph Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've recently stumbled up the Ketogenic Diet, and I kinda understand the science behind it. Anyone Currently doing this diet or have done it in the past that can shed some light? Please add me as a friend, so that I can look at your diaries. Thanks!

I am sure some of those who are using this method wont enjoy reading this post but I am going to explain this in how its used for medical purposes:

I have son now 20 who has a seizure disorder at age 2 we used this diet on him to reduce or eliminate all seizures. It did work and here is why:
    Ketosis is the state where instead of burning glucose you are burning fats
    while in Ketosis your body will "shut down" parts that are not working properly because you are in starvation mode and it needs to conserve its energy running your needed body functions.
    IF you fast within 2 days you will be in ketosis. when you eat you will come out and your body will burn the fuels as its ment.
    THIS DIET IS FOLLOWED WITH EXTREMELY CLOSE MONITORING BY AN MD AND DIETATITION

when we were helping him not only grow and gain weight as any child should all while micicing a fasting situation we had to follow a specific equation to let us know how many Kcals he got. from there we had to calculate his Kcals to equal a ratio of 4grams FAT:1g Protien+carb

after coming off the diet his seizures came back after a some years. We requested to do this diet again and we were denied do to the fact it is DANGEROUS FOR ADULTS to be on this diet.

Side effects an adult may have are: Shortness of breath or trouble breathing, unable to fall into a deep resting sleep (important in weight loss), extreme mood swings, headaches, and list goes on. Not to mention if you are eating alot of fats think about those arteries. We even at 2y-6years old had to do a cholesterol test every 2 months on a little boy.

If this diet works for you great. But if you are thinking this may be the diet for you, look into much further and pay attention to any signs your body is giving you. Mayo clinic and John's Hopkins has tons of information on the uses for this diet.
  • Tammyrph
    Tammyrph Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Keto is just another caloric deficit diet, there is nothing special about it. If carbs are what you wish to cut out go for it. But from my experience it seems to be less sustainable in the long run(purely anecdotal experience)

actually this is entirely wrong please see my above post.
  • MsQuacklady
    MsQuacklady Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm with Tammy...I recently (within the last 2 months ) did Keto -- 10 g carbs or less per day.....after 8 days....difficulty breathing....sleeping....waited another 2 weeks as I thought it to be a 'carb' flu ..... big mistake. I've now re-evaluated MY situation and have opted for non-processed, non-white foods with as little sugar as possible...feel much better !
  • CoachTommyB
    CoachTommyB Posts: 43
    Options
    Oh lawd, this thread is still going?
    I'm sorry I created a Monster!
  • SixHats
    SixHats Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Outstanding find.

This excerpt is fascinating:

"It was further shown that a ketogenic diet could act as a mood stabilizer in bipolar illness (28). Beneficial changes in the brain energy profile have been observed in subjects who are on a ketogenic diet (28). This is a significant observation because cerebral hypometabolism is a characteristic feature of those who suffer from depression or mania (28)."

I can agree with this. Although I'm not bipolar I have suffered with depression and I have found my keto diet has helped me with it. My mood is much more even and I no longer feel like life isn't worth it.
  • tiggus
    tiggus Posts: 2
    Options
    I've been doing keto off and on for the last year so I thought I would toss my .02 in because some people seem to think this is an "all or nothing" diet. Just because you go low carb/high fat for awhile does not mean you cannot ever eat "normal" again people.

I do it for a couple months, lose a good amount of weight, then usually do a normal 40/30/30 for awhile in which I will still lose weight if I eat at a deficit. Like some have mentioned, you need to be educated before you do a diet like this because otherwise you will mess it up and make yourself miserable and/or get poor results. if you are someone who does not do well on low carb you will be miserable no matter what and SHOULD NOT DO IT.

Personally my body responds fabulously to low carb and it makes me feel great, lots more energy, and I feel sharper. The very first time I got fat adapted I had a few days of very slight keto flu, since then I have never had any side effect going into or out of ketosis. I practice CKD so I carb up for 24 hours on the weekends to regulate my hormones(leptin) and replenish glucose for lifting.

I eat eggs, bacon, fish, broccoli, spinach, steak, heavy cream, protein bars, etc. When I get bored of being so strict with my carbs I stop and do a 40/30/30 and eat things like cereal again. Educate yourself and a diet just becomes a tool and you can switch them around to meet your current needs/wants. I have done a lot of research on keto and most of the fears regarding it are thoroughly debunked many times over. Does not mean it is a better diet, but it is far from a bad option if you listen to your body.