A fat girl who likes being fat?1?!?

Options

Replies

• lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    This whole thread is stupid. Utterly ridiculous.

I know. I've gotta get out of here ... sanity is calling :indifferent:
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    yeah silly stuff!!:) people have wayyyyyy too much free time
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    yeah silly stuff!!:) people have wayyyyyy too much free time

It is Saturday.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I think you all were just a part of an experiment, of social response and acceptance of obese people you don't want to lose weight....I'm just saying!!!!! Set up!!!

Maybe. It doesn't bother me, though.

Me neither, helpful in keeping my friend's list neat and tidy.

Ahhhh! Isn't it nice to be able to spot the true colors of other members? Why just yesterday one in particular on this thread was going in and on annnnnd onnnn annnnnnd onnnnnnn about not judging, or attacking others etc.... and who would be one of the first to come in mud slinging! It is always interesting to watch.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I'm still really confused about what people are so upset about? This is a website about changing your lifestyle and getting healthy. OP came on here, said she wanted to change her lifestyle and get healthy. She also said she loves herself the way she is now, even though she's overweight.

So what's the f***ing problem? Here is a girl who is obviously very mentally secure with herself, something very few of us can truly say. Now, she wants to treat her body right by eating better and moving more (like pretty much all of us on this site). That's literally all her post was about. That's it. Nothing else. Nada.

Still so confused over here.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Scanning through a few of the comments here, it's obvious that this site has a large number of people that think numbers are more important than a healthy lifestyle. I would love to have someone as positive as you as a mfp friend.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Op - you never actually had to 'stick out like a sore thumb' you put yourself out there and did that.

You could have just posted about wanting support for a more healthy lifestyle, after all that is the crux of your joining here right?
    In fact your whole body love thing is irrelevant, you are here for the same reason as each and every one of us - to feel better.

You made yourself a target, why do that? When it was entirely unnecessary?

^this.
  • MarcPower
    MarcPower Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The title is definitely provocative. I think a more appropriate title would be "A fat girl who likes being herself". I think it is fantastic to be happy in your skin. There are many people who aren't blessed with being happy with themselves. However, being happy should not be related to your weight/size...regardless of whether if it is a positive relationship or a negative relationship.

Fueling your body with healthier food is a great thing and will only make you feel better both on the inside and the outside. I think it is awesome that you have decided to fuel your body in a healthier way and you will likely lose weight. I think you'll be just as happy with yourself if you do end up losing weight and shrink down a bit. Your ebullient personality and positive view on life will be there and that is what makes you beautiful!

Congrats with this decision and welcome to MFP.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    I'll just say that some of my best friends in the world are Samoans. Very happy, and very big people. Nice as hell and will help you with just about anything. They don't judge each others weights nor others. BUT, because of weight they do have issues with diabetes and health.
    So if it's health you're concerned with, then the NUMBER ONE risk predictor is weight. The more you weigh (for your frame), the higher the risk.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • enigmachik
    enigmachik Posts: 150
    Options
    being comfortable in your skin doesn't change the fact that you're fat. period.

I'm sure the OP had no idea she was fat. What a service you just provided her by letting her know. Oh wait, it's right there in her username. I guess you weren't so helpful after all.
  • CarolElaine25
    CarolElaine25 Posts: 102
    Options
    Dear OP: Sending a friend request your way (which I very rarely do to people I don't know personally - all but two of my MFP friends are people In know IRL).

I'm a big girl and have been for most of my life. It's true that I'm looking to lose weight - to get down to 200 lbs because that's when I physically and mentally felt most comfortable in my own skin. I love my curves and and love my (mostly) hourglass figure.

BTW, I'm 47 and have excellent blood sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure, etc. Most of the physical issues that I do have are joint and tendon related, but are the result of injuries brought about by a car accident, marathon training in crappy athletic shoes and stepping just the wrong way when dancing, bowling and carrying heavy boxes down stairs. My asthma is heredity - weak lungs run in my family, but unlike the other (more svelte) members of my family who have it, I didn't have problems until I hit 40. And yes, I do have arthritis - in my neck, where it's been bugging the crap out of me since I was in my early 30s and still under 200 lbs (though barely).

I'm sure you've seen this link:

http://www.themilitantbaker.com/2013/03/things-no-one-will-tell-fat-girls-so-i.html

Here is what I wrote when I shared in on Facebook:

"I'm currently on a journey to lose some weight. Not because I want to conform to some societal ideal of beauty, but because I felt more comfortable in my skin at 200 lbs. than I currently do at 252 (I've lost about 9 lbs.).

"You may notice that I said 200 lbs. That's my goal. Because I love my curves and I loved having an hourglass figure. I really don't want to get any smaller than that. But I do want to be strong and supple whatever size body I end up with. THAT is my primary goal.

"There's no shame in being a fat girl. Don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise. Exercise and eat well, because that's good for your physical and mental health, not because someone else thinks you should look a certain way. Take care of your gorgeous fat body and it will take care of you.

"And if you're naturally skinny? That's okay, too. You are gorgeous and should never let anyone else tell you otherwise. No one should be ashamed of their body. NO ONE.

"For me, it comes down to the same for everyone. Female and male (who you feel you are, even if that wasn't the genitalia you were born with). Fat and skinny and everyone in between. Exercise and eat well. Be strong. Love yourself. Be the best you that you can possibly be."

Dear OP: keep on rocking your bad-*kitten* self. Exercise your heart out, eat good healthy food (and good decadent food in moderation) and keep loving the body that you have as it gets stronger (which may or may not result in weight-loss). I'll be there to support you.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm still really confused about what people are so upset about? This is a website about changing your lifestyle and getting healthy. OP came on here, said she wanted to change her lifestyle and get healthy. She also said she loves herself the way she is now, even though she's overweight.

So what's the f***ing problem? Here is a girl who is obviously very mentally secure with herself, something very few of us can truly say. Now, she wants to treat her body right by eating better and moving more (like pretty much all of us on this site). That's literally all her post was about. That's it. Nothing else. Nada.

Still so confused over here.

^
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    being comfortable in your skin doesn't change the fact that you're fat. period.

I think being comfortable in ones own skin makes it easier to to improve the physical body. It is amazing what results can be born when self loathing has been removed.
  • brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    It should be about health - not appearance.

My 2 cents.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a misnomer on this site. I'm a fat girl, heavy into body positivity, who has no intentions of not being fat. What?! Crazy, I know!

Lately I've realized just how physically not-so-great I feel, so I'm trying to honor my body by using intuitive eating and moving more. My goal isn't weight loss or changing the way my body looks. My goal is simply feeling better. If the habits I form cause me to lose weight, so be it, but it's not my intention or my goal.

So just from those two paragraphs alone, you can see why I stick out like a sore thumb on a site like this, something that I'm totally aware of! But I still firmly believe that you do better at reaching your goals when you have support, so I figured I'd say hello and try to make some new friends! :) Nerds are a plus, but certainly not necessary!

Fat-pride is ruining this world. Being obese is not only unhealthy, but disgusting. Why sign up on a FITNESS site if you're just going to go around making excuses for being a hambeast? Cut calories, start being active and stop making up excuses and justifications for being a fatass. Change or gtfo hambeast.

Right... people who love themselves are TOTALLY the problem.
  • MarcPower
    MarcPower Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a misnomer on this site. I'm a fat girl, heavy into body positivity, who has no intentions of not being fat. What?! Crazy, I know!

Lately I've realized just how physically not-so-great I feel, so I'm trying to honor my body by using intuitive eating and moving more. My goal isn't weight loss or changing the way my body looks. My goal is simply feeling better. If the habits I form cause me to lose weight, so be it, but it's not my intention or my goal.

So just from those two paragraphs alone, you can see why I stick out like a sore thumb on a site like this, something that I'm totally aware of! But I still firmly believe that you do better at reaching your goals when you have support, so I figured I'd say hello and try to make some new friends! :) Nerds are a plus, but certainly not necessary!

Fat-pride is ruining this world. Being obese is not only unhealthy, but disgusting. Why sign up on a FITNESS site if you're just going to go around making excuses for being a hambeast? Cut calories, start being active and stop making up excuses and justifications for being a fatass. Change or gtfo hambeast.
    Wow. Just wow.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You remind me of this..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2321812/Tammy-Jung-23-feeds-5000-calories-day-funnel-hope-obese-internet-star.html

Not for nothing, but.. Accepting an unhealthy lifestyle as "normal" or "okay" is not acceptable. Normally I woucln't care what you did with your body, but when the masses of people get to be double what they should weigh for a healthy body weight, and subsequently get diabetes, pre-diabetes, heart disease, and the many many other risk factors that being overweight brings with it...

They expect us to come rescue them when their heart gives out/needs an ambulance? seriously? You want health insurance to help pay for the cost of your medication, but you scream when the rates are higher because of your body composition. I'm sorry, I'm not going to shame anyone who is fat, or tell them what I think unless they ask.

But I'm also not going to be your cheerleader. Some of you might take my lack of enthusiasm for your self love as shaming you because of your weight anyway.. and I don't care. It's not okay.

Would you tell a drug addict that it was okay to keep doing drugs? Because they are, essentially the same. (A few pounds overweight is one thing, 20+ and higher.. no.)

There's a lot to be said for loving yourself, but being overweight cannot "be ok".

50 years ago 10% of the population was obese... Now it's 30% and growing, with over 60% obese/overweight.
  • brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options

You sir, are the definition of *kitten*.

Do you even lift?
  • Shr3dded
    Shr3dded Posts: 232
    Options

Right... people who love themselves are TOTALLY the problem.

It's not a matter of loving yourself when projecting a completely unhealthy and disgusting lifestyle in a place where others are attempting to better themselves.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    (I get reminded on a daily basis on this forum how much I hate people in general, especially other women).
    I hate reading things like that, it's sad really.
    I've found that women who hate other women tend to have pretty unlikeable personalities, anyway. Let them be hateful. I'll be over here having a great time with my wonderful, supportive, beautiful, drama-free girlfriends. :-)