A fat girl who likes being fat?1?!?

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    They are saying "go OP" because she's making what sounds like healthy, sustainable changes to take charge of her health without focusing on vanity reasons -- why the need to point out the risks of obesity she's probably aware of? That's my point.
    I do believe she is on the right track, making changes. I also believe most of the posters who encouraged her were more excited about her being happy with being severely overweight than they were with the changes she plans on doing.
    Again, is it wrong that she is happy with her body? NO, like I've said, it's awesome. Is it highly likely that it will affect her health in the future? Unfortunately, yes, it is. I pointed that out because I didn't want it to be lost in the sea of "way to go" responses.

I think they saw her confidence and recognize something they lack, that's all.

You can't assume they lack confidence.

Sure she can. She's got a default degree in psychology thanks to being married to a super shrink for 15 years. Seems legit.

:laugh:
  • strippedandvital
    strippedandvital Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a misnomer on this site. I'm a fat girl, heavy into body positivity, who has no intentions of not being fat. What?! Crazy, I know!

Lately I've realized just how physically not-so-great I feel, so I'm trying to honor my body by using intuitive eating and moving more. My goal isn't weight loss or changing the way my body looks. My goal is simply feeling better. If the habits I form cause me to lose weight, so be it, but it's not my intention or my goal.

So just from those two paragraphs alone, you can see why I stick out like a sore thumb on a site like this, something that I'm totally aware of! But I still firmly believe that you do better at reaching your goals when you have support, so I figured I'd say hello and try to make some new friends! :) Nerds are a plus, but certainly not necessary!

Fat-pride is ruining this world. Being obese is not only unhealthy, but disgusting. Why sign up on a FITNESS site if you're just going to go around making excuses for being a hambeast? Cut calories, start being active and stop making up excuses and justifications for being a fatass. Change or gtfo hambeast.

Right... people who love themselves are TOTALLY the problem.

It's not a matter of loving yourself when projecting a completely unhealthy and disgusting lifestyle in a place where others are attempting to better themselves.

Bettering yourself on the outside doesn't mean *kitten* if you're that ugly inside. Work on bettering yourself inside.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    And he thinks that everyone else is just jealous of her confidence?

No! I never said that -- I said the people who were responding so positively to her were seeing something they lacked. No jealously, but inspiration.

For the post part, I think most of the people making suggestions were really concerned -- there were only a few jerk and who knows what their deal is.
  • Stargrace2
    Stargrace2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Welcome - I didn't read all 15 pages because honestly none of that matters. When I first started out I just wanted to feel better emotionally, my goals were not weight loss. I started out doing really simple weights at my desk. It's been two months now, and I do a whole lot more, and I'm down almost 15 pounds. I didn't make a distinctive "I want to lose weight!" message in my head, I just wanted to do some really simple easy things that I would stick with over time. It (naturally) grew, and here I am. So maybe the same thing will happen with you and your goals - but if not, that's no ones business but your own, and no matter what your goals are, I hope you find the support you want. Good luck. :)
  • Bluebabi
    Bluebabi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I am in a similar boat to you. I definitely want to get healthier but I have no plans of ever being "skinny." I hope you can find motivation! :) Good Luck!
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't believe that SOME here have forgotten rule #1 of Zombieland...

Cardio, cardio cardio cardio.

Also, i think we have hit this point
    running-into-a-wall-o.gif
  • sarahz1442
    sarahz1442 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    that last messed up quoted post is impossible to requote. I'm not an expert about the health risks of being morbidly obese. I'm sure I can google up a study about it if people really disagree with the obvious.

If you're not an expert, you surely can't call someone else out for not being an expert. That's inane. Nobody is saying that morbid obesity isnt unhealthy. The OP, herself, said that she noticed that she wasn't feeling the best. She came here to be HEALTHY but people automatically jumped on her case for being big. Where we diverge paths is the idea that big=unhealthy as well as the thought that one's happiness is dependent on their size. If she's happy being large, she has every right to be. Who says that she can't? Why is her size so important to you?

I'm not the one who claimed that being married to a professional makes me an expert in their field. Not sure what your point is there.

The OP stated that she wants to stay morbidly obese because she is happy with that. My point is that it isn't a healthy way to be and she should actually try and lose weight. I never claimed that ones happiness is dependent on their size. I don't believe that at all. I think that being happy is sort of an inate quality regardless of your situations in life and she's a happy person and good for her for that.

I never said that I was married to a professional. I have my bachelors in behavioral science & am applying to get my masters in Clinical Mental Health or some related topic. I think you have me & another poster confused. Perhaps that's why you have all of this negative energy focused on me?

Well, if you don't condone happiness being dependent on size then I see no reason to needlessly banter with you. I hate bullying esp on people that are looking for help. She clearly said she wanted to be healthier, she just wasn't trying to be vain or doing it to look a certain way. I could care less if she wanted to lose weight. If she eats healthy and exercises she WILL lose weight. So does it matter HOW she wrote her post? Instead, lets give her advice on how to be healthy. Ultimately everyone will be happy. Painfully optimistic people will see her succeed, and people that hate that she's fat will see that she's losing lmfao.

I wasn't talking to you with my post about the person claiming to be an expert because they are married to one. I meant the person who actually did that, not you.
  • brower47
    Options
    I would like to see some peer reviewed studies that show overweight people are more unhealthy.
    Oh my god... woman,just stop pls.....You really are getting ridiculous...
    But meanwhile you can read through this...
    http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/health_risks.htm

Oh no don't stop I am having a good time just hitting refresh and seeing the next great comment LOL

Me quit? Not until it rolls over.

Look people, I wholeheartedly believe in health at every size -- some of you I will genuinely converse with, others... well, I am having some funsies with you.

"wholeheartedly believe in health at EVERY SIZE"

I just... I don't know... REALLY????
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    This. Though I'm bad at my body image stuff, I really need to work on it, so I think it's awesome you love who you are and want to "live long and prosper." ;) Feel free to add me. :D
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, congratulations on figuring out how to love your body instead of hate it. Not easy. I am also of the opinion that to become truly healthy you have to start there. Looking forward to hearing more from you in the future. Also, I am not here to lose weight either, at the moment I'm maintaining and next year I will probably deliberately gain some weight. I'm not thin, I just like to lift weights and be as strong as I can be.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Its not about being comfortable being fat...Its more about trying to stay alive and not die from diabetes or heart disease. You can feel good about yourself but saying your comfortable being obese and fine with it is frankly a fall back on being lazy.

Trolling or not this site is about motivation and losing or maintaining your fitness goals. Dropping by with "I'm fat and proud" is not something any of us care about. Find a site about being fat, exchange some recipes and sit back and wait to die prematurely. That is the site you're looking for.

I like how you assume this lady is a troll and lazy without really paying attention to a word she wrote. For you to assume that you know her better is frankly the height of hubris, and is downright stupid, not to mention insulting. So pat yourself on the back for this post and remember to log how many calories you burned preaching and trying to make yourself look good (which you failed at miserably).

To the OP, welcome to the site and good luck to you!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    I would like to see some peer reviewed studies that show overweight people are more unhealthy.

Oh no don't stop I am having a good time just hitting refresh and seeing the next great comment LOL

Look people, I wholeheartedly believe in health at every size -- some of you I will genuinely converse with, others... well, I am having some funsies with you.

Really.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    The OP likes attention...lots of it....And she got it.!:...... yawn:
  • sarahz1442
    sarahz1442 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

what? how is that possible? There are people who are too fat to get out of bed. You think someone can be healthy at 1,000 pounds?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The OP likes attention...lots of it....And she got it.!:...... yawn:

Honestly, I got a little confused recently about who the OP of this thread even was.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

what? how is that possible? There are people who are too fat to get out of bed. You think someone can be healthy at 1,000 pounds?

Exactly. Don't tell me otherwise!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Health at every size is a movement that focuses on being your healthiest. It doesn't mean you don't try to lose weight, it means you don't just focus on weight as the end all, be all are standard -- because there are people under/over weight that are health in all other aspects except weight. It's about self acceptance helping you make positive changes.
  • brower47
    Options

Really.

So, 5'4" 500 lbs... can be healthy?

So, 5'4" 65 lbs... can be healthy?
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I think its not just the OP that likes attention.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I have seen several threads along the lines of "Still feel fat" or "When will I feel thin?" of people who have reached their physical goals and now have to face the mental part of the transformation and work on a self esteem issue. I think it's great that the OP feels a satisfaction with herself and is not driven solely by appearance. She said she wants to get healthy and adopt some healthier practices. She has the self esteem part down and is starting to work on getting healthier. That's wonderful.

As someone who has battled self esteem issues for many years I love when other people are happy with themselves.