Angelina Jolie- double mastectomy

Options

Replies

• Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I applaud her for raising awareness about a preemptive mastectomy. She could have kept this surgery private and not said anything about it. She's still a human being even if she is wealthy and given her status as a sex symbol, so I'm sure doing radical surgery on her breasts wasn't an easy decision for her by any means.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    anything for headlines in her failing career:)

This inspired me to learn how to ignore a user....
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm jaded. I think its admirable to have the preventative surgery. I had a neighbor who had the surgery based on her mother and sister having cancer, and her breasts looked beautiful after surgery. It makes me sad that women have this surgery all the time, but no one else is touted as a hero.

Her mother had ovarian cancer why did she not have a hysterectomy or did she and just not say anything. Celebrities go under the knife every day, and she's had a few plastic surgeries in the past how come this was the only one leaked to the press?

I still dont think she's the most gorgeous woman alive. I still think Aniston is much prettier, but something tells me Brad left cause Jolie was a hell kitten in the sack.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

bwahaha! This, on the heels of your post telling someone eating 700 calories a day is great! She looks good!

You're ridiculous.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone so negative over what a woman chose to do with her body?

Her mother died of cancer- she had to go through that with her mother, be by her side, see the pain of chemo and decided that since she carried a gene for breast cancer made the decision to have a masectomy.

Good for her!

Cancer doesn't affect the scum of the earth- it affects everyone. The beautiful, the rich, the poor. It's not picky.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Meh.
    There are thousands of women that do this ever year...

Yes, but anything that can continue to highlight breast cancer is a very good thing. Let's face it - she's one of the most visible women on the planet. Anything that raises awareness raises money, and anything that raises money increases our chances of finding a cure sooner than later.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Looks like someone hasn't been getting enough attention lately and her kids are still too young to be drug addicts so...mastectomy?

WTF? totally uncalled for.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    She is not the First to make this choice; she didn't have a lot up top anyway. I guess this is a Pre-disposition move, I PRAY that people do NOT believe that a genetic trait will influence them over their OWN Decision Making...and I Pray, Pray, Pray that Insurance Companies do NOT start DNA(genetic) marking and demanding/requiring that genetic markers be followed over our OWN ability to control certain factors.

You think THIS is a GOOD idea...what if Brad made a decision to CUT off His Testicles based on the Fact that he has a 87% chance of getting Testicular Cancer. Would YOU get YOUR Balls cut...OFF?!
    ^^^this just made me laugh.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    WHATEVER!
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Looks like someone hasn't been getting enough attention lately and her kids are still too young to be drug addicts so...mastectomy?
    i pity you your existence.

Just gonna quote this.. :drinker:
  • KrisDJ67
    KrisDJ67 Posts: 2
    Options
    Why do the mastectomy now instead of waiting for cancer cells to appear first? If she don't get the cancer, it's kind of a waste of time and money, no? But she can afford to waste the time and money, I guess so why not.

My mother had breast cancer twice. Her right breast was treated with chemo. Then 9 years later on her left breast. She just had a mastectomy on her left breast last February. I also had a maternal first cousin that had breast cancer so my risk is high.

I am 45 now and so far has no symptoms. I am not sure what I'll do if I get the cancer. I'll probably just have both breast removed since they are sagging anyway, they get in the way of my work-out, I hate wearing bras, and I have no plans on having more kids.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    She's an actress. Her medical procedures are just like everyone else's, none of our business. She told the world about it so that she would enjoy positive press instead of prying media scrutiny. It doesn't make her a saint.

I just do not get the desire to admire someone solely on the basis of knowing their name and recognizing their face.

Remember the husband stealing? Anyone?
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Failing career? What planet are you living on? And I find your comment in incredibly bad taste.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    She is not the First to make this choice; she didn't have a lot up top anyway. I guess this is a Pre-disposition move, I PRAY that people do NOT believe that a genetic trait will influence them over their OWN Decision Making...and I Pray, Pray, Pray that Insurance Companies do NOT start DNA(genetic) marking and demanding/requiring that genetic markers be followed over our OWN ability to control certain factors.

You think THIS is a GOOD idea...what if Brad made a decision to CUT off His Testicles based on the Fact that he has a 87% chance of getting Testicular Cancer. Would YOU get YOUR Balls cut...OFF?!

a huge difference between testicles and breast gland and tissue. Hormonally as well. Not even comparable. But yes, some people make that choice as well.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I kinda agree... but at the same time, she has the means to do it and get reconstruction right away. Since it is an elective surgery not covered by insurance, most women won't be able to follow suit.

I would do it in a heart beat, and end up with better boobs.. hell yeah.. but I couldn't afford it or the time off of work to recover or the childcare/household help I would need.

Exactly, if they could afford it a lot of people would do a lot of preventive procedures but they couldn't. In her case I think she did coz she could afford and she did come out with it because being a celebrity its better that way instead of the press finding it later. Nothing to applaud here, IMO.

Being able to afford it is irrelevant.

In the US, most insurance companies would cover this if it was discovered that you had the gene.

In the UK, it would be covered on the NHS.

My cousin had breast cancer, and underwent a similar treatment, to prevent it reccurring.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    thousands of women have to have it done every day. where's their applause and admiration?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    She's an actress. Her medical procedures are just like everyone else's, none of our business. She told the world about it so that she would enjoy positive press instead of prying media scrutiny. It doesn't make her a saint.

I just do not get the desire to admire someone solely on the basis of knowing their name and recognizing their face.

Remember the husband stealing? Anyone?

Husband stealing? Did she gag him, bind his wrists, and drag him away?
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options

This inspired me to learn how to ignore a user....
    How do you do that?
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    As a woman who is scheduled for a double mastectomy next week, I applaud Angelina for going public with her difficult decision. While my surgery is not prophylactic but the cure for my cancer, at age 39, I would choose life over boobs anytime! Go Angelina!!!!

Go NaeNae... Good luck next week. :wink:

Yes Go NaeNae. It's going to be ok.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    thousands of women have to have it done every day. where's their applause and admiration?

That was kind of my point...

But if her getting this done, gets the message out, then that is great..