Results with 1200 Calories

Options

Replies

• LadyofLight08
    LadyofLight08 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    MFP set 1200 calorie goal for me.. I probably eat way less honestly. I only eat Sea food now.
  • ygglove
    ygglove Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your response, it really put things in to perspective.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Can I show you my success with over 1900 calories?
  • bevtyndall
    bevtyndall Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maskins
    maskins Posts: 5
    Options
    wow you did not eat much today 5/15/13 maybe you are not done posting? Marie
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

Gtfo. That's so irrelevant.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    1200 is sort of hilarious as a magic number. It's like people think it doesn't matter if they're 5' even or 6'2, 1.2K will magically expand or contract for you.

If you are tiny 1200 may be just what the doctor ordered. If you are tall it probably isn't. You might as well ask for 'looking for success stories of women who are five-foot three!'

We are all the same, and yet also special snowflakes, when it comes to that magic 1.2k number.

Also if you are not on of those same special snowflakes your a mean nasty hater trying to shove food down people's throats.
  • Csoldano
    Csoldano Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    SerenaFisher put it better but...

While not a lady, I will say 1200 cals worked for a bit then a massive slow down and a few plateaus, my problem was I was having trouble actually eating more. I tended to break through plateaus when I ate closer to 1600-1800 calories albeit "dirty" calories oddly the closer i'm getting to my goal I'm finding I'm much hungrier where 1200 calories clean or dirty aren't nearly enough.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options

Gtfo. That's so irrelevant.
    Is it relevant that you can't have "lots of lean muscle" eating under your BMR?
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I started mid January on MFP. I have lost 28 lbs since then (I had lost more before tracking on a different site). I have not lost any lean body mass and have been making strength gains in the gym. I recently got a BodyMediaFit and have been focusing more on maintaining constant deficit than constant calories which means I'm not necessarily always at 1200 though my calories are generally in that neighborhood.

As far as success, I went from being just under obese to being in the "acceptable" range according to BMI. My bodyfat has decreased and lean body mass has been maintained. I'm not at my goal yet but I'm getting there. :) I also noticed that my hair and nails have been growing faster and nicer (I think because I'm more careful with my macros now than I used to be).

I have incorporated a high protein diet with my usual strength training so far, so good. As I get closer to my goal I will decrease my deficit each week until I hit my maintenance calories.

Edit to add: As far as longer term successes, I gained my weight in spurts with each ankle surgery (2) and with a pregnancy. It kind of just piled on over the course of several years. I gained a chunk with my first surgery (never learned portion control and the sudden switch from very active to sedentary was a difference of about 1200+ calories. Boom, gain of about a pound of fat every 3 days.) Got slightly more active again and maintained the weight I gained. Then pregnancy, same issue (rough last 3 months of my pregnancy because I was waiting for an ankle surgery that couldn't be done until I gave birth). Overall, I was about 90 pounds higher than my current goal. I decided to drop the fat (after birth and second ankle surgery). I did weight watchers and followed the "core" program. I lost 50 lbs in 6 months eating 1200 calories (and breastfeeding/pretty active). At my initial goal, I took a diet break that ended up lasting about 5+ years. Most of that time, I maintained the weight. The last year (and what pushed me into actually getting to goal) I moved halfway across the country and ended up eating fast food a lot, changing careers, etc... and gained back 10-15 lbs. That landed me here (eventually, after some weight loss on my own and a bunch of trial and error with different calorie levels over the course of about half of last year.)

I have never yo-yo'd and don't plan on it. Maintaining an acceptable threshold is important to me and now that I have learned portion control, I have fixed the issue that initially caused weight gain.

Also, my TDEE has increased (with a related increase in base level activity) since I started losing weight. I know because my weight is pretty solidly linear (trend wise) and I can pretty easily calculate TDEE using my records of everything.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I would feel ill on 1200 calories, and totally unable to sustain my workouts.
    But then, I am 5'10 tall.
    I lost weight eating 1800-2000 calories a day, and doing daily bike riding.
    And even on that, the end result was pretty unattractive. Skinny, bony, no muscle, no shape.
    Now on 2000-2500 and am developing some nice muscle and have the energy to fuel my strength and cardio workouts, and get in plenty of nutrients.

I strongly suggest anyone considering 1200, at least check out the topic on this site called 'in place of a road map'.
  • mreardon614
    mreardon614 Posts: 25
    Options
    Let me tell you my story...

I started dieting after my son was born in 2003, I figured diet was simply "stop eating so much" and 1000 calories sounded like a good reasonable number to go by. I lost all of my baby weight, became weight fixated, and lost more weight. I went from the 1000 calories to anorexia (this doesn't happen to everyone, but let's face it eating 1200 calories is border line anorexia. :D After all 1000 calories is only 200 less!) I was super skinny, I had never been so skinny, 5'8" 115lbs. Eventually I ate normal again, because you know life is a good feeling, being alive and all that jazz.

2006 I decided at 5'8" 150lbs I needed to get my eating habits under control. I set my goal at 1200, and lost to 129lbs in a few months. I was constantly crabby, I had no energy, I was so ravenous that if I didn't get to eat my scheduled meal I would start biting heads off. I was a real peach to be around. However, I was super skinny!!! YAY! Guess what? Eventually I got sick of starving and ate normal again, and balooned to 150lbs in about a month.

2008 I started working out, still not eating enough but better 1400 calories with a good work out. I lost the weight pretty fast still, but always felt hungry! (I wonder why? I was burning all of my calories with daily calorie useage, and then I was working out and burning even more.) I eventually made my goal weight, and body fat, and I was very fit! However again, STARVING, again I ATE NORMAL again I GOT BACK TO 150lbs without blinking an eye.

This time? I am eating normal, feeding my metabolism, making smarter choices, working out like a champion. I would reach my "goal weight" in a few months with 1200 calories, have the worst attitude ever, and be starving 24/7. This time? I am eating 1700 to 2200 calories, the weight is coming off slow, my muscles are beautiful. I am not a complete *kitten* to be around, and am enjoying my work outs. I can eat whatever I want and not have my butt go up three sizes.

MY SUGGESTION? FEED YOUR BODY. WORK HARD. Or you can ruin your metabolism, and eat 1200 calories the rest of your life, or do it the other way. Oh yes, and lift heavy things up and down, you will not get bulky and your body will thank you for it.

I don't think you can blame eating a diet of 1000 or 1200 calories on your gain. You say that you "ate normal". What does that mean? I think normal is different for everyone. If you aren't maintaining a calorie intake equal to what you are burning then you will either gain or lose. No matter the deficit you had when you were losing. I would think that would be self explanatory.
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Well for 3 months plus I eat 1200 and eat back my exercise calories to on a regular basis i was working out more like 3 times a week,lost my internet couldnt log food wasnt able to track food well eat 1500 or so didnt gain didnt lose eaither ,well here Im a month in again and lost another 3 lbs starting wieght 150.5 now Jan 1st 2013, 126 today and i try to keep to 1200 if I go over its like 200 at the most,so for me its working, keep in mind im a whole 4ft 10in and a SAHM so not extremely active ,excpet trying to keep up with my 14 month old and going on 3yrd old daughters,everyday activities,cleaning,walks some aerobics on ocassion,

1200 isnt for everyone and as you lose you need to adjust your calorie intake but to start off it could kick start the wieght loss.

i needed to lose 40lbs when I started now i only need to lose 16 lbs to my goal wieght.Getting closer:)

Im fine with 1200 to 1300 but no more,1500 to 1600 is what I eat when I kept my 150.5 wieght for 2 years plus all from my children.So guess 1200 to 1300 is much better in my case.
    Smaller person sedentary to lightly active 1200 /1300 can be fine.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 but upped it to 1350. I eat half of my exercise calories..most of the time. I have lost 19 pounds since March of this year. I am only two pounds away from a "normal" BMI for my height. :)
  • Donna51313
    Donna51313 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello!!! I'm a newby lol, but I started this 12-1300 calorie diet and I'm 5ft 3in. I've lost a lb a week to every 2weeks....I feel great it does work. I also walk 30 mins. to 40 mins 3-4 days a week and eat 1500 on those days so I'm not hungry. I was 145 after my son was born I started diet in Jan. or Feb no junk and 1200-1500 depending on excersize for that day, I'm down to 134.8. I want to take it off gradually so I'm not starving myself. It does work and you don't have to make yourself sick! You do have to have a lot of will power though! I eat a salad w spinach n chicken, oil & vinegar @ least 3 days a week and it fills me up. I would not go under 1200 cals though for myself. Good Luck to you and keep me posted if you try it.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    1200 plus exercice. Those of us who are "blessed" with this low number need to eat back the exercise calories to really get the benefits. Not eating back the exercise calories doesn't make you any more successful in the long run, it just makes it hard to stick with it. I actually go back and forth between 1200 and 1440 (1.5 pounds a week and 1 pound per week) depending on my progress and plateaus.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    And even on that, the end result was pretty unattractive. Skinny, bony, no muscle, no shape.
    Now on 2000-2500 and am developing some nice muscle and have the energy to fuel my strength and cardio workouts, and get in plenty of nutrients.

I strongly suggest anyone considering 1200, at least check out the topic on this site called 'in place of a road map'.

Um, many people came here eating 2000-2500, so it probably wouldn't help them lose pounds, even tho' it works for you. We are all different-- not snowflakes, just different: sizes, ages, starting weights, activity levels, etc.
  • A1CNobody
    A1CNobody Posts: 13
    Options
    I started at 1340 and didn't lose almost any weight. I had better results at 1550-1650.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Um, many people came here eating 2000-2500, so it probably wouldn't help them lose pounds, even tho' it works for you. We are all different-- not snowflakes, just different: sizes, ages, starting weights, activity levels, etc.

Totally agree. At least she admitted to being 5'10". If I were that tall I would be more than happy to up my intake to 1600+! But yep, I got to the point I am at by eating about 2000-2500 per day, sometimes more, sometimes less.
  • lockedinclosetjettgirl
    Options
    I honestly am just trying to stay fit and at the same weight I have been since around high school. I think I gained maybe 3lbs after, I was below average for my BMI. I am only 5'4" and now weigh about 115. I work out maybe 4-5 times a week (usually walking for 30 min at a brisk pace w/ incline on tredmill) and I eat around 1400-1500 cals a day. Like I said, I'm just maintaining my weight, not losing it and this is just what I personally do. It all depends on your body type.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!