HELP! Should I date three more??

Options

Replies

• Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Everything you're saying says two things to me - 1) you're emotional age is about 16, not 26 and 2) you're not ready to commit to anything except a new pair of shoes.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Haha I hope to god this is a joke. Scrolling through for gifs :drinker:

In for gifs
    150.gif
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have daddy issues or some childhood trauma that's caused you not to trust people, but whatever the reason, here's some honest advice.

If you leave a relationship every time you have doubts, are unsure of something, or think you might be missing out on something better - you will never find the right person. Everyone has doubts, everyone goes through times of not trusting their SO. Trust is earned over time, and if you're that distrusting that you let something someone else said to you (Chris telling you not to trust Simon) get to you, make you paranoid, and convinced yourself it should end the relationship... I think it's more about your own issues, issues with commitment and trust issues.

These things take time to get over - not hopping from one relationship to another. Sorry if that's mean, but that's what I think.

I already know I DO have trust and commitment issues. I shouldn't let those hold me back, but I also don't want to be stupid, you know?

How do you get over those kinds of issues?

Just a shot in the dark here but ummmmmm therapy?

Hard for a therapist to cure trust issues if you don't trust people (therapists included).

This is really true. Ever seen Good Will Hunting? Yeaaaah. :laugh:
  • Laultimacocacola
    Options
    feedthetroll.jpg

^THIS
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    "That's not your clock ticking, that's just your stomach growling" made me laugh!! Haha, thank you for this, and for your positive contribution to my situation!:flowerforyou:

Maybe I should move with Chris and still live separately. Anyone want to weigh in on that idea?
    That depends on a few things.
    Is the relationship at a point where you feel that this might be 'the one', and moving will allow you to be near him?
    If you don't move, will you be able to trust him?
    Is it worth moving because of a relationship and leaving your current family/friends/work/social life/city?
    Can you afford to move to another city and stay independant (i.e. you won't have to move in with him because of finances).

I'm still saying he has red flags (and while I know you may be potentially brushing off all our comments, please take a further look into controlling and/or abusive relationships, if anything so that you're armed with more knowledge for the future), and it's a serious commitment to YOURSELF to pick up and move to a different city, let alone the relationship.
    If you're serious about this, then there's another pro/con list you're going to have to make up for moving, but if you're determined to stay with him, then at least living on your own is a good thing. While I didn't move for a relationship (but for a job), it's hard not being far away from friends/family/familiar territory.
  • efalcon1
    efalcon1 Posts: 52
    Options
    Firstly your relationship with Chris is not healthy. If you move with him you will be isolated from friends and family and that is exactly what he will want. He has no reason to distrust you, yet seems that he wants to control your life. This is not good.

Love should be easy not difficult. Your ex is in the past and you can still have a fresh start and stay in the same place. Be strong and be on your own and your soul mate will find you. Don't settle for anything less x

THIS, right here. C'mon girl, I've been there/done that/got the f*ckin merit badge.

Yea the "I'm just checking on you" phone calls/text msgs are cute at first. After a few years of that *kitten* you WILL get sick of it. This is an abusive relationship in the making. Anyone who is trying to keep track of you during the day and who you are talking to, well that just SCREAMS control freak.

Good luck!

This is spot on I'm afraid, it is all part of power and control in an abusive relationship. These are the early stages, not saying he will beat you but he will control you and get you to a point where you are uncomfortable around men "in case" they flirt with you :noway:
  • justdazed
    justdazed Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Past experience has taught me if your immediate family doesn't like him MOVE ON. They can obviously see something you can't/are blinded to.
  • GhostinthePC
    GhostinthePC Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    so technically you're not with anyone right now?

Why not go have some fun, hook up with 3 randoms, meet your quota and go from there. You might accidentally find what you're looking for while you're having fun.

This is just rude.

I am with Christ.

Then date him the next three times he's resurrected. BOOM! You're in like Flynn.

^^^This...this right here made me laugh very hard...Well done
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options
    "That's not your clock ticking, that's just your stomach growling" made me laugh!! Haha, thank you for this, and for your positive contribution to my situation!:flowerforyou:

Maybe I should move with Chris and still live separately. Anyone want to weigh in on that idea?
    Is the relationship at a point where you feel that this might be 'the one', and moving will allow you to be near him?
    Is it worth moving because of a relationship and leaving your current family/friends/work/social life/city?
    Can you afford to move to another city and stay independant (i.e. you won't have to move in with him because of finances).

I'm still saying he has red flags (and while I know you may be potentially brushing off all our comments, please take a further look into controlling and/or abusive relationships, if anything so that you're armed with more knowledge for the future), and it's a serious commitment to YOURSELF to pick up and move to a different city, let alone the relationship.
    If you're serious about this, then there's another pro/con list you're going to have to make up for moving, but if you're determined to stay with him, then at least living on your own is a good thing. While I didn't move for a relationship (but for a job), it's hard not being far away from friends/family/familiar territory.

At this point I am not really worried about trusting Chris, I think we're good in that department. Yes, the controlling stuff I am thinking about, not just brushing off, but honestly, he doesn't do it in a creepy way, but more in an interested way.

Doesn't someone who cares about another person naturally want to know the things they're doing and what is happening in their lives?
  • csfillmore
    csfillmore Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    12??? 12??? I thought the magic number was 42!!!!!!!!!

Well 42 is the answer to the universe.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You sound a bit immature to get married. If you're basing your decision of whether to get married on some "studies" do your BF a favour and break up with him and do some dating.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Warning Signs of Abusive Relationships

EXTREME JEALOUSY
    Jealousy is a sign of insecurity and lack of trust, but the abuser will say that it is a sign of love. The abuser will question the victim about who they talk to, accuse them of flirting, or be jealous of time spent with their friends, family, or children. The abuser may refuse to let the victim work or go to school for fear of meeting someone else. The abuser may call the victim frequently or drop by unexpectedly. The abuser may accuse the victim of flirting with someone else or having an affair.

Check - But it's so adorable - it means he CARES for me!

CONTROLLING BEHAVIOR
    One partner completely rules the relationship and makes the decisions. This includes “checking up” on the victim, timing a victim when they leave the house, checking the odometer on the car, questioning the victim about where they go. They may also check the victim’s cell phone for call history, their email or website history. The abuser may control the finances and tries to tell the victim how to dress, who to talk to, and where to go.

Check - but it means he cares and loves me!

QUICK INVOLVEMENT
    The abuser comes on strong at the beginning of the relationship, pressuring for a commitment and claims “Love at first sight” or “You’re the only person I could ever talk to”, or “I never met anyone like you before”. Often, in the beginning of a relationship, the abuser is very charming and romantic and the love is intense.

Check - move away with me and let's get married. Who cares if it's only been 2 months?

UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS
    Abusers expect their partners to meet all their needs and be “perfect”. They may say things like “If you love me, then I’m all you need”.

Not enough info from OP, but I suspect you can check this one off the list also.

ISOLATION
    The abuser tries to keep the victim from friends and family by putting down everyone the victim knows, including their family and friends. They may keep the victim from going to work or school.

Check - move away with me, away from your family, friends, job, etc

BLAMES OTHERS FOR THEIR PROBLEMS AND FEELINGS
    The abuser does not take responsibility for their problems, blaming others (usually the victim) for almost everything (“you made me mad”).

HYPERSENSITIVITY
    An abuser is easily insulted and takes everything as a personal attack and blows things out of proportion.

CRUELTY TO ANIMALS OR CHILDREN
    The abuser may punish animals brutally or be insensitive to their pain. They may have unfair expectations of children or tease them until they cry.

“PLAYFUL” USE OF FORCE IN SEX
    The abuser may throw or hold their partner down during sex, may pressure their partner into having sex, may demand sex when their partner is tired or ill or doesn’t want to have sex. They may ask the victim to do things they do not want to do.

VERBAL ABUSE
    The abuser says cruel and harmful things to their victim, degrades them, curses at them, calls them names, or puts down their accomplishments. The abuser tells their victims they are stupid, and unable to function without them. They embarrass and put down the victim in front of others as well.

RIGID SEX ROLES
    The abuser believes in rigid gender roles and sees women as inferior to men and unable to have their own identity. They may see men as the “master of his castle”.

DR. JECKYL AND MR. HYDE
    The abuser experiences severe mood swings and the victim may think the abuser has a mental health problem. One minute they can be charming and sweet and the next minute they become angry and explosive. Explosiveness and moodiness are typical of people who beat their partners.

PAST BATTERING
    The abuser has a history of past battering of partners and although they may admit to that, they say their previous partner provoked them to do it. A batterer will beat any partner they are with if the person is with them long enough for the violence to begin; situational circumstances do not cause a person to have an abusive relationship.

THREATS OF VIOLENCE
    This includes any threat or physical force meant to control the victim: “I’ll kill you”, “I’ll break your neck”, “If you ever leave, I’ll kill you.”

BREAKING OR STRIKING OBJECTS
    This behavior is used as a punishment (breaking treasured possessions), but is mostly used to terrorize the victim into submission. The abuser may break or strike objects near the victim to frighten them.

ANY FORCE DURING AN ARGUMENT
    The abuser may hold the victim down, restrain them from leaving the room, may push, shove, or hold them against a wall.

HEY, only 5 out of 15 indicator of an abusive relationship. Yep, he's a real keeper.

^ Don't listen to this. It sounds to me like someone is jealous of the special relationship you have found.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

Well 42 is the answer to the universe.

Actually, it is the answer to Life, The Universe, and Everything. :laugh:
  • jbirdjr70
    jbirdjr70 Posts: 19
    Options
    Chris is going to be a controlling nut.....I sense that jealousy will stop being cute soon. Don't believe everything you read about finding 12 dates.....also it sounds like you are willing to just settle with Chris. If you're still looking for your soulmate then you have to realize that it isn't Chris. When will you know when you've found your soulmate? Your heart will tell you! I wish you the best of luck and don't let science overrule common sense and good judgement!
  • csfillmore
    csfillmore Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Well, technically 42 is the answer to the meaning of life :wink:

glad I wasn't the only one that got the reference
  • RCMPWannaBe
    RCMPWannaBe Posts: 84 Member
    Options

At this point I am not really worried about trusting Chris, I think we're good in that department. Yes, the controlling stuff I am thinking about, not just brushing off, but honestly, he doesn't do it in a creepy way, but more in an interested way.

Doesn't someone who cares about another person naturally want to know the things they're doing and what is happening in their lives?

This is how it starts. It's cute. But the second they think they've got you, and they don't like what they hear or see, you will be verbally destroyed. And maybe only verbally if you're lucky.
  • moni_tb_192
    moni_tb_192 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I broke up with my boyfriend Simon a few months ago because one of his friends (Chris) told me Simon might be cheating. I couldn't prove it, but of course I broke up with Simon because it isn't worth it to me to stay in a relationship where I can't trust someone. :ohwell:

After a few weeks, Chris and I randomly started dating, so now me and him are together and have been for two months. It's great because I know I can trust him. My ex never checked up on me, but Chris is interested in who I was talking to on the phone or who is PMing me here or he just calls me to see where I am and what I'm doing at different points during the day. :love: Sometimes he gets jealous of other guys flirting with me. He really cares and it's adorable. :love:

The problem is that even though we have been together two whole months, he has to move for his job and wants me to go with him. He wants to get married. I'm 26 and my biological clock is ticking, so I'm not totally against it. Add to that the fact that my ex is calling me lately saying he wants to work things out so obviously I really need to get out of the San Diego area. :angry:

Did you try to work things out with Simon, or did you just break him up because of what someone else (who then found an interest in dating you) said?

Right now you might find his "checking up on you" thing adorable, but for me it'd be a HUGE ALERT for an abusive relationship. Next thing he'll want your passwords, he won't like you spending time with other friends and relatives, and you'll end up isolated from everybody else.

Please, DO NOT get yourself into a relationship like that! You're going to have the toughest time getting out of it, if you ever come to realize you're in an abusive relationship. That's how this guy's manipulation works. You know, Simon probably did care a lot about you, and just because he didn't want to know where you were every minute of the day, or who did you talk to, doesn't mean he was careless. He probably trusted you more than you trusted him.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options

There is a difference between being interested in what's going on in your life and asking who you are talking to, PMing, etc. If you say "just a friend" does he push for more information or let it drop?
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Let me get this straight.

You say you have trust issues, but you're trusting the one person (Chris) who told you your boyfriend (Simon) was cheating though you couldn't prove it and Chris has the most to gain from that situation, seeing as how you're now dating him. And you now want to move in with him.

Your family and friends don't like him and like Simon better, and you discount their advice. These people who love you and have known you WAY WAY longer than Chris or Simon.

Your biological clock is ticking at the ripe age of 26. 2-6.

Your interpretation of love and protection is someone who constantly checks up on you to verify that you aren't doing something shady. Because Simon, who didn't feel the need to check up on you and who didn't pester you about this stuff was obviously the shady one.

You are still considering dating 3 other people based on a magazine article. You may not have come up with the number yourself, but you have wholly committed to the idea that this is the ideal and only way to really "know" if you're with the right person.

That about right? Yeah?

Just a question: What are you afraid of, exactly? You seem to be leaping from person to person and taking advice from someone (Chris) who only seemed to validate your fears of being cheated on (based on your trust issues) and even though you are considering living with him, are asking a bunch of strangers who don't know you, if you should date 3 other people?

And by the way, two months is a drop in the bucket. ANYONE can behave (even though Chris doesn't even seem to be doing that) well for 60 freaking days. Can't you?

How does any of this add up to a scientifically sound, logical argument? You say you're scientific, but out of all the posts I've seen you respond to, it seems you're really looking for validation, not evidence counter to what you've decided is "right".

I think you have a lot of deep issues that are going to require some serious self-evaluation and therapy.

EDIT: And btw, you know, most people make assumptions about other people based on how THEY themselves would behave or act. For example, if I interpret someone else's behavior as possibly shady, it's because if *I* were in that situation, *I* would have shady intentions. Do you think perhaps maybe Chris might be doing the same? Or does he just have the same trust issues that you have, and you both are just feeding into one another?
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    OK, mfpeeps. I have issues. I broke up with my boyfriend Simon a few months ago because one of his friends (Chris) told me Simon might be cheating. I couldn't prove it, but of course I broke up with Simon because it isn't worth it to me to stay in a relationship where I can't trust someone. :ohwell:

After a few weeks, Chris and I randomly started dating, so now me and him are together and have been for two months. It's great because I know I can trust him. My ex never checked up on me, but Chris is interested in who I was talking to on the phone or who is PMing me here or he just calls me to see where I am and what I'm doing at different points during the day. :love: Sometimes he gets jealous of other guys flirting with me. He really cares and it's adorable. :love:

The problem is that even though we have been together two whole months, he has to move for his job and wants me to go with him. He wants to get married. I'm 26 and my biological clock is ticking, so I'm not totally against it. Add to that the fact that my ex is calling me lately saying he wants to work things out so obviously I really need to get out of the San Diego area. :angry:

But I'm a really scientific person. That's why I tend to do badly in relationships. Anyway, studies show that you should date 12 people before you choose one to settle down with, and I've only dated 9. :noway: (I found that in Wired magazine, they are just great). I can't ask my family and friends because they are biased and really liked my ex and don't like Chris, but I need input. What do I do? Do I risk not dating three more people? What if I miss my soul mate? And what if Chris is the best man I'll ever know and I let him go? :sad: :sad:

I know the forums get snarky sometimes and I do have a sense of humor and inteligence, but I'm actually looking for real advice here, not rudeness. After all, we're all here for the same reasons. :flowerforyou:

Please dont breed.........................:bigsmile: