How is doing c25k? Lets support each other

Options

Replies

• crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I just ran 5K!!!!! Wasn't officially measured or timed, but i did my circuit which is just a little more than a mile, 3 times in 37:21!!!!
    Great job!!! :drinker:
  • Soxgirl97
    Soxgirl97 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the Biggest Loser Power Walk DVD for the last 3 months to start building my endurance. Previous to that it had been years since I did any kind of exercise. Today I was feeling really motivated and positive so I did the first day of C25K. I fully anticipated having to quit halfway through. I didn't! I did the whole thing and felt really great when I was done.

I use a HRM to track calories. One question- how high is too high for your heart rate to get? I know others have said to watch your heart rate and not push too hard but I'm not sure what that would be.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the Biggest Loser Power Walk DVD for the last 3 months to start building my endurance. Previous to that it had been years since I did any kind of exercise. Today I was feeling really motivated and positive so I did the first day of C25K. I fully anticipated having to quit halfway through. I didn't! I did the whole thing and felt really great when I was done.
    I like that DVD. I have a lot by Leslie Sansone, but I got the Biggest Loser walk to change things up.
  • mycrobemini
    mycrobemini Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I was away from C25K for a couple weeks, and afraid of the consequences. Well I did W4D3, and made it through, with only an added 30seconds of break time before the 2nd 5 minute round. Turns out I accidentally bumped up my speed (I use a treadmill) by 0.2mph also. I'm going to repeat W4D3 at the higher speed and see if I can make it through without the added time before I move on to week 5.
  • sunshinestater
    Options
    I did week 3, day 2 this morning and felt so good that I continued for an hour (mostly walking, with a few more little jogs thrown in). I made it out before the heat and stuck to a shaded boardwalk so it wasn't bad at all. Saw a gorgeous hawk and two deer:

40567776_6066.jpg

I'm finding that the scenery is an added bonus to getting out in the morning. I've seen lots of other critters, like otters and gators, too.

I'm surprised that C25K isn't kicking my butt too badly yet. Not that it's easy by any means, but I feel like running has shifting from being an enemy to a frenemy. I never would have imagined voluntarily running a little more at the end of a session, just because I can.
  • Akdn
    Akdn Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Been a while since I've posted in this thread but I'm pleased to say I've completed the c25k free program. I had a bit of a break after I completed it but I've started running again. I'm working on my pace right now cause I was pretty slow lol. I ran 4.44k this morning in 36:15 minutes. The last time I did 5k it took me 49 minutes. So my goal of 5k in under 30 is well within reach now :smile:

Keep on running =)
  • bettepower
    bettepower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Been a while since I've posted in this thread but I'm pleased to say I've completed the c25k free program. I had a bit of a break after I completed it but I've started running again. I'm working on my pace right now cause I was pretty slow lol. I ran 4.44k this morning in 36:15 minutes. The last time I did 5k it took me 49 minutes. So my goal of 5k in under 30 is well within reach now :smile:

Keep on running =)

Inspirational, thank you! And way to go.
    I am on w4d3 and ready for more. It is hard to believe I might be a runner. Who knew?
  • rairai979
    rairai979 Posts: 52
    Options

Keep on running =)

Great job! I completed W4/D2 yesterday, and went 2.8 miles during the 31 minute workout. It was very humid out, which didn't help, but I never gave up!

I'm doing a 3.5 mile walk/run this Sunday. I know I'm not ready to jog the whole thing, so I'm planning on doing 5 minute jogs and 3 minute walks.
  • sunshinestater
    Options
    I had a 3 day break from the program due to work and picked it up again today. I didn't make it through the whole last jog on my last session (w4 d1) so I restarted with that. The voice cues were messed up so that goofed up my last two jogs, but the first 5 minute jog felt soooo good. I felt like I could have just kept running. Since I didn't do the last 5 minutes straight, I threw in several jogging spurts and ended up with my best time ever. So happy because I was worried the 3 day break would hurt me, but things are better than ever.
  • rairai979
    rairai979 Posts: 52
    Options
    I did a 3.5 mile race yesterday. I planned to walk 5 min / jog 5 min throughout the race, and I did it! I finished in 46 minutes. I haven't entered a race in over 20 years, it was so much fun!
  • tbeee228
    tbeee228 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Glad to see some other C25K'ers on here. Just completed Wk3Day1 today. It's the first time I've really stuck to it and I'm actually surprising myself! ;)
  • sunshinestater
    Options
    Technically today would be w4d3 for me, but I wasn't sure how the foot I stepped on nails with would do so I just went out and did a freestyle 5K. Finished it in 51 mins. which is slower than I'd like but almost at the minimum where I need to be (16) for the Disney runs this fall. My foot did fine with a pad to protect the wound. The only thing that slowed me down was a bit of fatigue from this lousy sinus infection. It felt really good to get out though.
  • padisneyfour
    padisneyfour Posts: 220
    Options
    I just finished week 3 Day 1 this morning....never done anything like this before. planning on doing a color me rad 5k in late june with our family.
  • bryionak
    bryionak Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Well after I completed C25K about 2 weeks ago we went on vacation. I thought I would run once or twice in WDW but didn't. Did a ton of walking though.

I ran Wednesday night, about 2 miles. Planning on running for 30 minutes tonight and running 5k on Sunday. Think I will do that schedule for a couple weeks Wed: 2 - 2.5 miles, Fri 2 - 2.5 miles, Sun: 3.1 miles. Then start working my way up to 4 - 5 - 6 miles.
  • nmmom2
    nmmom2 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Today was Day 1 of Week 2 and it kicked my butt! However, I am sticking with it.
  • SeaDoodle
    SeaDoodle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thought I would jump in here ... I am doing C25K - did W6 run 2 today. I realised that the hardest part - for me - is the first few mins of the SECOND run. But, I guess I don't have to worry about that any more ... as they are all continuous from now on. ACK. Wondering which program everyone is using. I am doing the NHS one - I love Laura. She is so encouraging! "3, 2, 1 and off you go!" :-)

I am decently fit but have always hated running. I used to sometimes do C25K runs for the intervals (i.e. week 4-ish) ... but decided to do a 5K with a team from work in July and thought maybe if I do the whole C25K program all the way through that maybe I will learn to like running more. It is still not my first choice (I really like step) but it is getting better!
  • sunshinestater
    Options
    I use C25K from Active.com but I did another freestyle run today with the goal of doing a better pace tha 16 on my own. I did it! It's very hot here in FL today and I inherited a tendency to sweat gallons (thanks Grandma), but I'm very pleased with today's run.
  • lucylou1480
    Options
    Hi, everyone, I'm new to this thread. Today was week 5 day 1..again. :) Im fearing day 2 and 3, and im also trying to run 5 days a week so im doing some days twice. I like the 5 min runs, but am afraid of the 8 minutes, and terrified of the straight 20. Anyone else do days repeatedly to feel more confident moving on?:wink:
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone, I'm new to this thread. Today was week 5 day 1..again. :) Im fearing day 2 and 3, and im also trying to run 5 days a week so im doing some days twice. I like the 5 min runs, but am afraid of the 8 minutes, and terrified of the straight 20. Anyone else do days repeatedly to feel more confident moving on?:wink:
    . I am also on week 5. I finished day 2 with the 2 8 minute runs. I was also doubting myself, but it went real smoothly and could not believe I did it! You can too! I do my running on M, W, and F. I do Jillian Michaels on the other days to strengthen my core so I can run more comfortably. Good luck to you!
  • auntsammy88
    auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm on W6D2 with a 5k on June 29th. I found that Week 6 day 1 was harder for me than the long run on Week 5. It must be the stopping between intervals. Keep at it pals!