• Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Beautiful kiddos you have there! 3 boys???? God Bless you!:flowerforyou:
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options

Let me rephrase this:

Can someone PLEASE convert this to a picture all can see on here.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Someone may have to convert this to a picture for me.

tumblr_mmt9daWscy1qbtxv8o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mmt9daWscy1qbtxv8o2_500.jpg

Let me rephrase this:

Can someone PLEASE convert this to a picture all can see on here.

you just needed your img tags
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Not only did she have the mastectomy, she is also having both of her ovaries removed! This was in no way to give her attention in the press. This was to spread awareness. I bet half of the idiots out there bashing her have no idea what the gene marker names are or the likelihood of getting cancer when you have them. AJ’s mom died at a young age from this horrible disease so she is trying to save her life for her children. My step sister has this same gene. She is waiting to finish having babies and then will be doing both surgeries herself. I think AJ is an amazing person for sharing something so personal and potential detrimental to her career.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    It's a shame that it takes a celebrity to get this much attention to this subject, something thousands of women have already done but their stories weren't as interesting.
    Unfortunately that's how lots of things are treated today. We have lots of children being trafficked daily and even in the news last week about the kidnappings of 3 girls and being held for 10 years. And it will go away out of the news eventually. But for some reason, if it happens to a celebrity, more eyes are opened and the story stays on longer. Why do we pay attention more when that happens? I can't answer that. But if more famous people can get others to listen to procedures that can help save lives, then I think we should try to take advantage of that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I am an advocate. I have certain legislation reforms that I work very hard to target. As a lay person, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE someone who is a celebrity to bring attention to the issue I want reformed. Seriously love it.

The fact is, attention such as this, has the potential to bring awareness to issues that people like me fight hard to have addressed. It's not a bad thing. It's a fantastic thing. Particularly if any change comes from it.

I don't know enough about THIS particular issue to debate much about it, but the idea of a famous person getting more attention for it than the average lay person is silly. As a lay person I seriously welcome ANYONE who can bring this kind of public awareness to important issues that need promoting.

-->>>Thank you maab for putting up the cartoon for me.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I know too many women that simply believed in God and stayed faithfull to his word and were healed of multiple types of cancer for me to think this is admirable in any way or even the right choice. I's choose God's healing grace anyday before I choose to go under the knife just becuz I COULD get it not even ACTUALLY having it. This is just craziness but thats expected from Ms. Jolie.

My aunt chose this path as well. She died when she was 45. I miss her everyday.

I would say I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt my truth is she is probably looking down on us feeling sorry that we can't be there with here celebrating our Lord with street made of gold. She made that right choice bcuz even if she had made the choice to have surgery there is no way to know if she would still be here. She put her lifeis God's hands and felt it was time for suffering to be over and now she gets to spend everyday with him free from paind and strife and struggle. Don't get me wrong I've known women to die from this too and yes it hurts bcuz we want our loved ones here with us but really its a selfish nature thats makes us feel that way even if it is a loving kind of selfish...the best choice a person can ever make is to have faith and trust God completely even when its hard....that was the real point I was making.

This whole train of thought you are on makes me a bit nervous. By a bit I mean a lot.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I know too many women that simply believed in God and stayed faithfull to his word and were healed of multiple types of cancer for me to think this is admirable in any way or even the right choice. I's choose God's healing grace anyday before I choose to go under the knife just becuz I COULD get it not even ACTUALLY having it. This is just craziness but thats expected from Ms. Jolie.

My aunt chose this path as well. She died when she was 45. I miss her everyday.

I would say I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt my truth is she is probably looking down on us feeling sorry that we can't be there with here celebrating our Lord with street made of gold. She made that right choice bcuz even if she had made the choice to have surgery there is no way to know if she would still be here. She put her lifeis God's hands and felt it was time for suffering to be over and now she gets to spend everyday with him free from paind and strife and struggle. Don't get me wrong I've known women to die from this too and yes it hurts bcuz we want our loved ones here with us but really its a selfish nature thats makes us feel that way even if it is a loving kind of selfish...the best choice a person can ever make is to have faith and trust God completely even when its hard....that was the real point I was making.

I'm not a person of faith. Even so, I usually find expressions of faith to be inspiring. I have no doubt that having deeply held convictions that you live by is a very good thing.

That being said, your statement here is actually disturbing.

I have a mentally ill son. Should I trust in the lord and not give him the medication that keeps him marginally functional? My son is in MY hands. It doesn't matter if that is a matter of chance or if "the Lord" put him in my hands. I'm not going to let him go and hope God catches him.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Every woman on my Dads side of the family has died of brest/ovarian cancer by the time they were 30. I have been thinking of doing this for years. Especially since I am now 31, soon to be 32. I applaud her and am glad that shes speaking about it. Hopefully she will help save lives.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Not only did she have the mastectomy, she is also having both of her ovaries removed! This was in no way to give her attention in the press. This was to spread awareness. I bet half of the idiots out there bashing her have no idea what the gene marker names are or the likelihood of getting cancer when you have them. AJ’s mom died at a young age from this horrible disease so she is trying to save her life for her children. My step sister has this same gene. She is waiting to finish having babies and then will be doing both surgeries herself. I think AJ is an amazing person for sharing something so personal and potential detrimental to her career.
    so that's either hrt (with all the risks that come with it) or menopause...
  • Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options

I had my post cancer miracle baby one year ago yesterday and had my ovaries removed at that time...boobs are next...got too much to live for to chance that crappy cancer coming back...

Also...it used to be thought that breast cancer ran on the mothers side of the family...this is NOT true...I got breast cancer and the BRCA gene from my father's side...please be pro active, my friends, it could save your life :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    anything for headlines in her failing career:)

Wow...you're a moron..congrats..
  • Momf3boys
    Options

Lots of people have shown just how much of a moron they are in this thread...it's a shame...I wonder if people use sunblock to prevent skin cancer...hmmmmm :)
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options

Lots of people have shown just how much of a moron they are in this thread...it's a shame...I wonder if people use sunblock to prevent skin cancer...hmmmmm :)

What's really a shame is resorting to the juvenality of name calling when someone expresses an opinion other than your own, regardless of who's right or wrong.
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    claiming cures for cancer that have never been proven is illegal in the uk.

i like that law. i like that law a lot. it's far too easy to prey, indeed pray, on fear.

+1
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Every woman on my Dads side of the family has died of brest/ovarian cancer by the time they were 30. I have been thinking of doing this for years. Especially since I am now 31, soon to be 32. I applaud her and am glad that shes speaking about it. Hopefully she will help save lives.

Oh wow. Please do not think about it! Take care of it while you can :(
  • Momf3boys
    Options

Lots of people have shown just how much of a moron they are in this thread...it's a shame...I wonder if people use sunblock to prevent skin cancer...

What's really a shame is resorting to the juvenality of name calling when someone expresses an opinion other than your own, regardless of who's right or wrong.

Luckily we are entitled to our freedom of speech...K-Thanks-Bye
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer at age 29 with no family history. Just a nasty surprise! But if I did test positive for BRCA, knowing what I know now, I would elect to have the double mastectomy in a heartbeat. Much better than waiting for it to hit (and the chance that it will hit with BRCA is ridiculously high) and dealing with the chemo, risk of death, etc. It would have been a gift to have the knowledge that I was high risk ahead of time, before it happened. She is very lucky!

Hugs to my fellow survivors on this thread!

Hugs to you, my pink sister :flowerforyou:

Praying that you all have good health! HUGS
  • vice350z
    vice350z Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Just wondering why the media is portraying her as such a huge hero for doing this? Cuz she's a celeb? You'd think its an obvious choice to make..although I couldn't imagine how mentally hard it would be to go through that.

My mom died of breast cancer...does that mean my sis will most likely get it? I think both sides of my family have dealth with some form of cancer.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options

Lots of people have shown just how much of a moron they are in this thread...it's a shame...I wonder if people use sunblock to prevent skin cancer...

Luckily we are entitled to our freedom of speech...K-Thanks-Bye

Good grief.