Spa owner yells at Mom of Autistic child-Facebook Firestorm

Options

Replies

• BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The beauty of social media at work. Hopefully the place is shut down by the end of the month!
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I don't care...less FB FOOLISHNESS and more Weightloss stories! No one cares about this story...it's probably a lie as many things are on FB!
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I don't care...less FB FOOLISHNESS and more Weightloss stories! No one cares about this story...it's probably a lie as many things are on FB!

This is the chit-chat section. For more weight loss related posts, see the other sections.

Not just a FB story; it's been in the news. You didn't have to come into this thread, you know?
  • slmoening
    slmoening Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Totalsham: You clearly do not have kids or if so, have never taken a toddler to get a haircut. Autism or not, many little kids throw fits when they get it done. If a spa considers themselves UPSCALE and does not want to deal with kids in this manner, then they should clearly state this rule in advance and not take appointments accordingly. Plain and simple-there are appropriate ways to handle these situations and inappropriate ways to handle them. While I was not present at the time of this particular incident, it was clearly not handled appropriately if other clientele were able to hear it and were uncomfortable with it.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    The beauty of social media at work. Hopefully the place is shut down by the end of the month!

It would be better if FB was shut down by the end of the month.
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    But clearly the My Fitness Pal message board is an acceptable outlet
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday, Lea!ETA: Whoops, sorry......wrong thread.

That's all you got???? I'm disappointed!

Then you obviously do not understand the remarkable power of the "HB, L!"

(However, that this thread still exists hours after I unleashed it is making me reconsider my understanding of it.)
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I can't get this quoting thing down right but the last box is my answer.
    But regardless of all of that, one cannot ever judge from a single incident when you see any scenario between parent and child. You don't know the background. It is amazing the level of judgement we have to deal with as parents in our society. It's crippling really. People also need to understand that kids are kids. Stuff happens. Yes, sometimes they even have tantrums over the toy they didn't want. I do agree that there are various ways to reduce the distraction, etc. but again, without knowing the background, you simply cannot know. Not every child responds the same and not every situatiojn can be avoided.
    That's all true, but do you expect a bystander to know the background for your child's tantrum? Without being overly callous, the end result and impact on my life is the same regardless of the background.

Again, for example, if you rear end my car, it doesn't matter overly much whether you did it because you were texting, or drunk, or distracted, or swerving to avoid a dog, or fell asleep because of untreatable narcolepsy. You still rear-ended me.

Now, afterward, if you want to explain the background to me, perhaps I'll be understanding and I agree that once the background is known, you should probably expect a certain degree of understanding from others in a polite society. If you tell me that, "Sorry, this is what's going on, and you're trying your best, etc." I'll probably nod and say it's not a problem.

I've also experienced the opposite spectrum, however, when I asked a woman to please restrain her child from kicking me and my bag while waiting in line, and the only response I got was was "He's autistic". As in: YOU deal with it.
    You make a good point Joocey. Regardless of the intent, there is an impact on others. That's very true!

Your examples don't match up though. Those other causes are all illegal and not part of normal development.

Part of living in a community is living with others. Sure we have societal expectations. I just think it is sad that many in this thread are so rigid in those expectations given something that is developmentally appropriate to the community members they are mingling with.

As for the person stating the cause, my perception isn't necessarily that the person is asking you to deal with it but rather the person is asking for your compassion and understanding as they try to deal with something that isn't altogether easy to begin with. Even some support would be great!

This next part isn't aimed at Joocey. I appreciated Joocey's treatment of my quotes, even if I didn't fully agree with all of it. This next part is a few additional general comments I would like to make.

I'm going to reveal here that I also have a disability. Mine isn't behavioral. My child's disability is. Mine is difficult enough. Every time people talk about the government being overly involved, I have to thank my lucky stars that they continue to be involved in the area of supporting those with disabilities. Society really doesn't. Not long ago, I would have not been able to work and been a contributing member of society. Even so, I find there is a lot more stigma with the behavioral one. Life is not perfect. Many parents do more than you know to keep things from overly impacting others. Having said that, sometimes you have to also realize that there is a lot going on and a little patience goes a long way.

But even if we take the disability out of it and just focus on a crying 2 year old, I find it sad that we definitely have a lot of ageism here (whether it is a protected class or not) to the point that we can't deal with NORMAL behavior without having tantrums of our own, internal or otherwise. Again, a little patience goes a long way.

I find it interesting that the children are expected to forgo individuality and even normal reflexes because they are expected to conform to community standards and basic be perfect mini adults (even though adults aren't) but adults are expected to have things catered to them as individuals even though they live in a community. We as a society fluctuate on a continuum of individualistic stance vs. community stance. Regardless of where in the continuum you place your ideologies, both exist.

(I'm not sure the last paragraph conveys what I'm trying to say so if you pick it apart, I'm okay. It might add clarity, even if I don't agree with everyone's stance in this continuum).
  • tlangenfeld
    tlangenfeld Posts: 2,330 Member
    Options
    WOW the world would be way better if we all tried to get along, and everybody relized kids will be kids and adults should know better then have a tantrum because a child cries. My kids are grown and never has a child crying, tantrum or any other action has ever ruined my day of what ever i am doing. The only time someone can ruin your day is if you allow them to.

I would much rather put up with a child worst tantrum then to see a adult act like a child having a tantrum
    children learn that it is not right and an adult should already know

Come on Adults lets be adults and those of you who think it should be your way grow up

But why should other people out enjoying their day have to put up with someone else's sex trophy acting like a wild animal?

I did not say children should be allowed to misbehave but most parents try to teach thier child it is not proper behavior and with the correct guidance the kids learn not to misbehave. Parents can not predict when thier child will act up. Believe me if they could we would see alot less kids crying and bisbehaving in public.
    That being said I have seen way worse misbehaving from ADULTS who SHOULD know better and a much worse scene then a child ever could.
    Ever go to a NICE restraunt and sit accross from a table where the ADULTS are all drunk and MISBEHAVING ? I have and tell you what would rather sit across from a CHILD on thier worst behavior, at least the parent will be trying to stop it. So who is going to stop the adult from making a scene interupting everyones meal and being very inappropriate in almost everyway? The manager? the Waitress? the Police?
    most of the time a child can be calmed down or easily removed from the scene
    a adult much harder and you don't have a parent trying to calm them down and about the only way to remove the adult is to get physical
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options

I think the logic behind "HB, L" would shut down almost every thread.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

I think the logic behind "HB, L" would shut down almost every thread.

I give up!! HB, L! Here have a cookie... hope you don't mind that my sweet baby girl helped make them.... :drinker:
  • Joocey
    Joocey Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Your examples don't match up though. Those other causes are all illegal and not part of normal development.

Part of living in a community is living with others. Sure we have societal expectations. I just think it is sad that many in this thread are so rigid in those expectations given something that is developmentally appropriate to the community members they are mingling with.

Swerving to avoid a dog resulting in an accident probably isn't illegal, but just to be sure pretend I said swerving to avoid an out of control schoolbus of schoolchildren and nuns carrying emergency relief funds to impoverished third-world countries. :laugh:
    But even if we take the disability out of it and just focus on a crying 2 year old, I find it sad that we definitely have a lot of ageism here (whether it is a protected class or not) to the point that we can't deal with NORMAL behavior without having tantrums of our own, internal or otherwise. Again, a little patience goes a long way.

It's not so much that I can't deal with it. I can deal with a lot of things. But I don't have to like it. And, if there is an option available, I would prefer not to deal with it. So it's like... okay, let's say your 2-year old cries 24/7 for some reason. But you have to bring him on a plane to visit your deceased whatever like said above. Well that sucks for me but... you gotta do what you gotta do, right? So I can have a corresponding amount of understanding and compassion.

But what if you're bringing him to a spa -- a real spa with towels wrapped around heads and cucumber slices on the eyes and people wearing fluffy slippers to get away from the grind. And you decide to bring your crying 2-year old. You don't gotta do that so much! So not as much understanding and very little compassion from me.
    I find it interesting that the children are expected to forgo individuality and even normal reflexes because they are expected to conform to community standards and basic be perfect mini adults (even though adults aren't) but adults are expected to have things catered to them as individuals even though they live in a community. We as a society fluctuate on a continuum of individualistic stance vs. community stance. Regardless of where in the continuum you place your ideologies, both exist.

(I'm not sure the last paragraph conveys what I'm trying to say so if you pick it apart, I'm okay. It might add clarity, even if I don't agree with everyone's stance in this continuum).

I get what you're saying, but it's situational. See above. Kids can be kids in places where kids are supposed to be kids. But if you're bringing a kid to an adult environment, they should behave like adults... or not be there. The exact same applies with adults. An adult at a football game is not the same as an adult meeting the CEO of a Fortune 500 company is not the same as an adult at the playground with his kid.

I disagree completely with what you, and other posters, say about how somehow adults are excluded from these rules. They are not. To take just one example, adults that are disruptive on planes are also removed. I fail to see where there is "catering" to adults that somehow isn't situationally dependent. If I were to walk into an arcade or theme park and demand that all the children be quiet, I doubt anyone would cater to me.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/05/14/woman-removed-from-plane-for-refusing-to-stop-singing-a-whitney-houston-song/
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    O my word I can't stop :sad: :sad: :sad: How thoroughly DISGUSTING :mad: I think EVERYBODY who reads this should let this salon owner know how horrible she is! What an awful world we live in............................

How exactly will that help? Yes it is terrible. No, sadly I don't think it is all that unusual. But how will people raging from thousands of miles away impact that woman? Sharing it locally and with people who can impact her business - absolutely.
    It impacted you enough to comment in the thread about it. . . more than once. Are you local, or is your response somehow different?
  • lillith1991
    lillith1991 Posts: 70
    Options
    As one of said former special needs child(epilepsy , adrenal hyperplasia, and fused kidneys), I blame both parties. The owner was way out of line to yell at the childs mother like that. If it was already known by staff and owner the child was on the spectrum then plans should of been made to make said child as comfy as possible. At the same time it was the moms job to do the same for her child. The child could of been taken into a quieter space for his hair cut. He could of been given the first or last time slot. Both the mom and salon owner acted stupidly in their own way.

My mother advoided places with flashing lights with me when possible because I was moderately photo sensetive when small. Why? Common sense , avoid the big flashy trigger.
  • omgitsgarry
    omgitsgarry Posts: 138
    Options
    I work at a salon as a receptionist and I've seen it all. Kids messing around with k cup machines and over flowing hot chocolate everywhere, throwing toys around the waiting room, demanding candies, awkwardly staring at other guests for uncomfortable amounts of time, fighting with siblings to the point that they come to blows, and just generally being annoying, but business is business. We don't refuse anybody if we have time for them and if someone complains (which is never), we give them a discount for their troubles. Looks like the owner needs to adjust her business model to one that fits her needs and leave her temper and her paying costumers out of it.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Joocey, I actually don't disagree with the situational factor. I don't see it nearly as rigid as some do, but in the case of an upscale spa with no children services offered, etc., I agree with your point.. From what I read, despite the name, this is not really one of those places. Furthermore, from what I understand, there were children services offered as part of the business services. There was also mentions of this not being the first child the woman was rude to, despite her business offerings. I don't live there though. I can't see the signs to verify.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Autism is irrelevant in what I am talking about. If your child has autism that doesn't make it excusable for you to just sit back, relax and let them run around raising hell and bothering everyone else in a restaurant, theatre, etc.

Who said anything about letting children run around raising hell and bothering others as being ok?

several people in this thread actually.

Who do you perceive as saying this?

Im not going back through the thread and finding them but the ones that said "I have every right to be out with my kid even if they are screaming, yelling, throwing a fit, etc." NO, you have a right to get your brat in line so everyone else doesn't have to suffer.

If you be so kind as to clarify:

Are you implying that the same parents with kids who "are screaming, yelling, throwing a fit, etc." are ALWAYS the same parents who "sit back, relax and let them run around raising hell and bothering everyone else in a restaurant, theatre, etc."?

Thank you.
  • lillith1991
    Options
    Ok since people don't want to handle this reasonably I'm going to be blunt. Was the owner an *kitten*? Yes. Was her behavior unacceptable? Yes. Could something pf been done to put the kid in a less stimulating enviorement for his hair cut ? Most likely. Should it of been offered by the staff or requested by the mother? Deffinitly. Could the kid of been given a closing or opening slot if nothing else? Yes! But some of this blame lays on the mother as well.

Just like my mother knew that certain things triggered my seizures and them worse so did this mother know that things can trigger her sons freaking out. My room had to have an AC during summer, and up until I was 8 flashing lights were an expose at your own risk thing. Did I go to chuckee cheese like a normal 90's baby? Yup, I sure did. But if either heat or flashing lights made my seizures worse my mother took responsablity. She was the one who controled my enviorment so it was up to her to make the right choices till I was old enough to help. And dispite this I got to go camping, fishing, ride bikes, play baseball and basket ball with our neihbores and climb trees.

It is is both the same and different for a child on the spectrum. The poor kid already has senses that are hyper aware of everything in the extreme. And a lot of kids like that are mute. The easiest way I can explain it is that the child is like a sentinal from the series of the same name, only mute. And without the ability to control their senses.
  • lillith1991
    Options
    In the case of this child both mom and business owner should of made better choices. The owner could of not been an *kitten* , and the mom could of asked for the cut to take place in a quieter setting when booking the appointment.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Maybe the spa owner was having a bad day, or was unaware that the child was autistic. When events like this are blown out of proportion, it's harder, not easier, for the actual human beings involved to admit their mistakes, and maybe, just possibly, make amends.