Cussing at/to Children

Options
wineplease
wineplease Posts: 469 Member
I read an article that suggest cussing at your child is a form of verbal abuse. I also work at a school that does not tolerate teachers and coaches who cuss in the classroom, on the playing fields or courts, or to our students.

What are your thoughts? Is it a form of verbal abuse? Is it ever okay? Are coaches okay to do this, but not teachers?

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The best teacher I ever had, the one who was the greatest positive influence on me, was a high school history teacher who swore like a sailor. Well, because he was one. He was an old Navy vet. Abuse? **** no.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    As a teacher, I am NOT allowed to speak like that to my students. It's off-limits for a reason. Speaking like that to a child is not okay.

I question anyone who would defend that behavior.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I think its silly the words are taboo and I use them when needed but with children I think its inappropriate. Mainly because the words are usually expressing anger in an extreme way and I think its not a good idea to do that in front of kids. They should learn the high road and how to deal with a stressful situation without cussing. I also think the words are used to insult others, talk down about something/someone and are just generally reducing the quality of speech. So as setting an example I think they are better off without them but will eventually find out sooner or later. Then maybe they'll be better able to handle how to use them?

I think its more trashy for any professional to be cussing in front of kids. Shows you have no manners, self control or respect for those around you.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    As a teacher, I a not allowed to speak likethat to my students. It's off-limits for a reason. Speaking like that to a child is not okay.

I question anyone who would defend that behavior.

Agreed!!!!!!!
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Kids hear it everywhere it can't be avoided thus is life
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I mean, I cuss. I know, shocker. But, I don't cuss AT my children. I wouldn't consider it abuse, per say, but I wouldn't really appreciate if they were being cussed at, either.
  • elleryjones
    elleryjones Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Cursing in front of children I think is just low class. Cursing AT children is definitely verbal abuse.

Kids learn what we teach them.

I had a client once who was explaining to me, in all sincerity, that no matter how much he beat his son, he just couldn't seem to get the son to stop beating up his sister.
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I would never speak to a child like that. I *have* slipped up in conversation around my little nephew and used a swear word. He's always quick to remind me it's a bad word. LOL
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I think it's a load of crap it's verbal abuse. Are you kidding me? My husband and I swear like sailors in front of the kids, not so much AT them. I tell them to cut the crap/**** and stop being an *kitten*. The thing here, TEACH your kids what's right and appropriate for kids to say. They know the difference between anger and just talking.

People have issues when they're the ones doing the crappy parenting and not properly teaching their children right from wrong IMO.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    My 3 year old said *kitten* the other day. I repremanded him and asked him where he got that word from and his reply:

YOU mommy!

#oopsies
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    You get what you give, you treat children the way you want to be treated. If you swear at another person (regardless of age or category) then you better expect them to swear back at you.
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Totally depends. Most people, at least I'd hope I'm not alone, let something slip once or twice. I never curse at my daughter, but I've said a few words I'm glad she didn't pick up on lol. I'd be super pissed and have more than a few choice words if anyone said I was abusing her because of it.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I was at the park over the weekend, and heard a mother telling her children what to do if a stranger grabbed them. (The children were walking in front of the Mom, and she was yelling at them to "instruct" them- it was impossible to not hear what she said.)

If someone were to grab them, the kids (3 children less than 10 years old) were told to yell out as loud as they could "Mother******- I don't know you!"

Although I laughed at the absurdity of it- I was taken back at the way the Mom spoke around the kids. In that case- no I don't think it's verbal abuse. But- I also do not believe that is a healthy way to talk to young children, either.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I think there's a big difference between swearing when they can hear you and swearing AT them.

1: Accidentally letting my child overhear me, "Oh I had a really bad effing day"

2: My child accidentally, say, drops a cup. I respond to this, "Are you EFFING kidding me!?"

Situation 1 is not that big of a deal, imo. Situation 2 crosses the line.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I think it is, personally. There are too many other words out there to use and no excuse to use foul language to a child. My kids have heard me say that I am pissed off about something on occasion but I would never use it towards them.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between saying "Oh *kitten*!" in front of a child because you walked into a door frame and telling a child/student his work is "*kitten*" or he "doesn't know shi!t."

Not sure what your intentions were with the subject line, and if you were digging at that distinction or not. I would probably juxtapose the two ideas as cussing at/in front of children.

Verbal abuse is verbal abuse. Sometimes it involves cussing, sometimes it does not. Cussing does not necessarily mean verbal abuse.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    My mother always told me that people who cuss all the time have a limited vocabulary.

Cuss words are "power words" to children and once they hear them they want to use them all the time.

No, never cuss at children.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    If the kids are in high school, that's one thing, but to see a parent curse at their child just infuriates me. Or to call them stupid or to tell their child to shut up. It makes me want to break their faces.
  • amyrcathey
    amyrcathey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I want to be a teacher one day and I would never cuss at/to my future students just like I wouldn't to my 9 nieces and nephews who are all under 6 years old. This is because I would want to KEEP my job and as for the nieces and nephews: my sisters wouldn't approve. However I don't plan on changing my cussing behavior in my own house when I have children. Why? Many reasons. I don't agree with the idea that it is verbal abuse - I have received verbal abuse and believe me, no "bad" words are required to get the job done. Words are words and their meaning is conveyed with the attitude of the speaker. I don't want my kids to grow up regarding certain words as immoral.
  • mylast5lbs
    mylast5lbs Posts: 25
    Options
    My teenage daughter no, don't have to. My teenage son, *kitten* yes.