Why Women Should Not Run (as their only means to lose)

Options

Replies

• RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the bunny pics. Also because I have a friend who's a cardio bunny and super frustrated about her lack of results. I've mentioned she might add some light-weight or body-weight training for improved results. (You know, until she gets comfortable enough doing those things so she can really lift with me. :smile: )
  • bonnykate
    bonnykate Posts: 123
    Options
    The well-written and cited counter-opinion, from the good people of Examine.com (guest-posted on gokaleo.com):

http://gokaleo.com/2013/06/11/women-and-running

Not saying there isn't anything else good to do with your body, but running can be good stuff too!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    The author's conclusions above. And thanks for posting the rebuttal:

Steady-state cardio has been shown numerous times to have many health benefits leading to decreased mortality risks. Sure, “too much” (so far quantified only as “long term and excessive” amounts typically used by competitive, extreme distance athletes) is not good for you and can be detrimental to general health and fitness goals. But for all the Jessicas out there, moderate amounts can easily be included in a well-rounded routine to complement fat loss goals or general health pursuits.
    That said, steady-state cardio is not a requirement. If someone doesn’t want to do it or doesn’t like it, there are other alternatives that can be used. What this all boils down to is this: If you enjoy running and feel it benefits you and your training, and aligns with your goals… then keep on running.

Even they recommend a well rounded health approach.
  • pig2201
    pig2201 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Running is better than sitting on one's bottom all day.x
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    This thread needs more cardio bunnies. Who doesn't love cardio bunnies? :)

Running (or doing any cardio) over 20 hours a week is excessive and I could see how that could cause muscle loss and hinder progress on losing fat, but how many people are really putting in those hours doing cardio unless they are training for a specific event? An hour a day or a few times a week is not going to slow your progress on losing fat, imo.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    deadhorse.jpg
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I have lost over 80 pounds and have gotten really excellent definition with running being 90% of my workout repertoire. Started Insanity recently, but my actual goal from it was to increase my cardio endurance as I now wish to run faster and longer races.

Personally, I think a mix of both cardio and strength is the way to go, but have noticed a whole lot of "cardio bunny" shaming for (primary) women who choose to burn calories through cardio - not just here, but heavily in the Crossfit community as well. It's disheartening that the benefits to your lung and heart functions are so easily dismissed...calorie burn aside.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I have lost over 80 pounds and have gotten really excellent definition with running being 90% of my workout repertoire. Started Insanity recently, but my actual goal from it was to increase my cardio endurance as I now wish to run faster and longer races.

Personally, I think a mix of both cardio and strength is the way to go, but have noticed a whole lot of "cardio bunny" shaming for (primary) women who choose to burn calories through cardio - not just here, but heavily in the Crossfit community as well. It's disheartening that the benefits to your lung and heart functions are so easily dismissed...calorie burn aside.

Did I miss the part where it said that cardio doesn't help with a caloric deficit?
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    So funny thing...I posted I believed this article was total tripe and guess what? I just read the scientific proof that it IS total tripe...

It's a long read, but if you want some FACTS...here is it

http://gokaleo.com/2013/06/11/women-and-running/

I especially liked the closing 2 paragraphs,

"If anything should be taken away from John Kiefer’s article, it has little to do with running. What should be learned from this article is that a string of numbers after a claim does not automatically make it true. As a reader you should always check up on an author’s sources and come to your own conclusions after you’ve judged the evidence for yourself. If you were looking for an echo chamber to confirm your anti-endurance opinions, then the article was exactly what you wanted. But why mislead readers with contradicting or tangential citations? Why talk in certainties when none exist? Why use small, unrepresentative populations to generalize to the average woman?

Only the author can answer these questions.

Steady-state cardio has been shown numerous times to have many health benefits leading to decreased mortality risks. Sure, “too much” (so far quantified only as “long term and excessive” amounts typically used by competitive, extreme distance athletes) is not good for you and can be detrimental to general health and fitness goals. But for all the Jessicas out there, moderate amounts can easily be included in a well-rounded routine to complement fat loss goals or general health pursuits.
    That said, steady-state cardio is not a requirement. If someone doesn’t want to do it or doesn’t like it, there are other alternatives that can be used. What this all boils down to is this: If you enjoy running and feel it benefits you and your training, and aligns with your goals… then keep on running."

EXCELLENT!!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    So the idea of advocating not only cardio but strength training is tripe?
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mkbxcsi7YC1s9zd94o1_500.gif
    Squeeee it's so adorable!

My ex lost 100 pounds by only running.

I plan on not running. But I have a bad knee. I prefer to hit things, and lift heavy things.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i lift and run. and the main positive aspect of adding the lifting: i can eat whatever i want and still improve on what i look like.

the article is a bit lacking though, i mean it fails to consider the huge difference between running 1/2-1h 3-4 times a week and running 20 hours total. at that point, of course, your body will have to make adaptations, especially if you are crazy enough to do that and eat at a deficit.

demonizing something just because some people overdo it is just plain lazy.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    also, tired of men telling me what i should be doing.

SERIOUSLY. No uterus, no opinion. :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Did you really search for this thread just so you could declare moral superiority? One need not have a uterus to have knowledge of the female body. That I'm quite sure of.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

why-is-this-thread-back-again.jpg

And probably shouldn't go to male doctors or personal trainers then either.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I always love it when a man starts a thread about what women should and should not do.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

why-is-this-thread-back-again.jpg

And probably shouldn't go to male doctors or personal trainers then either.

difference being when I go to a male doctor or a male trainer, I have a personal relationship with them and they know me personally. Having a professional opinion based on a consensual relationship between two individuals is really different than one man saying "WOMEN SHOULD NOT DO X, Y, or Z"
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I always love it when a man starts a thread about what women should and should not do.

The recommendation was an accurate one. Moderate cardio + moderate strength training. Why should his gender diminish the quality of his advice?
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

THIS.

for the record, this woman does cardio and lifting. I also do yoga, surf, rock climb, eat ice cream, play with my kid, work my butt off at my job, and feed my dog real meat while I eat vegetarian.