How many dates should a guy pay for?

Options

Replies

• alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I agree that each should pay their part. However, I have always been with a guy that will split the bill with his male friends, but will not ever make a girl pay. Even when I insisted. He has gotten a little upset when I excused myself to the restroom, to go pay the bill before he could...lol He obviously got over it though. We have been together for 19 yrs, and married for 18 yrs. (-:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I would never expect the guy to pay for the date. For the 1st date...it might be nice. I kind of go half and half...you know. If the guy gets dinner, I will pay for the movie.
  • nope31
    nope31 Posts: 174
    Options
    [img]http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/DeannAN/movies and tv/GOTe02_awake.gif[/img]

Wake-Up ppl. Its 2013
    None.
    A guy shouldn't "Have" to pay for any dates.
    He can because he is a gentlemen.
    It sure does make a girl feel special and adored if a dinner is treated to her and for her.
    If there are more dates to come and an open line of communication, then the girl should chime in and at least offer to pay the Tip.
    My rule is You, the Guy buys the meal, I always pay the Tip. Even if It means I have to fork over $40.
    Its the least we can do.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Whoever invites pays? all depends on the gal.

This is how it worked (and still does) for hubby and me when we were dating. Worked just fine! :flowerforyou:
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Who asks for the date at the beginning, then if it's more regular, alternate unless he wants to pay.
  • AngelaMarieMs
    Options
    Guys should pay for dates till they are actually in a relationship. Once you get a title the bill should be split.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I think it's really sweet (not to mention sexy) when a guy pays for dates for the first month or two.... and as long as he wishes to past that point. Ideally, a guy would pay for dates all the time and the girl would take it upon herself to frequently surprise him with his favorite takeout or a great home-cooked meal... but that's the old soul in me talking. All other methods are okay too, but it just depends on the guy and gal.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Man, I'm glad I'm not in the dating pool....so confusing now.

I suppose I'm in the camp of "whoever asks" since women are almost as likely to instigate a date now as men are, but at the same time, I still have that old fashion need for a guy to show his interest by "wooing" me. I think, like many women, that does NOT require a thick wallet so much as a little imagination and a touch of romance.

Frankly, my income is many, MANY times my hubby's (and he's active-duty military) so I guess I pretty much pay for everything. But my hubby is SUPER supportive of me and since I work so much, our "traditional" roles have pretty much reversed. I absolutely love that he is willing to take on that role and not feel inferior, jealous, or resentful. It definitely would NOT work with many men. He also has a wife who loves cars more than most men, loves sports, and the outdoors....he's pretty spoiled. ;)
  • healthyandfitgirl14
    healthyandfitgirl14 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    well i'm poor so all of them :)
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Depends on his means and stage of life. Girls, offer to pay the gratuity at restaurants. Leave cash and tip big. Everybody wins.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    every man i've ever dated paid for all dates, all vacations, etc.

i would be totally put off by a guy who asked me out and then expected me to pay half of the bill - i would certainly never go out with them again.

i'm with my husband 22 years now so maybe the dating and marriage views have changed but he never asked me to split our dates and he has never asked me to split our expenses now - a loving partnership doesn't mean everything is split 50/50 - if you're keeping a balance sheet on each other you might want to look for a different mate.

i would never want to be with a person who constantly kept a tab on money, chores, intimacy, etc - just to make sure that everything is 50/50. life and marriage isn't and shouldn't be that way - partners should be generous in spirit and want to give all that they can to their love.

This is how my relationship works :)
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Guys should pay for dates till they are actually in a relationship. Once you get a title the bill should be split.

Some people might think that is backwards. You pay for a stranger but split the bill with "your girl"?
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Only pay for one date at a time. She could be run over by a bus or something, and you'd be out tens of dollars.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    When I'm with a woman, I'll pay for whatever she wants.. but when dating, the least I can do is dinner on me.. and cab fare later on :)
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Too lazy to check if I already replied to this. My man spoiled me from the get go. He had me whooped in every way. That's what set him apart. Before him, I had always dated cheapskates. Lol! It was as if I was in a dream. Times is a little hard now and I treat him out every now and then (steak & RH day), but I'll never forget all the awesome dates we had. It's been like 13 yrs together. :drinker:
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    As long as you're clear about it when you ask someone out, does it matter?
  • kelsierose094
    kelsierose094 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My ex-boyfriend paid for the first date..and I know that "generally" that's how it goes so I let him. From then, I refused to let him pay for the entirity. Then when we became and official couple, it was always just who got their money out first :laugh:
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It should always be 0. No one should be expected to pay. If I don't connect with you, I ain't paying. If we had a good time together, sure I'll get the bill. That's why first date should always be some drinks.

Then again, I get girls to buy me shots at the bars occasionally so perhaps I aint the best data point.

If the girl I am on a date with is angry due to a $15 drink bill, then they need to get their priorities straight.

Personally, after 3 dates if the girl expects me to keep "spoiling" her, I just cut it off. Don't be a one of those girls ladies, especially in the age where yall are making roughly the same amount of money as us guys at an early age. Nothing impresses me more then a girl who says "I got it" on a date.

Oh and fellas, 2nd / 3rd date. Cook for her, have her bring a bottle of wine to your place. Work the magic. Never take a girl out to some expensive restaurant early on.
    Page 12 and nobody gave the right answer to win the iPad mini. The correct answer was....

the government!

I gave the right answer but someone deleted my post.... come'on normie, gimme the mini!! lol ;)

you can have the mini. And I'd pay for every single date.

I am with NormInv....all dates should be paid for by the guy!
  • Adrasteis
    Adrasteis Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't expect a man to pay for me, but I am grateful and appreciative when he does. I always offer to split it, and it has always been rebuffed. I usually buy his drink or two if we go to a bar or club later, just a small token of appreciation. The looks on their faces is always priceless.
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I would appreciate a gentlemen to always pay the bill, open the door and treat me like lady. For special occasions, I do pay for dinner, gifts for my dearest hubby. This is my traditional values...;0)