Do you lift heavy? Are you bulky?

Options

Replies

• holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I've only been weightlifting for a little bit. I had my introduction to it about three months ago and just started a solid plan 3 weeks ago. I don't know exactly how much I can lift yet, but I plan on trying for some maxes next week so I'll know soon. When I do I'll post some pictures!
    Alright, so I just started this week, and I obviously am a total weakling.This week, I got pretty much just the bar for everything, except for bench. So 45 squat, 45 deadlift, 55 bench (will try OHP next week).

What weight did you guys all start out on? I'm definitely sore, and was really pushing for the last rep, so I know I'm doing as much weight as possible. But I feel kinda lame, because in high school I was lifting triple this in most of my lifts. :/

Also, I'm doing 5 sets of 5 reps, because I've seen it mentioned a lot. Suggestions?

This is an old question but it's a good one so I wanted to reply.

I didn't start putting weight on the bar until at least a week into serious training, and all the practice I had before that was with PVC pipes and bars. I use a 35lb bar, and I was plenty sore just from going through all the new movements.

I've been adding weight really pretty slowly. There's been a few times when I've approached failure, though, even at these low weights. So yeah, looking at all the ladies stats in this thread makes me feel pretty weak.

But I'm stronger than I was last week, and that counts for a lot. I started with a 55lb squat and now I can do 75lbs. One day I'll be able to squat my body weight, and then I'll work for more. We all start somewhere.
  • BigSexy0_0
    BigSexy0_0 Posts: 57
    Options
    bump
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Most women don't seem to get bulky with lifting, but there's got to be some genetic component. My old roommate had what might be described as a bulky, more masculine frame, especially during dance season. Naturally high levels of testosterone, perhaps?
  • kimbtaylor1
    kimbtaylor1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Most women don't seem to get bulky with lifting, but there's got to be some genetic component. My old roommate had what might be described as a bulky, more masculine frame, especially during dance season. Naturally high levels of testosterone, perhaps?

I would have to agree with you on the genetic part. I don't consider myself bulky now however it wouldn't take much effort for me to get that way. (I'm not bragging and as someone posted in a previous post I may just be a genetic freak.) What I consider bulky is not the Arnolds with a pony tail but more masculine then I would like.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

I would have to agree with you on the genetic part. I don't consider myself bulky now however it wouldn't take much effort for me to get that way. (I'm not bragging and as someone posted in a previous post I may just be a genetic freak.) What I consider bulky is not the Arnolds with a pony tail but more masculine then I would like.

So then you probably aren't a 'genetic freak' at all, you just have a different definition of bulky and muscular...

And stop calling muscle definition masculine, FFS... what's feminine then? Fat?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Then continue with your cardio and be on your way. There's nothing in this thread for you.
  • holothuroidea
    Options

So then you probably aren't a 'genetic freak' at all, you just have a different definition of bulky and muscular...

Having a higher percentage of body fat is one of the few things that actually is a uniquely feminine physical characteristic.

What I want to know is why it's considered negative for a woman to have or want a more masculine shape.
  • kimbtaylor1
    Options

Having a higher percentage of body fat is one of the few things that actually is a uniquely feminine physical characteristic.

What I want to know is why it's considered negative for a woman to have or want a more masculine shape.

Ok first I didn't call muscle definition masculine. I said if I were to lift heavy I would become bulky and more masculine than I would like. Not all women who lift will have this and it is something that I know about my body. There have been times in my journey where I have almost lost my neck due to muscle bulk and lord knows its a constant battle with my legs. I did not say anything negative about people who want to have more muscle definition I was just stating that there is a genetic factor behind if a women would "bulk" up or not. I get that everyone is sensitive about their bodies and I would not want to offend anyone. However, just because what I say is different than what you would like to hear does not mean that either of us is wrong.....just different.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    The notion that muscles (either size, bulk or definition) equal masculine is the problem. It's fine to say "I ended up having larger muscles than I'd like." but to imply that muscles=manly is silly and somewhat insulting to those of us who like muscles and or want more of them. For the most part the definition of "feminine" and "masculine is driven by society and culture and constantly changing. Some people might say that the notion that muscles are masculine means that to be feminine is to be weak and not just physically. Some of us like to challenge this notion that women are supposed to be weak.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Ok first I didn't call muscle definition masculine. I said if I were to lift heavy I would become bulky and more masculine than I would like.

Well that just seems like one big contradicting statement.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    The notion that muscles (either size, bulk or definition) equal masculine is the problem. It's fine to say "I ended up having larger muscles than I'd like." but to imply that muscles=manly is silly and somewhat insulting to those of us who like muscles and or want more of them. For the most part the definition of "feminine" and "masculine is driven by society and culture and constantly changing. Some people might say that the notion that muscles are masculine means that to be feminine is to be weak and not just physically. Some of us like to challenge this notion that women are supposed to be weak.

This. And similarly, a thin woman is called "boyish." When I was younger and straight up and down, I didn't look boyish. I just looked like a slender woman. If anything, I looked girlish. :laugh:
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Ok first I didn't call muscle definition masculine. I said if I were to lift heavy I would become bulky and more masculine than I would like.

Since muscle definition =/= "bulky," and "bulky" and "more masculine" are used as two separate descriptors, I don't see how that's a contradicting statement. I don't think you two are even talking about the same thing.
  • kimbtaylor1
    Options

If my wording confuses I'm sorry. I am just saying that for me that is how it is and I don't want that for myself. I am not saying that its a negative thing for those who want it. I have a masculine shape as it is that is not a negative. I was responding to the poster that said there could be a genitic link to some women becoming more bulky than others. Due to my already muscular build I can and have become to bulky. Me saying that I like my build now and don't want it to become what it was before is no different than me saying I once had red hair...I didn't like it so I changed it.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I don't have any pictures, sorry. I used to do a fair amount of training with my wife's powerlifting team that happened to have six or seven world record holding women. None of those women looked bulky. They actually looked great, and all of them were stronger than they looked. My wife had a personal best of 260 bench press at 127 lb @44 years old with a 395 deadlift & squat. She could have set world records if she could just calm down and not get psyched out at meets. In any case, she looked fit and athletic but not bulky. But it was a bummer to have a tickle fight with her.

Alright, there was one woman who after seven years of very hard work started to develop some serious traps and shoulders. But she was the exception that proves the rule. This woman trained with the effort and discipline of an Olympic athlete and was pumped about setting world records. She benched upwards of 290 and deadlifting in the 480s at a weight class of 121 lbs.

Another exception was anybody who took steroids (not tolerated on our team at all). Those women don't look like women. Oh, and there were some freaks among the bodybuilders, but those people didn't get much respect from the power lifting crowd.
  • holothuroidea
    Options
    YAY!! I did some 1rm's and now I know how much I can lift atm. :)

5'3; 130lbs

Deadlift- 130lbs
    Squat- 100lbs
    OHP- 55lbs

Look at how manly I am.

935922_10152957995815327_705272120_n_zps6381c2b9.jpg

I can do this, too! Check out my bulky legs.

992958_10152957996560327_511892232_n_zps0e457322.jpg
  • Wildflowers70
    Wildflowers70 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    OMG! Enough of the lifting heavy=bulky threads........so over it, so over played
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OMG! Enough of the lifting heavy=bulky threads........so over it, so over played

lol - check the OP date.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Since muscle definition =/= "bulky," and "bulky" and "more masculine" are used as two separate descriptors, I don't see how that's a contradicting statement. I don't think you two are even talking about the same thing.

Because it is still implying that any weight training and gain of strength = masculinity.

"Being a female" or "being a male" shouldn't be dependent on looks in my opinion, but on what you feel you are. Having people try to define you based on looks is sad and dismisses who that person could be.'

At the same time, trying to define things by gender has you missing out on testing your potential and closing your mind off to certain truths.