Men: Oblivious to Flirting.

Options

Replies

• _Moose51_
    _Moose51_ Posts: 86
    Options
    I am oblivious, I always assume that woman are being nice. I guess I am brick to the head kind of guy.
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I don't realize that I was being hit on till we start having sex then I realize that she was hitting on me...who knew?

(Of course I am talking about my wife.....Her: Want some? Me: OK.)
  • FarAway02
    FarAway02 Posts: 211
    Options
    Yes and yes... I recently had a girl repeatedly try catch my boyfriend's eye/smile at him, laugh with him etc etc etc..... he had no clue. But if a guy so much as looks at me he's all over it, lol
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My fiance is oblivious, too! He is a super smart man who is very polite, but definitely not a flirt by any means. When women check him out or flirt with him, he is not responsive at all and if I mention it later he's incredulous! I think it's pretty funny, especially when it's a young "hot" girl. His actual "type" is very specific - he likes curvy tall girls with dark hair who are Caucasian, Asian, or black. Some petite Southern belle with blonde hair will check out his muscular physique or outright compliment his red beard etc, and he's like "ok, thanks".
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I was that way for a long time. I think most people have a feeling when someone is flirting with them, but you don't want to be presumptuous and risk being wrong, so you just pretend to be clueless and hope that if they're really interested, they'll be more obvious about it at some point.

These days, I just try being honest. If I find someone attractive or funny or interesting, I tell him that. If he picks up on it and follows through, great. If he doesn't, I assume it's because he's not interested, clueless, or missing a set of testicles. In any case, not that big of a deal, especially if it's someone I just met.

Hey this is well said. I have friends who tell me when a guy is flirting but its usually a guy I wouldn't look twice at. Im also not in that frame of mind, as in Im not looking, so Its easy to shrug flirting off.If I was interested you bet your toosh Id notice. Unfortunately Im not interested in many.

In real life my way of flirting is being quiet and using my eyes, they do the "cartoon" All glossy and shine like Diamonds
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    Could it be that some women are being over -sensitive to normal, friendly behavior? (Did you SEE how she grabbed his arm when he almost fell? Did you SEE how she looked RIGHT AT HIM when they were talking?!?)

Or, are some women bad at flirting that they think that something like putting Sweet n' Low in your tea for you is some overt display of desire? Or, putting an ice cube in hot coffee to cool it faster.

Or that some guys are oblivious?

Or a combination of the three?

Also, I would think that context would play a part. For example, I am less likely to recognize flirting at work - where flirtation is not expected and not common.
  • SteveK279
    SteveK279 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Definitely oblivious most of the time - it's becoming a regular occurrence that friends (and usually female ones) tell me I was being flirted with. I guess inside the skinnier me is still the same old fat me...I'm surprised he still fits ;)
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    I jut show them my boobs.

Works for me.

See, this is where I struggle...since we are on a weight loss sight I would probably assume that this is the start of a before/after set of pics or maybe even and look at my progress. I am here to support people on their journey.

Note: any ladies that would like to give this experiment a try you can PM or kik me... :bigsmile: It might be interesting to see how it plays out...
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I think woman believe men are oblivious because time and time again we will think a girl is flirting with us, then when we start flirting we are met with.. "Whoa buddy, I was just being nice".. so now most guys are apprehensive to think woman are flirting with them because we think everything is flirty but try not to cross a line until we are sure.. which in some cases we like CLEAR signs.

Woman hold all the power, why do you hide the flirtiness.. just be open and direct.. guys don't want to scavenger hunt around your meanings.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    They say they are oblivious, but they're really banging her behind your back. They lie.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Yea, most of us are.
  • bahrainbel_2
    Options
    I like my boyfriend getting flirted with and hit on by other women, it makes me feel good that he's with me.
  • gravity357
    Options
    I'm guilty of being oblivious...
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I think woman believe men are oblivious because time and time again we will think a girl is flirting with us, then when we start flirting we are met with.. "Whoa buddy, I was just being nice".. so now most guys are apprehensive to think woman are flirting with them because we think everything is flirty but try not to cross a line until we are sure.. which in some cases we like CLEAR signs.

Woman hold all the power, why do you hide the flirtiness.. just be open and direct.. guys don't want to scavenger hunt around your meanings.

This sounds like a reasonable assessment. I may have developed an allergy to subtlety. The other option is to respond in an even more subtle way which tends to annoy the woman, as well.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i joke around with everyone and i think a lot of folks assume im flirty. when it happens to me i am clueless.

so yes i agree, men are stupid and women are crazy
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I have always been oblivious to,flirting. My friends would have to point it out and I still didn't,t get it. After I got engaged, I was informed by friends and family about a few other guys who had been flirting and hitting on me. I never saw it.

"Oblivious" isn't just for men.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I think part of it is you don't want to mistake someone 'being nice' for 'flirting'. I think when it get to another level it's more obvious.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    I actually have a decent radar for it now at least in real life (not online).

The real kicker is I have been hit on by a few gay men and had no idea until they invited me out to a gay bar. I guess I don't still don't have that radar up at all.
  • gravity357
    Options
    I jut show them my boobs.

Works for me.

Thank you for being blunt about it.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I am very oblivious to it. I've had women hitting on me at gigs and it all just went over my head. I have had the guitar players wife have to tell me numerous times that a girl was flirting with me. I haven't been single though in over 20 years, so I really don't recognize the signs at all.