I'm tired, cranky now I read Kate Upton is fat?!

Options

Replies

• Perplexities
    Perplexities Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I evidently still have sleep in my eyes... could someone please help me find the "fat" on Kate Upton?

kate-upton-31.jpg

That isn't even a recent picture, not to mention it's edited.
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I evidently still have sleep in my eyes... could someone please help me find the "fat" on Kate Upton?

sure

KfflpdD.png
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Every single professional photo is edited. Nothing that gets printed in a magazine is "unedited." Photoshop isn't just about making people look thinner than they are, though that seems to be everyone's focus in the forum.

The girl is a model for a reason. It's really that simple. To say she's not model material is ridiculous since she's clearly making a living being a model, and therefore by default she IS model material. A thousand people on MFP could deem her unfit to be a model and it wouldn't make any difference at all... she's already doing it, without their approval. Thankfully, it is not required.

A note about photography and beauty: there are women who look great in real life who fall apart on film. I've dealt with it myself on a project: I brought a group of women in to be photographed and one of them happened to be someone I knew who I believed would be a good choice. She was not photogenic, despite being attractive in the flesh. There were other girls who came in that I thought wouldn't make it and they wound up being chosen over my friend. If you had seen them in person, you wouldn't recognize them on the final photos for the poster. The difference was that drastic. And I'm not talking about Photoshop magic, because we didn't do any work to the photos while we were choosing. We were working from the raw shots, and the raw shots were telling a different story than what we saw in person. The camera is fickle. It doesn't do every woman justice, and yet it blesses some immeasurably.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Every single professional photo is edited. Nothing that gets printed in a magazine is "unedited." Photoshop isn't just about making people look thinner than they are, though that seems to be everyone's focus in the forum.

The girl is a model for a reason. It's really that simple. To say she's not model material is ridiculous since she's clearly making a living being a model, and therefore by default she IS model material. A thousand people on MFP could deem her unfit to be a model and it wouldn't make any difference at all... she's already doing it, without their approval. Thankfully, it is not required.

A note about photography and beauty: there are women who look great in real life who fall apart on film. I've dealt with it myself on a project: I brought a group of women in to be photographed and one of them happened to be someone I knew who I believed would be a good choice. She was not photogenic, despite being attractive in the flesh. There were other girls who came in that I thought wouldn't make it and they wound up being chosen over my friend. If you had seen them in person, you wouldn't recognize them on the final photos for the poster. The difference was that drastic. And I'm not talking about Photoshop magic, because we didn't do any work to the photos while we were choosing. We were working from the raw shots, and the raw shots were telling a different story than what we saw in person. The camera is fickle. It doesn't do every woman justice, and yet it blesses some immeasurably.

My friend is a portrait photographer. She tells people up front that she can't do anything with Photoshop to make you look thinner... at least not naturally.
  • kmartinixx
    kmartinixx Posts: 197
    Options
    Why is she too "fat" and why does she need to lose an "inch or two" to be a model? I mean is it really that wrong to have a model out there who is representing the not-skinny crowd? She's just as beautiful as any other model in my opinion. Just because she is a little bigger doesn't make her any less a model.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have heard she only got famous because her dad is someone who is very rich and basically paid for her to be "discovered." Could be rumors.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    Options
    My friend is a portrait photographer. She tells people up front that she can't do anything with Photoshop to make you look thinner... at least not naturally.

They carve curves into women for magazine covers all the time. And yes, it often looks totally unnatural -- and gives people the impression that if you have a crease in your side when you lean to one side or start to turn your body, you're fat.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    she ain't fat but she shouldn't model

I guess she should be happy you're not the one to make that decision. :wink:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

She can hire me to do her 'shopping for her. :wink:

I did this a year ago when this topic popped up the first time. Or at least the first time I saw it. I wanted to see what it would take to make the photo of Kate Upton that was circulating the forums to be more "magazine ready." I have an ancient copy of photoshop on an ancient computer, rusty 'shopping skills, and no extra filters or tools like a stylus pen. Less than 10 minutes later, done while eating lunch, here's the results.

photoshop.jpg
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/so-about-kate-upton-299727
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Years ago, Cindy Crawford was on some morning show and they showed a before and after of her, and the process used, where they took several inches off of her thighs with PhotoShop. It is absolutely doable and absolutely they do it for magazines and such.

sure

KfflpdD.png
    That's a bad photo at an unflattering angle. Not really showing fat.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I have heard she only got famous because her dad is someone who is very rich and basically paid for her to be "discovered." Could be rumors.
    *cough*NicholasCage*cough*
  • rml_16
    Options
    The camera is fickle. It doesn't do every woman justice, and yet it blesses some immeasurably.

Ugh. Tell me about it.
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m57kx9Mk7o1qzy531o1_500_zpse5468abb.jpg

nice stache
    Options
    tumblr_m57kx9Mk7o1qzy531o1_500_zpse5468abb.jpg

that's an unfortunate picture, but who here doesn't have one or a dozen + pictures close up or caught off guard or making some ridiculous face that we hope the world never sees? Her eyes are still enchanting.
  • rml_16
    Options
    that's an unfortunate picture, but who here doesn't have one or a dozen + pictures close up or caught off guard or making some ridiculous face that we hope the world never sees? Her eyes are still enchanting.

I really don't see what's so bad about it. A waxing of the upper lip and an eyebrow plucking may be in order, but I don't find moles and freckles unattractive. Cindy Crawford was known for her mole.

This is still a beautiful face.
    Options

I really don't see what's so bad about it. A waxing of the upper lip and an eyebrow plucking may be in order, but I don't find moles and freckles unattractive. Cindy Crawford was known for her mole.

I wasn't saying it was a bad picture. Just that it was not her most flattering picture, mostly because it is so close. Someone posted it (I guess) in an attempt to show her not so hot side. I was simply saying we all have pictures we might be less proud of. It happens. She is still beautiful. Its just not a flattering picture. Period.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    Options
    The fact is, every single person alive, model or not, has had a bad photo taken of them at one time or another. The other side of that is this: how many people alive have had a photo like the one I posted taken of them?

There are so many critics posting who would crumble if their good photos were posted here for comment, nevermind their bad ones!
  • rml_16
    Options

I wasn't saying it was a bad picture. Just that it was not her most flattering picture, mostly because it is so close. Someone posted it (I guess) in an attempt to show her not so hot side. I was simply saying we all have pictures we might be less proud of. It happens. She is still beautiful. Its just not a flattering picture. Period.
    I didn't mean you thought it was bad. I was agreeing with you, mostly. :-)

Obviously someone(s) thought it was somehow terribly unattractive.
  • Perplexities
    Options

You can't make someone thinner with Photoshop, naturally? I had no idea.
  • Perplexities
    Options

May be in order?
    She has a mustache, a uni-brow and yellow teeth.