Soooo....I Have Cancer

Options

Replies

• Smitten823
    Smitten823 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for being brave and for sharing your story - It is so scary and unfortunate that this happened to you and i am sending my sympathy and wishing you a very speedy recovery! I am sure you will come out of this stronger and healthier! Best of luck to you and stay strong! In the darkest moments re-reading these post will help you get through with the strength of you family and friends as well :) Keep us updated!!!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I can't add anything that hasn't already been said but just wanted to add my best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    As a Relay For Life Team Co-Chair BIG HUGS to you. You WILL get through this. You have so many prayers coming your way from complete strangers here on MFP along with many many more prayers from your family and friends. You WILL beat Cancer!!!
  • janie12835
    janie12835 Posts: 75
    Options
    Attitude makes all the difference. Give yourself permission to lean on others for any type of help you might need, moral support, emotional, whatever - for those little things like help around the house, cooking, cleaning, yard work. Remember that you were on top of this and that means it's more likely that you caught this early. I agree with the taking a notebook for every doctor's appointment to make sure to write everything down. If you can, I would also take someone in with you to catch what you may not. Do you have someone who's good at researching to find answers for what you hear? Be sure to ask as many questions as you need to so that you understand what to expect & remember the doctors provide you with a service and they should make sure you are knowledgeable.

I say all these things because it's been 10 years since I heard I had ovarian cancer. Not at all expected. BUT as you have done, I listened to my body in the first place and knew something was wrong. First doctor said it was nothing, second one realized it was a cyst that should be removed. I scheduled surgery to remove the cyst. Took a friend to my doctor's appointment because she had a better understanding of physiology than me, DH would have been there if I'd asked but I don't like trouble people - don't worry about troubling people. The surgeon was very surprised that we had as many questions as we did; once he got over that surprise he was very good about explaining and giving me suggestions of where to do further research. He did say there was a minimal chance my cyst could be cancerous. Still, no bedside manner whatsoever when he told me as I was alone in the recovery room that the cyst looked cancerous and they removed everything including appendix just to be safe. Also wasn't fun to hear nurse outside door refer to me as ovarian cancer, wanted to scream about being a person. However, I was stage 1, phase borderline which is generally unheard of for ovarian cancer. Never had chemo or any other treatment except the surgery. It happens more often that you might think.

Believe, as I do, that you've caught this early enough.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    They have made such great strides in erradicating cancer from the body. It's still lethal in some cases but they're finding new ways to lower the mortality rate every day. It's super scary but you can do it! And before you know it this will all just be a distant memory. BIG HUGS to you and wishing for a speedy recovery.
  • Curved_Chica
    Options
    tl;dr...I know.

I have a history of some ugly white spots appearing on my tongue. They were first noticed by my dentist at a 6 month check-up in 2008 and then again by me in 2010. Biopsies were performed and and each time it was determined that it was just dysplasia. While it didn't seem like a big deal, my ENT removed the tissue from my tongue. It was not a pleasant experience to say the least.

Fast forward to May of this year and thing started to feel a little weird while we were in California on vacation. I decided to just let it go, see if it would go away, whatever. After about a week and a half, things weren't feeling better so I took a look in the mirror. I knew immediately that something was wrong. It looked completely different than the last 2 versions and was in a slightly different location. I was scared.

I scheduled an appointment with my ENT for Friday June 14. He did a very thorough exam of my tongue. I could tell he did not like what he was seeing and feeling. He sat down on his chair, expressed an enormous level of concern with what he saw, and then told me those words that I will never EVER forget:

“You have cancer.”

My mind started spinning out of control and I felt like one of the characters from Mortal Kombat was using my stomach as a speedbag. I think he just said I have cancer. That cannot be true…can it? This isn't supposed to happen to a 30 year old guy that doesn't smoke, doesn't chew, drinks in moderation, and is arguably in the best shape of his life, right? A thousand questions started flooding my mind. How did this happen? You know this just by LOOKING at it? What are the next steps? I know you are a smart doctor but there is a chance you could be wrong…right? Do I need chemo? Radiation? What do I tell my family? Am I going to die.....?

Two biopsies, CT scan, chest x-ray, blood work, an MRI, 2nd and 3rd opinions in hand, and 6 days later his original diagnosis was confirmed.

I have cancer.

Woah. I called my family and close friends and told them the news. I repeated the story about a dozen times over the following week or so but the words didn't really seem to sink in. That quickly changed during my 2nd appointment with my head and neck surgeon. We reviewed the MRI scan and the tumor was staring me right it the eyes. Talk about a reality check. This *kitten* just. Go. Real. My surgeon put his hand on my shoulder, looked me in the eyes, and said, "You're going to be okay. You're going to be okay."

The next steps are surgery to remove the tumor and the lymph nodes in my neck, skin graft/reconstruction on my tongue, a 7-14 day recovery in the hospital, an additional 2-3 week recovery at home. After review of the pathology results of the lymph nodes and tumor I'll know whether or not I need radiation. At this time it seems as though it will be necessary (according to my surgeon, but it's technically TBD) which means 6-6 1/2 weeks of treatment followed by ~4 weeks of recovery afterwards.

Right now it's the fear of the unknown that scares me the most. I have no idea what to expect coming out of surgery. I'll likely need a feeding tube from my noes to my stomach and it's possible that I'll need a temporary tube in my trachea depending on how swollen my mouth and throat are when he is finished working. These things scare me but I know that I am in the hands of incredibly talented and compassionate doctors and nurses.

I have no idea why I'm sharing this with a bunch of strangers in the interwebz. I'm not looking for pity and I'm not looking for sympathy. Maybe I'm just using this as a form of therapy.

If you've made it this far, thank you for taking the time to read my story.

One thing is certain: I'm ready to put up the fight of my life and come out on the other side as a stronger person.

So heavy....my heart aches for you as I think what you must be going through trying to grasp this news. Please stay strong, fight this...you have your age on your side. Biggest hugs and prayers for you. You're gonna be okay, I just know it :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Stay strong, you can get through this!
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I have close relatives who have gone through cancer treatments, and are out the other side. My words of adivce is to accept support from family and friends, therapists as needed. And remember, you have cancer but don't let it rule your life, it is not the be all and end all of your existence. You can do this. :flowerforyou:
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I truely believe in the power of prayer! I am sending prayers your way for a speedy and complete recovery! :flowerforyou:
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have no idea what to say. So I'll just wish you all the best. Stay strong.
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I wish I had magic words that could take away all the fear, anxiety, anger and a ton of other feelings you probably have. We learned just over a year ago that my dad had Cancer, it was a roller coaster of emotions. You seem to have a strong spirit, hope and a lot of fight, it's amazing how much those things will help you. I wish you all the luck in the world. Feel free to message me if you would like to talk.
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    You are brave for posting this, and I applaud you for reaching out during what must be a very difficult time for you. I'm sure the diagnosis was very tough for you to deal with, but now you are moving toward getting treatment. I wish you much health and healing. Stay strong....and on the days you are weak, allow your loved ones to lift you up.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    That totally sux- but I know one thing- you will win. You are on this website- you care enough to do what it takes and to do it right. You have already shown that you can master your health and win. You will beat cancer. No doubt about it.
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    if it helps, both my mum and sister have had cancer that was spotted in time and came through it. also a friend had breast cancer and she had to have her lymph nodes removed and one breast removed, had to go through chemo, lost all her hair. it was incredibly scary for her, but she came through it in the end with the love and support of her friends and family and the good care from the doctors. i'm sure you'll get through it and hopefully the experience will (in a strange way) have a positive effect on your outlook on life.
  • estherlion
    estherlion Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, be strong, do not give up! I'm so glad you posted this because there will be people praying for you, including me. I believe in miracles and healing. I don't know what your faith is, but I know from experience a very powerful two word prayer................Jesus Help. He'll be there and will give you a second (third, forth) chance.
  • musicrocks133
    musicrocks133 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    With your positive attitude everything will be alright. My thoughts and prayers to you.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    You seem to be very strong of spirit & ready to get thru the surgery. Thank The Lord your surgeon said you will be ok.Take him at his word.Surround yourself with friends & family to help you thru these hard times.

Being young & otherwise healthy will go a long ways in healing.Hugs & prayers. Pat C
  • theepervette
    theepervette Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    you WILL get through this (((hugs)))
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Seriously, you guys are the best. I am totally overwhelmed by the replies to this thread along with the messages that many of you have sent. From the bottom of my heart: Thank You.

#strongerthancancer
  • christou84
    christou84 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    God is good!! Nothing is impossible to Him!!