Everyone told me coconut oil was good for me

Options

Replies

• ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    So you want to be able to fry your mushrooms with something low fat and low calorie without too many chemicals? May I suggest unicorn oil? You can find it in the magical fantasy aisle of any grocery store. Either make it fit in your macros by dropping something else or give up the notion that your mushrooms *have* to be fried.
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    It just doesn't fit my macros. If your not going to answer the question, move along please.

*****y much?
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    All the oils and butter have roughly the same calorie and fat content. The only way to have an oil with fewer calories is to use less of it.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 60% of my calories as healthy fats from coconut oil, evoo, avocados, etc for the past two weeks, and I am steadily losing fat and feel great.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/high-fat-diet-healthy-safe/#axzz2YSgp6VKg

Whatever you do, try and avoid the Crisco, the coconut oil works much much much better with the biology of the human body.

Best wishes!
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Have you tried sweating the mushrooms in a saucepan along with a little butter, seasoning, water and cornflower rather than frying them?

Should taste pretty good and you should be able to use smaller quantities for the amount of mushrooms, hence less calorific.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    You want a low calorie fat that doesn't have a lot of "chemicals" in it? Good luck with that, we've been trying to find it for years.

Have you tried not putting any oil in there at all? I cook mushrooms in a dry pan and the moisture in the mushrooms makes them perfectly slimy. I don't eat them, but the people I cook them for like them just fine.

You could make your own cooking spray by mixing two tablespoons of whichever oil you like (canola, olive oil, etc) and enough water to make a cup of liquid and putting it in a clean spray bottle. It works as long as you shake it really well before using and drastically cuts down your amount of fat.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Unless you are just trolling, why do HAVE to fry your mushrooms? They are just as good raw.
  • thegoodner
    thegoodner Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    " I might as well be using butter or crisco vegetable oil. "

No. Coconut oil is much richer nutritionally than those things. And like the others said---it's a matter of "good" fats & "bad" fats. Also, 90 calories is a drop in a bucket of your overall calorie intake for the day. As long as you aren't globbing coconut oil on everything, it shouldn't be a calorie suck.

There are 0 calorie cooking sprays & whatever, if you REALLY are that scared of coconut oil, but those sprays are full of chemicals & don't have any nutritional value.

I don't need nutritional value, just something to fry my mushrooms in that is low fat and low calorie.

Yes I wont use the sprays, who knows what is in those.

You don't care about nutritional value, but won't use sprays? Get over the crap you've been told about fat. Coconut oil, and all healthy fats, are not the devil. I put coconut oil in my coffee, cook with it, get 60% of my calories from fat, and am losing about 3 pounds per week. Insulin. Insulin is what drives fat gain and loss.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    So you want to be able to fry your mushrooms with something low fat and low calorie without too many chemicals? May I suggest unicorn oil? You can find it in the magical fantasy aisle of any grocery store. Either make it fit in your macros by dropping something else or give up the notion that your mushrooms *have* to be fried.

bahahaahahahahahaha I was thinking the same thing ...

OP - if you want a low calorie solution how about your STOP frying stuff??????
  • Kacey11312
    Kacey11312 Posts: 55
    Options
    Grill those babies! Mmmm, Mmm. Put them in a foil packet with some onions and grill them until they are the desired tenderness you like. Boom.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Coconut Oil is considered a super food:

Read this: http://thriveforward.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/03-Get-More-Bang-Ref-Superfoods-Hall-of-Fame.pdf

"Coconut oil is rich in medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), a unique form of saturated fat that comes with several health benefits. Unlike other fats, your body digests medium-chain triglycerides nearly effortlessly. Saturated fats that do not contain MCTs simply become stored in your cells. MCTs, however, are utilized deftly by your liver. Within moments of being consumed, they are converted by your liver into energy!

Solid at room temperature, coconut oil is the only fat you’ll want to use for frying – that’s because it’s one of the only oils that can be heated to high temperatures without being converted into trans fats. And always be sure to choose virgin coconut oil instead of refined versions which may be partly or fully hydrogenated, thereby negating any positive health effects."

Also, where you need a tablespoon or more of another oil, you can "fry" or saute a good bit of veg in just a 1/2-1 tsp of coconut oil. I love cooking with coconut oi. Make sure to buy extra virgin.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options
    I've been eating 60% of my calories as healthy fats from coconut oil, evoo, avocados, etc for the past two weeks, and I am steadily losing fat and feel great.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/high-fat-diet-healthy-safe/#axzz2YSgp6VKg

Whatever you do, try and avoid the Crisco, the coconut oil works much much much better with the biology of the human body.

Best wishes!

Wow. See, I'm the opposite. My macros are 60 carbs, 30 protein, 10 fat. so I don't allow very much. Mostly just from meats.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    as far as calories all fats are created equal. If you don't want to use fat or water use a broth.
  • Companero1
    Companero1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you lot, but stating that coconut oil is good for you is not answering the question. I think she is worried about the cals. We all know nuts are good for you, but you have to keep to small amounts as the calaries are very high.
    I'd suggest having your mushrooms in whatever oil you prefer, but keeping the amount of oil low and perhaps don't have everyday of the week.
    I offen have stuff like that, but on those days I do a bit extra down the gym.

Good Luck
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I am sensing a troll in the thread.....
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Why don't you go stick your unicorn horn up your *kitten* and try being helpful instead of an a-hole.

The only person being an a-hole here is you, dear.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options
    " I might as well be using butter or crisco vegetable oil. "

No. Coconut oil is much richer nutritionally than those things. And like the others said---it's a matter of "good" fats & "bad" fats. Also, 90 calories is a drop in a bucket of your overall calorie intake for the day. As long as you aren't globbing coconut oil on everything, it shouldn't be a calorie suck.

There are 0 calorie cooking sprays & whatever, if you REALLY are that scared of coconut oil, but those sprays are full of chemicals & don't have any nutritional value.

I don't need nutritional value, just something to fry my mushrooms in that is low fat and low calorie.

Yes I wont use the sprays, who knows what is in those.

You don't care about nutritional value, but won't use sprays? Get over the crap you've been told about fat. Coconut oil, and all healthy fats, are not the devil. I put coconut oil in my coffee, cook with it, get 60% of my calories from fat, and am losing about 3 pounds per week. Insulin. Insulin is what drives fat gain and loss.

Im insulin resistant so my doctor has me on a very low fat diet. I can get no more than 10% of my calories from fat.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options

Why don't you go stick your unicorn horn up your *kitten* and try being helpful instead of an a-hole.

The only person being an a-hole here is you, dear.

Okay. Back to fantasy land honey.
  • MerlinWilliams
    MerlinWilliams Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It just doesn't fit my macros. If your not going to answer the question, move along please.

So their answers don't fit your preconceptions?

Doesn't fit your macros? You know you can change them, right?