Breastfeeding in Public....

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Give me one good reason to be topless in public if you are a woman?

Hmm, I'm gonna say...Cause I feel like it!

Survey says!

h25383338
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

give me a good reason to go topless in public if you are a man, and you will have your answer. duh.

If there are parents around with kids, would the parents cover the eyes of the child with a topless woman and feel that it is inappropriate or would the parents cover the eyes of the child with a topless man and feel that it is inappropriate?

I am pretty sure 9/10 that a topless woman would offend others more(especially woman).

I am not asking who is ignorant or would be offended. I have a child. I wouldn't cover his eyes. But then again, I have no problem with nudity and regularly visit co-ed clothing optional places.
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I feed my baby when and where she's hungry, and you can be really subtle without using a hooter hider. My kid has never had a bottle, so boob was the only option for a long time.

Also, in South Carolina, it's illegal to kick a woman out on any public place for breastfeeding.

No place should ever have the right to kick a woman out for nourishing her child. Seriously, the freaking kid is eating, why do we make that sexual?!

Also, I feel sorry for those who cannot tell the difference between breast feeding and stripping. It must be difficult to be that ignorant.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I breastfed all my babies in public.. it was simple they were hungry and needed to eat. I was discrete as I respect that it makes some people uncomfortable.. but at home not so much.

dittos. except to add that the normal state of my bewbages makes most women uncomfortable *wink* so there is no way I was gonna parade then in their swollen state. plus yeah respect. i knew people might get weird, in fact it just happened the other day to my friend. I invited my friend (who I knew is nursing, and flashy about it) out to eat. I chose my fave place regardless where the waiters all know husband and I and they get some pretty upscale people sometimes. As luck would have it two women seated next to us made a big deal of staring when junior needed a comfort pucker and friend was even sporting some kind of new holster scarf apron type modesty thing. The behavior of those ladies struck me as not only awkward and juvenile but further contrived. Bad form. Husband and I and kiddo kept talking like nothing was wrong and at some point kiddo became aware of the two ladies behavior and clearly considered that strange and turned to give them two a look as though they were from another planet. Haylarious. Waiters also had no problems at all and stayed on top of our table in their usual dutiful and seamless style.

ETA: i forgot to say that I of course had to correct kiddo's staring behavior by pulling him close and reminding him that "it's not polite to stare" lols.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

give me a good reason to go topless in public if you are a man, and you will have your answer. duh.

If there are parents around with kids, would the parents cover the eyes of the child with a topless woman and feel that it is inappropriate or would the parents cover the eyes of the child with a topless man and feel that it is inappropriate?

I am pretty sure 9/10 that a topless woman would offend others more(especially women).

0/10 would avoid at parties
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    even if women were allowed to be topless i can pretty much guarantee a lot of them would not go topless anyways so really it is not that big of a deal

again, true. I wouldn't go topless when I lived in NY unless I was in a place where I felt comfortable doing so, or if I was nursing and had that other purpose. Reason: people's reactions aren't fun.

But I think it should be legal, and am glad it is.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    They were made for feeding the babe. I fed my son till he was 9 months old, I didn't do it in public but that was my decision not for anyone else. But I think it's awesome for the mother and the baby and if anyone else has issues with it the the issues are theirs not the mothers.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    New, young mothers are going through enough adjusting to motherhood, recovering from birth, learning to breastfeed (nonstop), not sleeping at night, wildly shifting hormones.

They don't need jerks giving them a hard time about needing to breastfeed. And possibly having an issue, trying to cover up with a flailing baby learning to latch on (and sore nipples or infections). So, you might see the breast for 1 split second. Eeek, breasts!!

I guess people prefer screaming babies.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    even if women were allowed to be topless i can pretty much guarantee a lot of them would not go topless anyways so really it is not that big of a deal

I know I wouldn't go topless. That would just be painful if I ever needed to break into a jog for any reason.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    no its disgusting. i dont wanna see some chicks breast in public. I get the kid needs to eat and all that but go to the car or the bathroom or do it at home before and after. I mean that is a personal thing and the whole world doesn't wanna share that intimate moment with you and your kid. lol Plus you can breastfeed at home and just give the child baby formula in public or you can do the breast pump at home and bring that with for later and warm it under the sink at the store or restaurant or where ever. Cuz it's very distracting and people are going to stare whether you cover or not. but that's just my opinion.
  • Bel0602
    Bel0602 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I think its totally ok as long as you cover yourself properly. I wouldn't want to see someone boob while I'm eating my dinner in a restaurant lol
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    no its disgusting. i dont wanna see some chicks breast in public. I get the kid needs to eat and all that but go to the car or the bathroom or do it at home before and after. I mean that is a personal thing and the whole world doesn't wanna share that intimate moment with you and your kid. lol but that's just my opinion.

55569d1365197413-pt709-ejector-misaligned-anchorman_well_that_escalated_quickly_966.jpg
  • AmyJo527
    AmyJo527 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I breastfed both of my babies, and did it in public any time I needed to. It was a whole lot easier than pumping and packing bottles. Women should feel comfortable to feed their babies any time, anywhere.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    no its disgusting. i dont wanna see some chicks breast in public. I get the kid needs to eat and all that but go to the car or the bathroom or do it at home before and after. I mean that is a personal thing and the whole world doesn't wanna share that intimate moment with you and your kid. lol but that's just my opinion.

And the room is about to rumble...
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options

I am pretty sure 9/10 that a topless woman would offend others more(especially woman).

I am not asking who is ignorant or would be offended. I have a child. I wouldn't cover his eyes. But then again, I have no problem with nudity and regularly visit co-ed clothing optional places.

It is a valid opinion but I am trying to leave personal opinions out of it and look at it purely from outsiders perspective based on society and what is perceived as the norm.
  • fightthefatyankeefan
    Options
    I was recently breastfeeding in my car, with a cover and slightly tinted back windows. Well a car full of ignorant men pulled up and started making unnecessary comments. I was so embarrased I didn't even go back into the store I came out of. Now that I look back I should have walked right up to them and told them to mind their own business. I think it's a shame that I had to feel embarrased when I am nurishing my child and being as descreet as possible. I understand some people may be uncomfortable so I try to feed in my car when i'm out but I do wish that people understood it more and didn't make us women feel like we are doing something wrong. It's ok to looks at boobs when it's all about sex on billboards and tv but it's not okay when it's to provide food to a baby?? Society is so screwed up....
  • _KrisMarie_
    _KrisMarie_ Posts: 146
    Options
    As a former childbirth educator, homebirth mom, and breastfeeding mom, it's sad to me that any woman (or man for that matter) thinks breastfeeding is "weird," as a previous poster said. This is what your breasts were intended for, to feed your children. How can that be weird?

The problem is not enough people do it in public, so it's become this strange occurrence. I personally breastfed my daughter until she was 2 and half (the WHO recommends to at least age 2, and beyond as desired), though keep in mind, once they're past a year or year and a half, it's mostly night nursing or just a few times a day. And I never used blankets or covers, I just kept my shirt down enough and didn't flash the people around me, lol. It's not that difficult once you get the hang of it at home.

And I never was militant about it, giving other people dirty looks or anything like that. To each their own. Though breastfeeding is great for nutrition, bonding, and a host of other things, not everyone can pull it off (though I think most that want to can). So no judgment either way. My mom only breastfed me for 6 weeks and I think I turned out just fine. :wink:
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options

Oh, you don't want to see it? Easy solution: look away.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

What is disgusting about breasts? We usually have to pay good money for that kind of show
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Screen+Shot+2013-02-24+at+1.46.31+AM.png
This discussion has been closed.