What is/was your major in college?

Options

Replies

• KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Interior Design... worked in banking for 12-years. Go figure. ;)

Lol... mine is just as useful. I have a degree in Sociology with a emphasis in Social Welfare. I have been in banking for 11 years now. :-)

Haha, I've got a B.S. in Interior Design and worked in Banking (both as a teller and Personal Banker) for my first year and a half after graduating...couldn't find any other job. Now what I'm doing is a little more related to Interior Design - I do Space Planning for a company that sells Commercial Furniture (desks, panel systems, lobby furniture etc).
  • gillz89
    gillz89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Double Major in Computer Science and Computer Engineering, with a minor in Math and Electrical Engineering.

I started out as a pre-med biology major but decided that wasn't for me quickly. Switched to chemical engineering, took one chemistry class and said this is nothing like high school, it's no longer fun, I'm done. So I switched to business but was too bored and it was too easy. I just didn't enjoy it. Finally settled on computer science because I have always loved computers and technology and was into mobile development and was constantly thinking I could make that site or app so much better by doing x. I had to take a computer computer hardware classes (microcontrollers, computer architecture, etc), which I also enjoyed and doing a double major added one semester. Since I was already set back from changing so much I said why not and did both. Decided that I should make that my major and career as I really enjoyed it and it was fun for me. Now I have a full time IT programming job (doing support and development) and it's great. I get to do something I like and am constantly learning new technologies and teaching myself new languages to code in to keep up with the times.

Oh, and I hate math which is funny because computer programming is basically just math. I ended up with the math major because the amount of math needed for computer science and computer engineering was so much that I only had to take one more "math" class to get the minor. Math is in quotes because I took graph theory which was technically a computer science class (it was in the cs dept.) The electrical engineering one just came along since computer engineering is basically electrical.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Television/Radio Communications because I was really into theater but thought that wasn't "safe" enough. Ended up taking a marketing class my senior year and loved it so went into marketing after graduating. Got my masters a few years later in Integrated Marketing Communications, which has been much more useful.
  • calbadger
    calbadger Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I was an astrophysics major for two years, then switched to Poli Sci. I was also one of the senior editors on one of the school papers, so after graduation, I worked in journalism, political campaigns, the Legislature and the Executive branch doing both policy and PR.

Elections change things, so I have now been an IT Project Manager in Health Care for eleven years.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    BS in Geology with minor in Geography

(and beer went with all that... LOL)

:tongue:

'cause that's how earth scientists roll. :drinker:

For real! There is nothing like going out for beers with your professor/advisor/mentor.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    [qoute]When I look at the peripheral costs (books and such) and see the outrageous prices charged to these kids, it makes me sick. Charging a student $200+ for a book is unconscionable. It's a scam [/qoute]

Yup.. but I will tell you this... the college bookstores don't make that much on new books... they make it all in used books... the new book prices go straight to the publishers... and they sure aren't hurtin' because they get a crap ton from the State too for primary and secondary education as well. (I used to work in a college textbook store and I would hear it all the time when students would complain about the buyback price for their books).
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I guess you'd have to ask which time? First time through I had a B.M/B.M.Ed. (Bachelor of Music/Bachelor of Music Education). Vocal Performance and Music Education. I got out there, found out I really didn't like teaching, didn't have the fire in the belly to really go after a major voice career (I saw what it takes -- I have friends still performing at the Metropolitan Opera). So since I was fond of eating I went back and got another bachelor. This time a B.S. in Computer Science.

Funny. Back in the mid 1970s when I was in conservatory in Hartford (the insurance capital of the world), there really weren't computer science degrees available yet. And all the big companies were really starting to ramp up their I.S. departments (Information Systems). Where did they go? Not to the engineering and math schools. They came to the music schools. All across the country. They had noticed a strong proficiency of musicians to be good programmers. And almost all programmers I know today are very musically talented as well. Interesting correlation that still holds today.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    BS in Geology with minor in Geography

(and beer went with all that... LOL)

:tongue:

'cause that's how earth scientists roll. :drinker:

For real! There is nothing like going out for beers with your professor/advisor/mentor.

lol so true :)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Bachelor of Music in flute and theory and a Bachelor of Education in elementary education.

Surprise, surprise I teach elementary classroom music and band as well as perform
  • cloudj9
    cloudj9 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    game design.. but am thinking of going towards animation and vfx instead..
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Political Science. I teach history...so I sort of use my major in my career. :wink:
  • april27kelli
    april27kelli Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Oh I was not a very decisive girl in college. It was Early Childhood Education... then English... then Accounting... and then Business Administration, which I finally got a degree in.
  • FITIsTheNewPINK
    Options
    Majoring in Political Science, then moving on to law school for a J.D. :)
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Early Childhood Education. 20 years later, i'm a preK teacher and I still love my field.
  • sparkly86
    sparkly86 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Biology
  • xXK1LL3RxCH1CXx
    Options
    CP in Information Technology, AA in Business, and BS in Management. I'm about to start my MA in Intelligence Studies.
  • jpskitts7
    jpskitts7 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Major in Geography with a minor in Geology. I also have a Post-Bacc Certificate in GIS and am working part-time on my MGIS...Masters of Geographic Information Systems. Currently work in our county mapping department. GIS is an ever expanding field!!
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Major in History Minor in Econ... Yeah I don't use my degree
  • formongo
    formongo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have a BS in Physics and in Astronomy and also have a Math minor. I got those 15 years ago and I'm now one year into a MS Space Studies program. My thesis will likely be on asteroid characterization.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    The most exciting subject area ever...LOL! I'm a risk management and insurance major...