How is doing c25k? Lets support each other

Options

Replies

• juiletflt
    juiletflt Posts: 159
    Options
    I completed Week 5 day three yesterday! I was surprised at how "easy" it was. Don't get me wrong, it was still hard work, but my body got into a rhythm and just went. I tried not to look at the time and was actually shocked when the app said to walk.

My theory is that they have you jump from 8 to 20 to push you and to make you understand that it is easier once you get a rhythm going. You kind of hit a moment where it gets easier for the rest of the run, so I think that one you can do 8 minutes you can get to this moment. I've heard several people say that they don't like the walk breaks in week 6 after doing the 20 minute run.

For those of you starting out my one word of advice is go slower than you think... I failed the first several times because I went to fast. I just read a book that said beginners should do more of a shuffle. This time I am going slow and even doing the 20 minutes I have yet to huff and puff and am recovered quickly afterwards. Good luck!
  • LindaGTaylor
    LindaGTaylor Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I was on W3 but I sprang my left ankle and right knee in an accident. So i'll go back to W1 D1 in the morning.
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    OK beattie1, let's do this! :wink: It is hot here this week also. I went at 8am this morning before it got any hotter! Thank you for the encouragement julietflt, you made me feel better about this! :happy:
  • kellzi89
    kellzi89 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    W5D2 Today I'm actually looking forward to day 3. As scary as it seems if I can do that I will be super proud of myself and will have to go out and celebrate. If I don't do all 20 mins I think I'll still celebrate, 5 weeks ago I would never have thought I could run 2 mins let alone 20 mins straight with out falling in a heap on the floor!
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I finished week 3 day 3 today and I haven't been challenged that much. I'm looking forward to doing week 4 day 1, it definetaly looks challenging! i'm excited about it. I'm doing the program on the treadmill at home and we're also having crazy hot weather. The ac is a great help! The day everyone is talking about is approaching and I wonder how I'll do.
  • JayStu
    JayStu Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Well I was instructed to not run tonight. I went and donated blood and they told me to not run until tomorrow, so there's a heads up for anyone else that donates blood.
  • cindy326
    cindy326 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K Week 1 Day 1 today (1.39 miles), in 18:30, pace 13:17 min/mile, not sure if thats a good time or not but im a former smoker (10 months smoke free yaaay me) day 1 was easier than I thought it would be :)
  • LindaGTaylor
    LindaGTaylor Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K Week 1 Day 1 today (1.39 miles), in 18:30, pace 13:17 min/mile, not sure if thats a good time or not but im a former smoker (10 months smoke free yaaay me) day 1 was easier than I thought it would be :)

First congrats on being smoke free. Second congrats on completing W1 D1. As for your time, I am not watching my time. I just want to complete my program without Huffing and Puffing. But here's a way to look at it, when you drive in a car how long does it take you to drive a mile? I am sure your 13:17 min/mile is dang good....

Enjoy your running.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting! Also, that's a great time for W1D1. I'm on 10k training and running 2.5 miles at around a 13:00-13:30/mile pace so your interval pace is already matching my run-only pace. Feel proud of it.
  • cindy326
    Options
    thanks crista and linda....good to know im doing ok with my time! Looking forward to next time.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Well I was instructed to not run tonight. I went and donated blood and they told me to not run until tomorrow, so there's a heads up for anyone else that donates blood.

Maybe there's a chance that tomorrow will be cooler?
  • beattie1
    Options

Congrats on quitting smoking - it's the best thing you could do for your health. :smile:

You must be doing a different version of C25k to the one I'm on. I have a series of downloads that I play as I walk/ shuffle/ jog and the voice in my ear tells me when to walk & when to "run". The whole thing lasts 30 minutes +/- a couple of minutes. I can't see how you'd do it in 18.5 minutes. I'm not claiming any expertise here, but maybe you should aim to run/jog/shuffle a little longer?

Maybe your version goes by distance & mine goes by time spent walking & jogging?
  • cindy326
    Options
    im using rundouble..it took me a total of 30 minutes to complete the 8 intervals of jogging/walking. i think the 18.30 is just a stat of actual running time. over all with warm up and cool down was 28;30
  • helenlp83
    helenlp83 Posts: 67
    Options
    I did week 6 day 1 for the 5th time last night (repeating until I feel comfortable to move on to the next stage) my stats are overall pace 11.13min/mile overall distance 2.14 miles time 24 min fastest interval 09.29 min/miles. I have to say I felt like I was going to die after I did it!!! Hoping to move on to week 6 day 2 on Thursday
  • sophsw
    sophsw Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Week 4 Day 2 done. I started at Week4 because I found the earlier weeks not challenging enough for me because I could run for at least 10mins without a break before. I am actually enjoying it, I have been putting it off for a while. Just changed Gyms last week my current gym is so much better (facilities and the people) so looking forward to Day 3 on Wednesday.
  • beattie1
    Options
    im using rundouble..it took me a total of 30 minutes to complete the 8 intervals of jogging/walking. i think the 18.30 is just a stat of actual running time. over all with warm up and cool down was 28;30

Ah, OK, I think I get it now! Different technology gives different stats, is what it looks like.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    On to Week 2! I'll kick it off tomorrow at 5am.

Can't believe how great I felt this morning once I was done.

Running is awesome.
  • mbrtron
    mbrtron Posts: 45
    Options
    I just finished W6D1 yesterday and I can't believe I've come this far! I run on a treadmill at the gym and when I started was running at a 4.5 mile walk / 6.5 mile run. I made it through week 4 like that but dropped my speed to 4.2 miles an hour walking / 6 miles an hour running for W5D2 and made it through when I thought I wouldn't! I dropped to 5.7 mph running for my 20 minute run and made it through that, too! Yesterday was my 5/8/5 interval. I did the first 5 at 6 mph, the 8 at 5.7 mph and managed to complete the last 5 + 3 additional minutes at 6 mph. I made it almost 5k! Each week has been a challenge but I've gotten through. I can't believe I only have one run with intervals left.
  • lwainright
    Options
    When doing the C25K do you do multiple days in a row and then take a break or do you all do a workout then skip a day on and on.. Just trying not to burn out.

Thanks
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    It is recommended to do it every other day so that is what I have been doing. I go Mon, Wed, Fri...then I do strength training on Tues and Thurs.