Most ridiculous serving size?

Options

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    1/4c of granola.

Are you kidding me? Is this serving size for a hamster?

tumblr_m9qtvkIXlk1r6ozp9o1_500.gif
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    1/4c of granola.

Lol'd so hard.
  • middyfire
    middyfire Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've had this soup sitting on my desk at work for ages. It's one of those "single serv" microwavewable ones with a lid.

Serving size 250 ml, size of container 398ml

First of all, 398? Couldn't fit the extra 2?
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    1/10th of a muffin. Wtf
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    1/10th of a muffin. Wtf

I'm trying to picture that and I'm pretty sure that doesn't even come out to one bite.

Unless we're talking about one of those mega-muffins.
  • skjsbp
    skjsbp Posts: 8
    Options
    LOL. Love this one. xD

I wish peanut butter had a larger serving size, and fewer calories.

...Then again, I have a problem with anything that has multiple servings per container. I tend to just eat until it's gone. I used to be able to eat a whole big bag of potato chips without any "adverse effects". I wish I still could!
  • skjsbp
    skjsbp Posts: 8
    Options
    1/4c of granola.

Haha. That's perfect!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Bought Ezekiel muffins. Serving size is half a muffin. They're not even cut in 2 of anything. Really?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any cookie. Depending on brand serving size is anywhere from 3 cookies to just one single solitary cookie. WTF?

Also, does anyone remember back when Progresso Soup used to label their cans of soup as containing 2.2 servings? They revised that a few years back to say "Approximately 2 servings" but yes, they used to say 2.2 servings. .2 serving of a can of soup?
  • Francl27
    Options
    I buy those soups at wegmans occasionally for an easy lunch, and they always say that the container has 2.5 servings in it. I've yet to even get 2 servings out of it. As a matter of fact, I'm quite sure that you couldn't even fit 2 servings in the container!
  • favhrnstr
    favhrnstr Posts: 55
    Options
    These are hysterical! Especially the fractional cookies and the 200/263 ml drink.

Nature Valley bars are like Pop-Tarts, packed 2/pack with a serving size of 1. Even the commercial says "convenient 2-pack" and shows this beautiful couple splitting a pack. So apparently you have to be in a relationship to enjoy Nature Valley bars...
  • wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    Thanks everyone, these made me giggle!! :laugh:
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Because i did not read through the whole 19 pages of this thread, I am not sure if anyone actually said this..

Serving Sizes (in the US) are set by the government. The serving size for Chocolate is 40g (I think), so any bar or candy serving size is based on 40 grams. Which is WHY you get some really strange serving sizes. The Goverment is also moving towords a "Total Calories in Container" for those items that are Logically One serving (i.e. a Bottle of Soda, a Candy Bar, a Small bag of Chips)...
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Cereal is the one I can't do. I was one of those growing up that would use an old butter tub for a cereal bowl. 1 little cup as a serving size...can't do it.

I bought a box of Corn Flakes and found myself getting excited when it said a serving was 1 1/4 cups.
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Once I bought this really large chocolate bar and then the serving size was 10 pieces, O.O Which is half the bar.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Someone else may have already posted this (I didn't bother to read every single post), but...pizza. 1/6th of the pizza is usually a serving. Um...well...I don't know about anyone else, but when I cut pizza it first works to halves, then fourths, then eighths. Where the heck did sixths come from????
  • Francl27
    Options
    Because i did not read through the whole 19 pages of this thread, I am not sure if anyone actually said this..

Serving Sizes (in the US) are set by the government. The serving size for Chocolate is 40g (I think), so any bar or candy serving size is based on 40 grams. Which is WHY you get some really strange serving sizes. The Goverment is also moving towords a "Total Calories in Container" for those items that are Logically One serving (i.e. a Bottle of Soda, a Candy Bar, a Small bag of Chips)...

I didn't know about that. It makes sense... I guess. In a twisted sort of way.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Bought Ezekiel muffins. Serving size is half a muffin. They're not even cut in 2 of anything. Really?

The gluten free ones? Go with Glutino English Muffins. They taste better than regular english muffins. And the serving size is one muffin!
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodles. Much like the poptart debacle, except there's a one packet of seasoning, a solid block of fried noodly goodness, 2 servings, and no reasonable way to divide the servings and store the remainder. Am I supposed to make the entire block and split it with someone? Or am I supposed to break the block evenly and only cook half? Do I keep half in the fridge? Or throw it at the neighbor kids? I know most people don't use the entire seasoning packet (because, really, enough salt to kill off a village of snails), but couldn't you seal the center of the packet so there are two compartments, in the unlikely event I manage to divide the block of solid noodles? And maybe even include some cooking directions for a single serving?

Aw, **** it. I'll just eat both servings. Well played, Top Ramen, well played.
  • jackjackattck
    jackjackattck Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Healthy Choice microwave bowl of tomato soup. 130 calories per serving, and there are two servings in the small bowl! Who is going to microwave soup and only eat half? What do you do with the rest, throw it away? Not to mention who will be satisfied on only half a container of soup.

Personally, I believe these serving markings are just the advertising ploy to make you think you are eating something really low calorie when you aren't. Most people would eat the entire container of soup, so why not just advertise it as 260 calories per container?