Tattoos?

Replies

• This is when I start sounding like an old fart .....I just don't know what these young people are thinking that I see on the beach ! They are starting to look like Mayans ! Sure it looks great now in there 20's but we are not young forever !

I have one on my "left cheek" in 1987. Thank God I was thinking back then...for my husband told me that it looked like "road kill" .... you had to do a double take to make out what it is !!!

Before you get that sleeve, that vine down your whole side, tramp stamp, belly or on your face ! You need to THINK before you ink !!

Thing is when I'm 80, I'm REALLY not going to give a flying leap what they look like by then, lol. I love when people ask me that. Though, I never ever wanted the tramp stamp, belly, face or sleeves.... just places for me that I could cover for work.
  • araviel
    araviel Posts: 19
    Escloflowne - love it!

Got none, but will. Mind you, I've said that for 10+ years. Took me 5 years to sort out what motive, and another 5 to semi-decide on where to put it. Chances are I wont regret it! Once my PhD thesis is in, it'll be my gift to myself.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    I dislike them and think they are trashy looking. Don't hate others that have them, I just don't like them. Even though they have become so common today, I still tend to get a bad first impression when I see them. Right or wrong, it just tends to be my first reaction and I know that I'm not alone in that thought. I suppose overtime that will change, but when I was a staffing manager I had a tendency to not hire those that had tattoos that could be seen. I worked for a homecare company and no way were most little old ladies going to allow a tattooed person into their home. My husband worked with someone that had a lot of tattoos and he had to completely keep them covered at work. Let's just say that he was a sweaty mess in summer.

So you judge people on their looks, rather than their personalities? Wow.......I thought those days were over.

Everyone's immediate judgement of another is based on looks, we have nothing more to go on initially. That doesn't mean that my immediate impression can't be changed. And, no, I don't think that someone with tattoos is going to stab me, rob me, rape or murder me or anyone else. My sister, whom I love dearly, has tattoos as does a good friend of mine. The questions was posed, love or hate them, and I expressed my opinion. And while tattooing has become much more commonplace, it can take a while for older people (I'm 42 so I guess I'll have to include myself in that) to catch up with the times. Growing up, the only tattooed people I saw tended to be bikers,those that looked like they were in a gang, and vets. It was not common to see anyone else. I still don't think that I will ever like them but that's just me and my opinion.
  • I think this fits it best

The only difference between tattooed people and non tattooed people is...
    Tattooed people don't care if you're not tattooed

And as far as OH MY they will look like crap when I am old.Seriously if all I have to worry about is my old colorful wrinkles then I am truly blessed.:flowerforyou:
  • kjalty
    kjalty Posts: 6 Member
    I love tattoos and was taken for my first by my parents.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    I love tattoos and was taken for my first by my parents.

Me too. My dad took me to get my first and paid for it.
    And while tattooing has become much more commonplace, it can take a while for older people (I'm 42 so I guess I'll have to include myself in that) to catch up with the times. Growing up, the only tattooed people I saw tended to be bikers,those that looked like they were in a gang, and vets. It was not common to see anyone else. I still don't think that I will ever like them but that's just me and my opinion.

My dad will be 57 this year. He has two tattoos. One on each forearm. Wasn't a biker, wasn't in a gang and only became a vet 5 years ago.

Edited cause I couldn't spell.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    <----

I've got just the one on my back.

Symbol of friendship that 5 friends and I all have.
  • Benzo500
    Benzo500 Posts: 182 Member
    Love em!

I also love that they're a judgemental prick repellant. They tend to keep those a'holes who can't see beyond the exterior of a person, away... which I'm okay with. >=D
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    And as far as OH MY they will look like crap when I am old. Seriously if all I have to worry about is my old colorful wrinkles then I am truly blessed.:flowerforyou:

That's exactly how I feel. They are memories that have branded my body. Meanings from a time in my life that I wanted to permanently point out and say this tattoo means this or that. I have a turtle on my back. Why? My daughter was a fat baby and would stretch and then look like she went back in her shell. She's 10 now. Not that fat little baby anymore. Semper Anticus on my ribs...why? That's my dad's military motto. Always Forward. He's been my hero as long as I could remember. He's been my rock and my saving grace. The initials on my lower stomach was the last time I saw my children's biological father. Memorial day weekend and I saw him. We spent a couple days together like old friends. And then like mist in the night he was gone again. We started over, just me and the girls. More like our "coming out/girl power party".

I don't care what you think about my tattoos when I'm 60 or older. It just means I lived a good life...it means I actually lived and loved and lost and I have visual markers as a reminder. My tattoos are not for anyone else and they all have special meaning. Why do we put headstones on graves? As a reminder.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Love em!

I also love that they're a judgemental prick repellant. They tend to keep those a'holes who can't see beyond the exterior of a person, away... which I'm okay with. >=D

Irony.

I sees it.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    These are just a few of mine.....

k9v2aq.jpg
    25g53qf.jpg
    2rz6j9t.jpg
  • PGG19
    PGG19 Posts: 63 Member
    they're awesome
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I like tattoos, but I doubt I'll get any more than the 3 I have. I don't care if my guy has tats or not. My ex did, but my current fiance does not and I am kind of glad because he just has such a perfect body that it seems a shame to "mar" it (although that's not really how I view tattoos in general).

My fiance doesn't care one way or the other about tattoos. He doesn't mind mine, and has admitted that he is a little glad they're nothing really silly or grotesque (he's glad I don't have a lower back tat for example). Most of the women he's dated had tattoos but he isn't particularly into them.
  • rleath
    rleath Posts: 35 Member
    Love them! Just started my half sleeve Friday!
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Love them...have 4 already and planning a 5th one
  • nichi123
    nichi123 Posts: 244
    I love them. I have five....gonna have another in a few weeks. I don't have any huge ones that I can't cover up, I like them feminine. Love them on men too!
  • missveeoh
    missveeoh Posts: 90 Member
    I don't have any and I doubt I'll ever get them. I don't mind them on my significant other but they must have a nice memorable reason behind them? Idk if that makes sense but some people get them because of a dare or peer pressure. It's nice to hear background stories and meaning behind them.
  • ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    I love tattoos, have none myself yet but got a few planned. I think that the right ones on the right people looks very hot, love it.:love:
  • slimyouth
    slimyouth Posts: 52 Member
    I love them too, had my first at 15, im now 38 and still going through the pain, definatly gets worse as you get older! I have a full right sleeve, and currently working on my left, nearly done, also a leg piece that goes from knee to ankle, ouch! When i reach my goal weight i will start on chest and stomach. Either love em or hate em, but i think ive got the bug!