Let's Talk About Shirataki Noodles

Replies

• LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    BUMP!
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    For anyone in the Uk i have found these at Holland & Barrett, called: Zero Noodles - Gluten Free Organic Noodles.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=4632&prodid=5524&cid=601

:flowerforyou:
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Hi, Also you can order on Amazon.com or on their website www.miraclenoodle.com if there is not a store nearby..

last time i got these was from japancentre (uk) think they were about the cheapest at the time.

IMO only any good in ramen or noodle soup as they are pretty bland and rubbery - they also need a good rinse as the stink of fish :/
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,128 Member
    I have tried the regular ones and they are o.k. While in the grocery store yesterday, I found SPINACH ones! I want to try them, but have NO IDEA what type of sauce I should make for them. Any suggestions?
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    I want so badly to like them but I just don't. I've tried different sizes, different brands, cooking them longer, shorter, etc and I just can't get over the texture. It's strange because I'm usually not all that picky about texture or really anything but for some reason these rub me the wrong way.:frown:
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    I want so badly to like them but I just don't. I've tried different sizes, different brands, cooking them longer, shorter, etc and I just can't get over the texture. It's strange because I'm usually not all that picky about texture or really anything but for some reason these rub me the wrong way.:frown:

Here's one more chance to like them:

If you don't care for the texture try stir frying with other textures. Try broccoli, bean sprouts, bok choy, chicken, onion, bell pepper, egg, water chestnuts, baby corn, etc. That should provide enough diversion that you don't notice the texture.

One last option-- cook pasta, separately, and blend 50/50 with shirataki noodles. It will camouflage the texture and cut the calories in half.

-Chelle
  • Rocklinite
    Rocklinite Posts: 30 Member
    I wanted to like them. It was too good to be true. ;( The smell killed it for me and I didn't care for the taste. I prefer whole grain wheat pasta. I'm now using Polenta (tube) instead of pasta with my meat marinara sauces and that's amazing, filling and satisfying. Try it. :)
  • Just had these delivered from Holland and Barret in the UK

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=4972&prodid=5965&cid=586

200g pack £2.49 each but 2nd pack for a penny. so £1.25 for 200g they state 7 cals per 100g not Zero Took a risk and ordered quite a few. Better than I though and will start to experiment.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    bump to save :) Have a few packs I'm ready to start cookin!!
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    I wanted to like them. I really did. 30 calories for 1 1/3 cups is great. However, they were awful. Not just bad, but took one bite and threw away my dinner awful.

For me consistency was the big issue. They are not al dente, but al rubbery. I'm going to stick with the real thing and just eat much less of it. YMMV.
  • Wingg
    Wingg Posts: 22
    I've tried the noodles. I didn't do mic to it. I only rinse it under cold water, then boiled it a little to get rid of the smell. I ate it with Korean sauce that I bought and it turn out wonderful! Maybe I've been reading the negative things about the noodles that I thought of it to be very awful tasting but I LOVE IT. Well, it's personal reference. Unlike any others, I actually like its texture because it's not like anything that I've tasted before. It's really interesting!
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    I just want to say that I know this post is old, but I just tried these. My stomach just couldn't handle them. I tried frying them and everything and I just... I just can't. LOL
  • Old post but I wanted to give my review. Tried them this weekend and did the dry frying method. Topped them off with my world famous meat sauce. The result.....eh.... these things are bizarre. If you rinse them well and dry fry them, they have absolutely zero flavor.... which is odd.... even things you might have previously thought were "tasteless" can't compete with these.... They don't seem quite "real." The texture and consistency will not be for everyone.... even after frying them for what seemed like forever.... they were quite springy and rubbery to the bite. I had the angel hair variety and I recommend cutting them down into much smaller lengths. It was an interesting meal.... Personally, I had no issue and could eat them again.... but every time I looked at the look on my wife's face, I would burst out laughing.... she was a trooper and said she'd give it another whirl if they were cut down... but to say she enjoyed them would be a stretch. So bottom line.... rinse them well, dry fry the heck out of them, cut them into small lengths, (slurping one of these up Lady and the Tramp style is not a treat) and hide them in some sort of powerful sauce.
  • eileen7316
    eileen7316 Posts: 72 Member
    They don't seem quite "real." The texture and consistency will not be for everyone.... even after frying them for what seemed like forever.... they were quite springy and rubbery to the bite.

^ This. They looked, tasted and felt like how eating a bowl of rubber bands.
  • sgoldrupdouglas
    sgoldrupdouglas Posts: 6 Member
    I cook them like you do Ramen Noodles . I rinse them and then cut them and add them to my stir-fry or Pasta sauce .I make a Ragu{ not the caned sauce } My own recipe and add them to it,t adds the affect of having pasta with out havign the carbs. I will post my Ragu recipe later.
  • Try the noodles in soups and curry. The texture isn't so aparent.
  • You should try them in not a "pure" pasta form. You'll be dissappointed if the noodles are the main part of your dish. Try them in a stirfry where they are just 1 ingredient in many. I make a stirfry with the sweet kale salad mix from Costco (1 whole bag) 1 whole onion, several cloves of garlic, ginger (to taste), some sort of teriyaki or soy sauce or Yoshida's, and whole bag of noodles (I prefer the flat noodles). This makes the noodle's texture less noticable. I've fed this to my step-father and husband and they were unaware that the noodles were not the regular rice noodles we use.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Bump
  • emd2570
    emd2570 Posts: 126 Member
    Im in ny - they sell in Walmart , shoprite and stop and shop- where the tofu is - mine never come out crunchy- the sauce usually doesn't stay on it( if I use tomato sauce) sometimes I use garlic and oil and lots of seasoning - mrs dash usually
  • emd2570
    emd2570 Posts: 126 Member
    I also added them to soup - I made a miso soup but I wld add it to any soup -