Not Hating, Why Do Women Struggle With The Gym?

Options

Replies

• ellebrosseau
    ellebrosseau Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I personally don't hate the gym... I just prefer getting exercise elsewhere. I live in Maine and still run outside in the winter (talk about treacherous conditions, man) because I don't like working out inside, and summer runs are awesome. A treadmill just isn't the same as a run on a trail or through a park. Plus, I don't know much about weightlifting- so no point in going to the gym for that. All my abs stuff I can do at home too. :)
  • Blitz_40
    Blitz_40 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't like the gym because I don't like to be around people in the evenings after spending the entire day dealing with them. I tend to be a little anti-social & stingy with my time anyway. I have an exercise room that I have outfitted over the years. I hate earbuds and I can blast the music as loud as I want. I can park in my own driveway and since it's in my house I have no excuses not to do it.
    Bonus, as my children have grown into teens, I gave them the key code & added things specifically for them. My oldest son loves the punching bag, my youngest the rebounder, all of them use the universal machine. They go there to relieve boredom and work off stress just like I do. Stuck on that essay? Go pound the bag for a while until you get your head around it, son.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I am NOT hating. Just asking because this really interests me. IMO it's because they think it's all about running and loosing weight, and it's tied even deeper to their self-image than with men. Not to mention that women are not encouraged to be physically strong/able like men are.

I know many, many women like the gym, but I'm making a general statement here.

Discuss.

My question, why do so many women do those inner thigh leg machine in their tight little workout outfits?

Why not?
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    IMO it's because they think it's all about running and loosing weight, and it's tied even deeper to their self-image than with men. Not to mention that women are not encouraged to be physically strong/able like men are.

There are men that think losing weight is all about running and who fear getting bulky (or even gaining any muscle at all!). Different people have different goals and they aren't all tied to gender expectations.

I just don't like exercise much and it doesn't seem worth it when you look at how long it takes me to burn off a small amount of calories. If I have to work out an hour to burn off a cookie I'd rather just not eat it and spend my time doing something I enjoy instead. So all I do is bike for transportation.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

My question, why do so many women do those inner thigh leg machine in their tight little workout outfits?

I do the inner thigh machine with sweat pants on, so I can't relate. :smile:
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I don't like the gym because I don't like to be around people in the evenings after spending the entire day dealing with them. I tend to be a little anti-social & stingy with my time anyway. I have an exercise room that I have outfitted over the years. I hate earbuds and I can blast the music as loud as I want. I can park in my own driveway and since it's in my house I have no excuses not to do it.
    Bonus, as my children have grown into teens, I gave them the key code & added things specifically for them. My oldest son loves the punching bag, my youngest the rebounder, all of them use the universal machine. They go there to relieve boredom and work off stress just like I do. Stuck on that essay? Go pound the bag for a while until you get your head around it, son.

Can I come over? :tongue:
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Lol I wish I could! I tried signing up for this coaching program they have at my gym, but all the girl did was point me to a machine and says "Ok, just do this. 3 sets of 12" and then walks away, comes back and does the same thing for another machine. And it is always the same machines everytime and I am never sore. I wanted to use the free weights and do things using my body weight because the machines and me don't get along but she said that "beginners should stay on machines". Soo after 4 weeks of machines and the same thing each time I got fed up. And now I'm nervous to go back in there because I haven't been in so long.

well if you are ever in NJ- come visit me- I shall take you to ze gym and teach you proper lifting. :D we will have fun. and then you will drop weights on your feet because you laugh to much- which is why people refuse to lift with me.

If you are paying for a coaching program- insist on someone to teach you BARBELL training. Seriously. If you are paying for it- you better be getting what you want out of it.

Machines are great for injuries or just getting started- but they are limited- and given the right amount of time and some situational awareness- anyone can figure out how they work. BB training can be learned via internet but coaching is better- but if you are paying for something- get what you want- tell the sales manager you don't appreciate it- because anyone can EVENTUALLY figure out how to use a machine.

Seriously- all of you if given that machine- in your own home- you would be able to figure it out- you don't because it's nerve wrackign doing it in front of strangers- which I understand- but paying someone to put you on it and tell you reps then walk away is waste of your money and time. Insist on proper coaching with free weights and bar bells. Seriously. You don't need someone to slap you on a machine.

I agree! I Love my first PT and we are still good friends but that is mainly what she did. I learned alot about the machines and did lose weight as a cardio bunny. It didn't stay off. She understood her limitations and had me begin working out with the other PT. She said I needed to step up my games. He is a strength coach. He has taught me soo much! She did too because when I started, I needed the cardio and the machines. Now, I can't wait to see how much more I can lift from last week! It is soo empowering to compete with yourself!

I have family in Jersey so I may look you up! Know any Milevois?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    well if you are ever in NJ- come visit me- I shall take you to ze gym and teach you proper lifting. :D we will have fun. and then you will drop weights on your feet because you laugh to much- which is why people refuse to lift with me.

If you are paying for a coaching program- insist on someone to teach you BARBELL training. Seriously. If you are paying for it- you better be getting what you want out of it.

Machines are great for injuries or just getting started- but they are limited- and given the right amount of time and some situational awareness- anyone can figure out how they work. BB training can be learned via internet but coaching is better- but if you are paying for something- get what you want- tell the sales manager you don't appreciate it- because anyone can EVENTUALLY figure out how to use a machine.

Seriously- all of you if given that machine- in your own home- you would be able to figure it out- you don't because it's nerve wrackign doing it in front of strangers- which I understand- but paying someone to put you on it and tell you reps then walk away is waste of your money and time. Insist on proper coaching with free weights and bar bells. Seriously. You don't need someone to slap you on a machine.

I agree! I Love my first PT and we are still good friends but that is mainly what she did. I learned alot about the machines and did lose weight as a cardio bunny. It didn't stay off. She understood her limitations and had me begin working out with the other PT. She said I needed to step up my games. He is a strength coach. He has taught me soo much! She did too because when I started, I needed the cardio and the machines. Now, I can't wait to see how much more I can lift from last week! It is soo empowering to compete with yourself!

I have family in Jersey so I may look you up! Know any Milevois?
    [/quote]

I'm glad you had good success!!! :) That's awesome.

Unfortunately no I don't- sounds like it would be a north thing- I'm around Philly to be honest- bu tif I run into one- I'll make sure I make an awkward comment about maybe meeting family on MFP with the same name :D cause you know- being awkward is what makes social settings worth the effort. GIGGLE GIGGLE.
  • MT30_backbone
    Options
    When you come to a gym, and you're not in shape, you get dissed a lot.
    People sneer at you, class leaders tell you you should lose weight before you show up, etc.
    Doesn't make for a conducive environment for workouts.
    They just want your money anyway, and don't give a crap about you.
    I've used gyms when in shape and not in shape, so I know the dif.

I think it really depends on the gym that you go to. Each gym has a different feel to it for everybody. You have to find one that you feel best at if you choose to go to a gym at all. I feel really comfortable at my gym being at least 50 lbs overweight in the classes. That being said, I haven't tried doing too much on the floor mainly because I am at a loss as to what to do. I don't want to look like I don't have some sort of routine... even though I don't! lol I think working with a trainer or finding a regimen to try to follow would be beneficial.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    But... weights are not the only things found in a gym, correct? I don't lift heavy but I spend a lot of time in the gym. I also agree with the posters that said women do attend the gym in as large of numbers as the gentlemen. Just check out our classes and all the posts asking why women like Zumba and men don't??

To be honest, I'm one of the brainwashed ones because I simply don't understand the point of being "strong" if not to look good. Growing up, I carried my 25L water keg from the borehole to my dorm about an eighth of a mile away so I do have basic strength to do day to day activities without picking up heavy round metal stuff. Just doesn't sound like a good time to me, is all.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Love the gym. Love to workout.

But I will always have that self concious side that thinks people are looking at me, talking about me, and judging me.

Thats just who I am.

:smile:
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Don't know what you mean by struggle....I've never seen a woman struggle at the gym, liking different exercise to you doesn't mean they struggle. I could outrun any one of the men at my old gym, and they could out lift me
  • elliepearsonn
    Options
    I'm thinking of joining the gym and I will only be using the weight training section but im nervous because its covered in boys doing bicep curls with too tight teeshirts on and fake tans and I want to train hard and dirty but im worried ill get bullied or feel like I shouldnt be there. I'd rather go to Defranco gym than this overly expensive thing.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of joining the gym and I will only be using the weight training section but im nervous because its covered in boys doing bicep curls with too tight teeshirts on and fake tans and I want to train hard and dirty but im worried ill get bullied or feel like I shouldnt be there. I'd rather go to Defranco gym than this overly expensive thing.

You pay to be there too.

no one hassels me- and I ONLY train over there. We have cardio up top- machines on the right and free weights on the left.

I kick boys off my squat rack if I'm using it and I step away and they think it's theirs- I take weights off the rack 2 inches from some idtio who MUST curl in front of the rack. You pay to use it- you may use it.

going at 5 PM is hard- EVERYONE is there- but the thing is- the gym is a culture. Once you get past that first couple of visits- and you are there a lot- you start seeing the same people- they see you- you see them it's normal. They know you work hard- and that's it. Don't need to make friends- but you can be friendly.

just go in off peak hours- you'll be fine.
  • hopwoods1
    hopwoods1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Well my gym isn't too bad. It's quite small, especially the free weights area so you can end up quite close to others.
    Have I felt intimidated, sure I have. As a beginner it's to be expected, but so far no one has said anything or given me dodgy looks.
    They may be thinking 'Look at that fat plonker, who does he think he is?' but they don't say it.

Maybe its because it's a British gym, and we are often reluctant to talk to strangers, too polite etc, but in this case that could be a good thing.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I have just started at a new gym and am a bit intimidated as it is bigger and lots more/ different equipment. But I tell myself I was like that starting at my old gym and I got used to it, felt like home after a year or so...ho hum
  • cassidypearce1
    Options
    I hear ya! I am not a fan of the gym either and never will be. I just don't like to exercise with other people around nor do I like to share sweat on the machines. I just feel like some gyms are just a big parade for gym rats and people who like attention. I am a loner and prefer to exercise alone. I like home videos or working out outside or at fun venues like rock climbing or swimming. Plus if I go somewhere fun to exercise it's easy to drag the kiddos along and keep them entertained. They especially love the Phoenix Rock Gym for that very reason. I admire you for sticking with it and giving the gym a try but if after a few months you still aren't into it, don't be afraid to find a different method to exercise. Exercise is all about what's right for you individually.
  • trainerbarb
    Options
    I think a very large part of it is that women are afraid that they will be judged as somehow "imperfect" --- too fat, too thin, to muscular, too this, not enough that.... ironically, because THEY ARE SO HARSHLY JUDGMENTAL of others. (Come on now, tell the truth to yourself, you KNOW you've got that little voice in your head that says things like "look at that fatso...").

And then you get to my age and it doesn't matter any more. :-D

Trainerbarb
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    AEA Certified Aquatics Professional
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I hate gym, can't last for a session. Firstly, I have never seen the scale move after weight training, I look better but that's it. Secondly, I prefer running outside, hate the treadmill. Lastly, I feel so sore the next day and sometimes my knee gets injured.