40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Good morning all you cool kids out there! It is wet and rainy here today so I ended up doing 30D shed dvd. It's a good work out. Definitely feel like I've done something!!

Had a great time last night. My daughter had an appointment and then she and her hubby went out for dinner so guess who hung out with Grammy and PawPaw?! My grandson, Jake! We had so much fun! He's so silly and is loving my cat lately and wants to chase her around the house in his walker!! Too Funny!

Have a great day everyone!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Good Morning.

Had a fun evening. Was invited to a family dinner / birthday party. They live on the beach.
    We also had the young man that is running across Canada dressed as the superhero Flash join us. Our local yoga instructor had offered to do some yoga with him, so she came out to do it on the beach. What we didn't take into account was the dogs. They family has 3 dogs and my son and family had one. Whenever those 4 dogs get together, it is WILD. So, there we all were, including my granddaughter, and the superhero dressed in his costume sitting on yoga matts in the sand doing our yoga and 4 dogs going crazy around us. Needless to say it was an experience like none any of us had ever experienced. :laugh:
    When it was over, the superhero said, "that was the most bizarre experience I've ever had". LOL. That goes for all of us!

Stayed away from all the fattening stuff and just ate my vegan soup that I brought along. Today is day 20 of 21 of the reset! I can do this! I do know that vegan is not for me. It is too much work. I have enjoyed some of the recipes that I've tried and would probably continue to make them, but as for a lifestyle change....:noway:

The young man left this morning to continue on his journey across country. There were a few of us runners that joined him as he left town. It was so foggy. I was worried about him...kept telling him to be careful. The next stretch of highway is one of the most dangerous stretches of the Trans Canada. Prayers and positive thoughts for this inspirational young man please! :flowerforyou:

https://www.youtube.com/thejamiemc86

The link has several of his videos of both is cycle from Thailand to England and now his run across Canada. There are some very touching, funny, moments in those videos.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,971 Member
    Options
    What a surreal experience, sdereski!! You'll remember that one for a long time to come!

KellySue - hope your taking TONS of pics of grandbaby at this age....too cute. Include mom/dad in the photos from time-to-time, because it's tough, as the mom/dad, to remember to PUT YOURSELF in the photo!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I learn TONS from my kids:

My kids are with their Dad (my husband) getting their spirometry tests, etc. (asthma updates).

My daughter is one month away from age 11:
    102.8 lbs.
    144 cm.

My son just turned 12:
    77.8 lbs.
    146 cm.

THAT IS 25 LBS. of difference, in their weight, and they are virtually the same height.

My daughter TOTALLY looks like a "perogie" and we did manage to "maintain" her weight this summer. (All the research I could find says not to bother trying to REDUCE a kids' weight, but trying to "maintain" that kids' weight, through a number of growth years, is a good idea....).

My son TOTALLY looks like a "string bean" and we are managing to "increase" his weight (which is necessary - he's had full adrenal suppression for sometime - as in years - and is BEHIND on his growth).

But, it's pretty hard to do what we're doing. People comment on my daughter's girth quite regularly. People comment on my son's lack-of-girth quite regularly. Everyday is an exercise in us NOT CARING what the hell people think, say, or do.

Just what we think, say, and do.

We're doing the right things. Trying to achieve the right results. Unsure if we'll get there, but we can only affect INPUTS. Their bodies will determine OUTPUTS.

Remember this, peeps, as you wander the world of nutrition/fitness. Be as DILIGENT as you can, about the INPUTS (i.e. your calories in, your exercise expenditures, your necessary 8-hours sleep, your appropriate management of stress, etc.). And, leave the OUTPUTS to the universe.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options

My daughter is one month away from age 11:
    102.8 lbs.
    144 cm.

Beeps- just wanted to put some perspective on your daughter. When my younger daughter was 11 she was 5' 9" and weighed 189lbs. She was a chunk to put it lightly. Once she started the 7th grade she became more active and played basketball and did track. She slimmed down in no time. We didn't change anything in her diet- we tried to encourage her not to eat in the middle of the night and things like that, but no big changes. Most of it occurred from her increasing her physical activity and "boys" made a bit of a difference too! She was about 5' 11" when she graduated high school and weighed around 160. She was very lean and has continued with that now. She turned 28 this year and hasn't grown any more but has managed to keep her weight fairly consistent. She works out a lot and loves to run- a lot!!! Your daughter will most likely grow out of the "pudgy" stage.
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Way to go with your kids Beeps! You and hubby are doing a great job! My boys are so skinny lol but very active, and they do eat well. I just know in another year or so I will be putting a cot in the kitchen because it will be non stop eating! lol

I am so glad you get to have so much fun with your grandson Kelly!

Reminds me-- I put an up date on my blog re my father in law. My hubby is on a plane to try to fix some issues that have risen! Totally frustrating! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/princessofredrock/view/learning-to-deal-with-it-553555

I am taking my frustrations for a hike! lol

Have a great day cool kids! ; )
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I totally get what you're saying, KellySue - and I cannot emphasize enough that we aren't "panicking"....but, my daughter is already VERY ACTIVE, and has been her whole life. She plays ice hockey, she dances, she swims - all on regularly-scheduled dates.

In the past, she has also done tae kwon do (2 x per week), outdoor soccer, gymnastics and tumbling....but it has been 2 years since those activities ceased.

Her upcoming school year will include:

a) ice hockey
    b) volleyball
    c) outdoor running

We are eliminating (scheduled) dance and (scheduled) swimming - although she'll obviously *do* these things, from time-to-time, for fun.

Adding activity isn't going to be my daughter's solution - she absolutely will have to control her calories! Which is fine....it took ONE "friend" calling her "fat" last year for her to whip around and say, "help me, mom" - which is what we'd been waiting for. Some indication, from her, that she was "dissatisfied" - because, in the end, if SHE wasn't "dissatisfied" and her doctor's weren't "worried" about her weight, then I really wanted her to get through puberty before trying to figure it out.

Instead, here we sit, with an unhappy little girl, who wants to make healthy changes, and dr's who want us to only "maintain" her weight (and not try to force her to lose weight), and who-knows-when puberty will show up!

2 kids - same dietary choices - but son can't seem to put weight on and daughter can't seem to take weight off. It's 100% NUTS, but it's exactly what is happening in our house!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I was always skinny and always tiny, so she doesn't have my growth pattern, at all.

I didn't hit puberty until age 15 and I'm now 5'9" tall. I've never been overweight. So, I have zero of the struggles she already has. I do spend quite a bit of time with my bff from law school because she was an overweight child and the way her (divorced) parents raised her has marked her, terribly, in her life....so, whatever they "did", is the stuff I really DON'T want to do with my daughter!!

The good news is, for the most part, my daughter is outgoing, social, happy, active, and without-a-care-in-the-world. If this attitude stays, it's all good. But, counselors, too, have warned to watch for changes in her "attitude" or "personality", because that's a sign that she is in a bit deeper than what she presents to the world.

anyway, one-day-at-a-time, like everything. We just take it one-day-at-a-time!
  • sdereski
    Options
    Beeps, I am trying to visualize what your daughter would look like and can't really picture a chubby little girl. I was probably 207cm and weighed 140lbs at age 11. By age 13 I had grown a couple of inches taller and lost 5lbs and suddenly I was looking pretty good, but it really wasn't until I was 14 that I really cared about my weight and how I looked. As Kelly Sue said, that is when boys became important.
    She certainly has a lot of growing yet to do, and when she does, it will make all the difference in the world to her shape.
    Maintaining her weight throughout the summer is a huge success. In my opinion you and your husband are doing everything right.
    And as long as she remains the delightful girl she sounds like, it's all good.

Last day of my reset. Holding steady at a 10lb loss. Was really hoping I'd drop a couple more lbs, but I'll keep working at it.
    Am finally able to wear some of my summer clothes that hung in the closet untouched until this week.

Will also be able to start working out regularly again...I think that has been the biggest challenge - not being able to work out!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Thanks for all the support! It means a lot, it really does....

Yay, sdereski, for fitting into clothes and being able to "shop your closet" again! That should feel REALLY GOOD!

I won't be on a scale for another month, so have no idea how I'm doing, how my vacation might have affected stuff (other than some trouble buttoning capris - but I'm wearing them, today, and they're buttoning fine, again!), etc.

I am doing a calorie-deficit challenge, though, and have managed well this week - want that to continue.

My 1-year-anniversary at Venus is coming up later September, and I'd live to be within 5 lbs of "goal" at that point, frankly....so, am kind of hoping to drop 3- to 5- lbs by that later September date!
  • FloraDelirus
    FloraDelirus Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just slightly off topic about kids:.... since I don't have any (ah well)

Last night I was going through my cupboards, and came across the most evil thing in the world - the sugar jar! One of my most terrible weaknesses in the world is sugar. Don't like tea without sugar in it, heck, I used to put butter on bread and sprinkle sugar on it and make it a treat.

But I was actually searching for that evil thing for a reason and it wasn't for my consuption. I was out to make Hummingbird Food.

Then my brain started thinking about it and I started giggling.

Just let the little spazzes have the sugar, I can live without it. It's more fun to watch them at the feeders than it is for me to try and work off the extra calories I get by eating it myself.

Just my thought for the day that made me smile.
  • princessofredrock
    Options
    Yes flora I like to watch them sword fight too! lol I learned the hard way how many feeders to put up per acre and not to fee the Orioles! They are beautiful, but they tear the feeders apart because they are so big!

You are doing great work Beeps! My mom has always been thin, and I always had trouble keeping weight off! Took me a long time to get over being told " if you ordered it you must eat it, or if you put it on your plate you have to eat it all! " when I was a kid! I love measuring and portioning my meals! lol I also am able to tell myself that it's ok not to clean my plate! Once I am full I am done! That is a huge deal for me! ; )

I heard from my hubby today! dad in law is doing great! I think he was so angry because in his mind he was fine and hubby verifies his clarity of thinking is great! But my mom and sis in law kept pushing him and saying things that upset him! Hubby said dad got mad and yelled at him so my hubby gave it right back to him! He then immediately calmed down and was rational and happy ole pappo again! I guess they recorded the conversation and his agreement to continue treatment and that the med is helping him, so if he gets off track they can play it back for him to remind him of what he agreed to! Whew short term memory loss, anxiety and a bad temper do not go well together! So for now things should be ok!

I am bettering my zombie run times and strength training on my upper body! Did 4 chin ups today! woo hoo! Won't be long till I am keeping up with my kids and then making them chase me! ; )

Keep it rocking everybody and make it a great day!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Wow, princessofred - 4 chin-ups is NO JOKE. I cannot do 1!

Sounds like your husband has a good handle on the f-i-l sitch.
  • sdereski
    Options
    Chelle, 4 chin ups is amazing! I am not able to do one either. Never have.

Glad to hear things are settling down with your FIL. Dementia is a terrible disease. Lost my brother to a dementia related illness at 48 and he too went through all those emotions. It's very difficult on family members.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Wow, sdereski, that's a sad read about your brother....

I did a bodyweight routine from Bret C. last night after work. I could only get through 2 sets....my hips were ON FIRE. Poop. I took some tylenol almost right after....good thing, because THEN TOM ARRIVED!!

And, I'm now fasting (no food OR water) because my eye surgery is this afternoon. The fasting isn't bothering me....but, for some reason, I'm crampy with TOM, and the inability to ingest meds is REALLY bothering me.

:sad:
  • sdereski
    Options
    Good luck with your eye surgery Beeps. Is it Lasiks? Aww. you are going to feel yucky all day - from TOM and surgery.

It's werid how symptoms change as we get older when we get our TOM. As I got older, I would get achy legs and itchy breasts. I know TMI, but it's true. Never used to get any pain or cramps before that, but then.....oh and I would get the dropsies.
  • sdereski
    Options
    forgot to mention that my 21 day reset is complete.

I tried shakeology this morning instead of my usual protein shake and I don't like it! A friend of mine sent me some samples (I think she is trying to get me on board) but no way. It's awful. :tongue:

I knwo so many people rave about how great it tastes. They lie. :laugh:
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    forgot to mention that my 21 day reset is complete.

I tried shakeology this morning instead of my usual protein shake and I don't like it! A friend of mine sent me some samples (I think she is trying to get me on board) but no way. It's awful. :tongue:

I knwo so many people rave about how great it tastes. They lie. :laugh:

Honestly i have read tons about shakeology and its more of a fad. Even if i could afford to get it i stick with my good ole whey protein powder.
  • princessofredrock
    Options
    Thanks! Yes things have been really hard on mom in law but she was thanking me over and over last night on the ph for letting hubby come and fix things!

Good luck with the eye surgery Beeps!

Nice new pic James!

Well 3 months here! I posted before and now pics on my blog!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/princessofredrock/view/3-month-progress-with-pics-571596

Have a great day friends! We are off to the Dairy and to the Whole foods store!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    sdereski - not lasik - I'm having a cataract removed (left eye today - right eye next Thursday). I'm pretty amazed that I'm not THIRSTY. The "hunger" part I wasn't worried about (I don't eat before noon, anyway...), but I figured the only reason I can fast all morning WAS BECAUSE of all the water/coffee I ingest. Apparently not....

Anyway, I'm TOTALLY crampy and it is a b*tch that I can't down an ibuprofen or a tylenol right now....

Off to look at princessofred's blog...