Sugar addiction....

Replies

• JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Snowflake in the sense that I have a legitimate medical reason for greatly reducing to the point of almost eliminating my sugar intake, at least until I'm normal again.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Snowflake in the sense that I have a legitimate medical reason for greatly reducing to the point of almost eliminating my sugar intake, at least until I'm normal again.

Normally, I like being a standout, too. But this I would not enjoy.
  • kaykaylyn
    kaykaylyn Posts: 84 Member
    When did you finally realize you had a problem?

When it started affecting your work, when you sold your TV for a sugar cube, or when you gave a bj for a sugar packet?

I'm not proud of some of the things I've done for a sugar cube.

Once I found myself crawling around a horse stall trying to find one that had been left behind. That's when I traded my sugar addiction for alcoholism because it was more dignified.
    I don't like it when folks are too mean or too sarcasti,c, these are neither. This ish is FUNNY!!!!!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member

I'm sorry for your luck. You may need to avoid sugar in order to control a medical condition but you certainly didn't get fat because of it. You got fat because you ate too much food. period. Some people (like yourself) have to avoid sugar and watch their carbs for medical reasons but even those people can't blame the sugar for their weight gain or loss.
  • smitchum
    smitchum Posts: 13 Member
    lmao..... my favorite reply
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    People are addicted to sex, why cant they be addicted to sugar? Or is sex addiction not real, and is an excuse for celebrities to commit infidelity?

Brains love things that stimulates them

The only people who purport to believe in sex addiction are the counselors who get paid, and the divorce lawyers who are protecting a client's assets.

I love when people assume to know how every single person's brain functions. People can become addicted to anything. Addiction is nothing more than the repetition of a behavior despite adverse consequences.

How exactly does that definition have anything more to do with addiction than stupid behavior in general?

Never mind, no point in engaging in this conversation.

If you want to make excuses, it only affects you. No one else needs to believe those excuses for them to be effective in holding you back though.

Minus the fact that you did engage in the conversation. Oh, oops.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but in general, the fit people that have selfies with toned muscles and washboard abs think that sugar isn't addictive, while the heavier ones seem to think it is.
    And many of those people with the toned muscles and washboard abs did not always have toned muscles and washboard abs.

Some of them were once 300 pounds.

And not one of those 300lb'ers got fat from eating too much fruit, nor lost weight from cutting fruit from their diets.
    And I would bet 90% of them didn't cut any other sugar source, either.

Forgive the anecdote, but I lost 10 lbs over the course of 5-6 weeks mostly by cutting the refined sugar from my diet and replacing it with less sugary and natural sugar alternatives. I got rid of sugary yogurts, protein bars, sports & energy drinks, and fruit juices with added sugar. That amounted to going from over 100gs a day to under 50gs of refined sugar. And that was a loss of 10 "hard" lbs, as I dropped from about 180-170 on a 6 ft frame

dude, you ate less and lost weight..congratulations you have unlocked the ancient mayan secret to weight loss...
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Maybe some people who got themselves in shape did so by not making excuses like I can't moderate my sugar intake?

Or maybe they admitted they had a behavioral addiction problem and finally did learn to moderate their sugar intake?
  • maillemaker
    I used to be 220 and it was not sugars fault; now, I am 173 and still not sugars fault....my sugar intake know is probably about the same as it was back then..

Yup, you can lose weight like the professor who ate nothing but Twinkies and other snack cakes.

You just get to eat a lot less since those foods are so calorie-dense. On top of that you will have to exercise extreme willpower to limit how many of them you eat, and you'll get to deal with the swings in blood sugar that can lead to hunger.

But yes, you can lose weight eating lots of sugary junk food.
  • highervibes
    Maybe some people who got themselves in shape did so by not making excuses like I can't moderate my sugar intake?

Or maybe they admitted they had a behavioral addiction problem and finally did learn to moderate their sugar intake?

If you can learn to moderate it, wouldn't that mean that every last overweight person who lost weight was previously "addicted"? This argument doesn't make sense.
  • maillemaker
    The only people who purport to believe in sex addiction are the counselors who get paid, and the divorce lawyers who are protecting a client's assets.

This is false information. See the American Society of Addiction Medicine, and the DSM-V.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member

This is false information. See the American Society of Addiction Medicine, and the DSM-V.

Oh, FFS.

The thread is on sugar addiction, not sex addiction. The above was meant in jest.

I poked the other person, but come on. Back to the subject at hand.
  • highervibes

hairbird.jpg
  • JoyeII

I'm sorry for your luck. You may need to avoid sugar in order to control a medical condition but you certainly didn't get fat because of it. You got fat because you ate too much food. period. Some people (like yourself) have to avoid sugar and watch their carbs for medical reasons but even those people can't blame the sugar for their weight gain or loss.

Wow! Hostile much?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member

Wow! Hostile much?

That's hostile? :flowerforyou:
  • JoyeII
    I don't enjoy the condition. I enjoy the fact that the "sugar isn't evil" argument doesn't apply to me.
  • highervibes

Wow! Hostile much?

It's cute that you think that's hostile lol Do you have a sensitivity to reality as well as sugar?
  • maillemaker
    Maybe you're just weird.

I love sweets, I love chocolate, I love candy bars! I eat cookies/ice cream damn near daily...and even I would pick the strawberries. A nice juicy ripe strawberry and the way it just bursts into your mouth when you sink your teeth in? That mouth feel?

Snickers ain't got nothing on that.

We are all weird in one way or another. I, for example, cannot stand the slightest whiff of cigarette smoke, I can't imagine ever smoking a single one, let alone being addicted to them.

Not everyone finds pleasure in the same things, so behavioral addictions affect different people differently.
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Once I started taking zinc every day. I'm noticing I'm not craving sweets after I eat. Also I noticed my appetite seems normal. I was always hungry before I started taking zinc even after I ate. Now I eat and I'm good for a few hours but this is just what worked for me.
  • maillemaker
    I eat a pint of ice cream a night as well. I was also a smoker of 2 packs a day for 17 years, quit. Mental fortitude is all that's needed.

This, of course, is true for breaking any addiction.

However, as we know, it's very often very difficult to summon the mental fortitude required.