How is doing c25k? Lets support each other

Options

Replies

• Gerbera_35
    Options
    Just curious...I was thinking of starting the C25K. Is it okay to do on the treadmill?
  • carashirley
    carashirley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Just curious...I was thinking of starting the C25K. Is it okay to do on the treadmill?

I've only done mine on the treadmill! When I get done with C25K I plan on starting C210K and doing some of the running outside, since the weather will be cooler!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I have gone from 375 pounds down to 298 - and I am now considering this...but not sure if I am too heavy. I do not want to set myself up for failure....I know that T25 and Insanity are beyond my abilities at the moment. Also - I have knee issues.

What are your thoughts? Can I just jog it really slow? I would not be doing it to actually run a 5k...but just to get some extra movement and have another goal to work towards.

My advice would be to stick to walking til you're a good bit lighter, then work up your time jogging gently and progressing MUCH slower than on the standard c25k. I'm out with a knackered knee that's only just improving after several weeks - brought on by running (and I'd finished week 8!! :sad: :sad: :sad: ).
    I hope to start c25k again from the beginning in a month or so, but do each level for AT LEAST 2 weeks before moving on.

Running/ jogging puts a heck of a lot more stress on your knees than walking does, and if you can get your walking speed up you can burn almost as many calories as slow jogging. Good luck!! :smile:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it on the treadmill... I know everyone thinks treadmills suck but it's too hot outside and I just like doing it in the gym that way I can do it right after weights. I set the incline to 1. I just finished week 3, except I did week 3 day 3 twice because I didn't feel like I was ready for week 4 yet.
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I've also been doing this program on a treadmill. It's just way too hot out. Today I finished week 4 day 2. Amazing how much "easier" it felt today versus day 1. I love how fast I am seeing differences in myself. Looking forward to wrapping up this week and moving on to week 5!
  • Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    ok. I'm actually looking forward to W5 D3 tomorrow morning where I will run 2 miles..... well that's the idea anyway lol.

I am mad - I work in a school and it's the first day of term tomorrow, first day back also for my daughter (Starting G2/year 3) and need to (well want to so I look decent) wash and straighten my hair before we leave in the morning and want to/need to get into work early, so leave before 7am....

So.... I've made our lunches already and put them in the fridge and plan to by up at 5 and out the door by 5.15 so I can be back home by 6 leaving an hour to sort me and my daughter out lol

But I thought better to start as I mean to go on and hopefully the feeling of doing 2 miles will leave a smile on my face all day ;)

Have a good one all...

Nyk x
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    So I have decided to do week 4 again. Just don't feel quite ready for week 5 yet. So today I did w4d4.
  • jfl5
    jfl5 Posts: 37
    Options
    Two weeks under my belt, and I'm starting to feel the motor get stronger. I can accelerate up hills and simply feel more power in my stride. I'm really glad I decided to do the C25K so that I build up slowly and avoid knee pain.
  • Nyksta
    Options
    Ran two miles this morning!!! Had to slow to walk twice (but only for 10-15 seconds) and kept a good steady 10.5 min mile pace. So proud :)
  • monbot
    monbot Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    W5 D3 today! I was so scared of this one, but I completed it easy! *proudface*

ps: First post, weeee!
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Today is going to be Week 3, Day 3. Have been doing most of the workouts on the treadmill, but since the Y is closed today I'm going to have to do it outside. (Last 2 of 3 workouts have been outside due to being on vacation).

Personally, I prefer the treadmill because I'm forcing myself to run until it's time to lower the speed.

Running at snail-like pace, but on the treadmill doing it on a 2.0 incline to compensate. lol
  • dldrucker
    dldrucker Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I finished Week 7 yesterday - I can't believe I can run for 25 minutes! my total distance was 2.5 miles/4K. I actually got under a ten minutes mile.

It's funny, I keep thinking, "is it really me that is doing this????"

I really want to encourage everyone on this board to keep going. This is a great program. Running is helping me stick to my food plan, because I feel good, and, as a bonus, it has really improved my mood. There IS such a thing as a runner's high!
  • Nyksta
    Options
    Completed day 1 week 6 this morning - seems easy doing the intervals now I've done 2 miles lol.

I now have a achy pain in my left lower side/hip area though. Hoping I've just pulled it a bit and it's nothing more.

Nyk x
  • miclyn3
    miclyn3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 3 and did day 2 today. It seems to be getting a little easier! I'm a little nervous about the weeks to come with the longer runs! I've tried to run in the past but I think I always overdid it so I burned out. I'm glad to have come across this board to help with some encouragement to keep going! :smile:
  • Momma2CharlieJane
    Momma2CharlieJane Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    :sad: Haven't run since last Friday (w5d2). I am going out at lunch to do w5d3 today. I will not talk myself out of it!!! I have a 5K in 4 weeks and I was really hoping that I would have an extra week or two to help build up my speed. Probably won't happen now. I really need to get myself out of bed in the morning. I have been running outside, but it is too dark at 5 and I can't go any later in the morning. I will do it today!!!!!!! Even in the rain!!!

Great job to everyone so far!!
  • miclyn3
    miclyn3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    :sad: Haven't run since last Friday (w5d2). I am going out at lunch to do w5d3 today. I will not talk myself out of it!!! I have a 5K in 4 weeks and I was really hoping that I would have an extra week or two to help build up my speed. Probably won't happen now. I really need to get myself out of bed in the morning. I have been running outside, but it is too dark at 5 and I can't go any later in the morning. I will do it today!!!!!!! Even in the rain!!!

Great job to everyone so far!!
    [/quote

You can do it! It is hard to run in the dark or rain. I'm willing myself to have to start doing that since I live where it rains a lot!
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Finished week 4 today! Can't believe how much easier run 3 of this week was than week 1. This program is actually becoming "fun" for me as I'm seeing progress so quickly. I will take a rest day then Monday it's on to week 5. Love this forum you are all awesome for sharing your experiences!
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I will be starting week 5 on Monday. I am ready and can't wait.
  • ramrockrac
    Options
    This is my first week at c25k... I started it last April but never properly finished it. I'm going to follow it properly this time!
  • trinab48
    Options
    This is my 1st day starting the c25k.....I was able to complete it and look forward to the change. A co-worker has done REALLY well using the c25k and has lost 31 Lbs in 3 weeks