We trashed the sodas, chips, cookies

Options

Replies

• PepeLPew
    PepeLPew Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree. The "if you don't eat pop tarts you're doing it wrong" mafia is rampant around here lately.

OP, congrats on taking this first step and best of luck in reaching your goals.

It's not about that. It's not "eat like I do or you're doing it wrong."

The problem is people outright denying themselves foods they love to eat. It's not just sad, though it is very sad. It often leads directly to total failure.

Really? Denying yourself the foods you love to eat leads to failure? Drinking soda and eating those foods over time will likely lead to some type of organ failure lol. What about rejigging what you've been conditioned - through HFCS and other additives - to love to eat. What I find sad is that the foods people love to eat are not foods. Pop has zero nutritional benefits, nor do chips, etc. Call it subjective, but for some, with obesity, a paradigm shift regarding what food IS and what it should be needs to take place for there to be widespread change.
  • Cyliesmom
    Cyliesmom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the OP did what was right for him/ her. The OP was sharing an experience, not looking for opinions on whether this was right or wrong in the opinion of others. Whether they chose to donate food to a food bank or throw it out is no ones business. FYI in my town the food bank publishes a list of the foods they are looking for ( canned veg, rice, canned tuna, etc) .... I am thinking they don't even accept soda and potato chips.

Dear OP - wishing you success on your journey.... And support along the way
  • marniesworld
    marniesworld Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    No will power = throwing cookies in the trash so they don't pig out on them. I have kinds of different ice cream in the freezer, 4 kinds of pop tarts and 4 different kids cereals in the kitchen. I don't sit there and binge on it because I know there's always tomorrow or next week.

I'm pretty sure the OP admitted to having no will power ("we are junk food junkees") so they might just sit there and binge. That is how a lot of people ended up here in the first place. Everyone is different. They are at the beginning stages of their journey so it's particularly important for them to do what's best. I liken it to people being able to stop logging so religiously once they hit maintenance, but doing that at the beginning will leave them in the same situation that got them here in the first place. Maybe one day they will have pop tarts in their house, but if it's helping them to not do that, then what's the harm?

That's great that you can eat whatever you want, but you said yourself that everyone's limits/macros/lifestyle is different.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Why bother with something you don't want?

You shouldn't bother with anything you don't want.

Though I suspect that the OP does indeed want all the foods (s)he just threw out. That's why (s)he bought them in the first place ;)

So what? What's the problem with making this lifestyle change easier on yourself? Why does this have to be difficult?

Well isn't that the point? Not allowing yourself to have foods you love makes it more difficult, I think.

It also dramatically increases your chances of failure. There's a reason so many "diets" end in total breakdown.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    So you basically turned it into a house of deprivation. I will think of you as I enjoy my Ben & Jerry's tonight.

No, giving up various foods is not deprivation.. its called making a choice to eat more nutritious food. Its all attitude.. if a person wants to feel deprived they will think that way.

I dont eat that and i do not feel deprived. I feel liberated from food that was not as good for me as other choices. I have a budget of nutrients to eat, and I shall eat the best food possible for the calories and nutrients allotted for me.

QFT!!!! :drinker:

I have never thought of this lifestyle as deprivation. For every food I gave up, I introduced two other better ones in their place.
    Exactly!
    I am not "deprived". I eat what I WANT. What I want has changed.
    The replies to this thread are surreal.
    You want the pop tarts, eat them.
    You can't live without them, don't.
    Don't assume everyone is like you.

No kidding! I'm really shocked at some of these replies.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I am not "deprived". I eat what I WANT. What I want has changed.
    The replies to this thread are surreal.
    You want the pop tarts, eat them.
    You can't live without them, don't.
    Don't assume everyone is like you.

No kidding! I'm really shocked at some of these replies.

That's nice, but the OP didn't throw the food away because he didn't want them anymore.

He threw them away because he really, really wants them.

Don't you see the difference there?
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    So you basically turned it into a house of deprivation. I will think of you as I enjoy my Ben & Jerry's tonight.

Not necessarily. If still have snacks, but I don't keep them at home by default because I binge if I have it. Instead, if I want to have ice cream/chips/etc, I have to go out to get it. 8 times out of 10, it's not worth the effort for me, lol.

I respect your choice, OP -- rock on!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    You could have given it to me instead of trashing it.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options

Though I suspect that the OP does indeed want all the foods (s)he just threw out. That's why (s)he bought them in the first place ;)

So what? What's the problem with making this lifestyle change easier on yourself? Why does this have to be difficult?

Well isn't that the point? Not allowing yourself to have foods you love makes it more difficult, I think.

It also dramatically increases your chances of failure. There's a reason so many "diets" end in total breakdown.

For me, I was on about 1400 to 1500 calories a day when I was losing weight - you can stretch that pretty far if you eat the right foods.

However, one stop at McDonalds or one big gooey cinnamon roll, and there's your calorie allotment for the day in one sitting. I cut that stuff out almost completely, as it just wasn't worth it to me. I wanted to be thin so much more than a bite of any of that crap.

You want to go after a significant amount of weight loss, you are going to have to make changes to your lifestyle - no if ands or buts.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options

Not necessarily. If still have snacks, but I don't keep them at home by default because I binge if I have it. Instead, if I want to have ice cream/chips/etc, I have to go out to get it. 8 times out of 10, it's not worth the effort for me, lol.

I respect your choice, OP -- rock on!

Same here - besides, ice cream from a real honest to goodness ice cream shop tastes so much better than the stuff you buy at the store!!!
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options

Because you're a failure as a dieter unless you can prove you have the willpower to keep a house stocked with ice cream, poptarts, and chips, eating them in their corporate-designated perfect serving sizes on the reg. Willpower apparently does not extend to not buying it in the first place.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I agree. The "if you don't eat pop tarts you're doing it wrong" mafia is rampant around here lately.

OP, congrats on taking this first step and best of luck in reaching your goals.

It's not about that. It's not "eat like I do or you're doing it wrong."

The problem is people outright denying themselves foods they love to eat. It's not just sad, though it is very sad. It often leads directly to total failure.

I agree, but to me it often comes across as judgmental and belittling (see posts above).

Maybe cleaning out the kitchen and starting again is what this person needed. Offering the idea that they can have some of that stuff in moderation if they want to is great, but the idea is not so much offered as it is beaten into them until they are a bloody pulp.
  • PepeLPew
    Options

Because you're a failure as a dieter unless you can prove you have the willpower to keep a house stocked with ice cream, poptarts, and chips, eating them in their corporate-designated perfect serving sizes on the reg. Willpower apparently does not extend to not buying it in the first place.

Wow. Big language there - branding the guy essentially as a failure simply because he removes items that are temptations?

Sorry, but I totally disagree. Willpower can also mean that he has the resolve to remove these from his home. Removing temptation only to be branded a failure is a non-sequitur. Ridding one's bad habits can equally be a good start.

If he continues to buy these then yeah, the hate train is justified I suppose but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Wow. Big language there - branding the guy essentially as a failure simply because he removes items that are temptations?
    box with 40+ ingredients half of which I can't understand when I read, and because I aim for a paleo-type diet, I'm a failure?

Sorry, but I totally disagree. Willpower can also mean that he has the resolve to remove these from his home. Removing temptation only to be branded a failure is a non-sequitur. Ridding one's bad habits can equally be a good start.

If he continues to buy these then yeah, the hate train is justified I suppose.

Pretty sure the post you quoted was sarcastic.
  • PepeLPew
    Options

box with 40+ ingredients half of which I can't understand when I read, and because I aim for a paleo-type diet, I'm a failure?

If he continues to buy these then yeah, the hate train is justified I suppose.

Pretty sure the post you quoted was sarcastic.

Could be, I guess.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    Yep, it was definitely a sarcastic post. No need to get excited here. Move along, move along... :laugh:
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I can't believe some of the responses to the OP! would you chastise an alcoholic who decides to dump all his/her booze down the sink? Would you question why they didn't "donate" their alcohol to someone who could use it? Would you make snide comments about the alcoholic depriving themselves of something they really want? What makes you think the OP is "depriving" themselves of something they really really want by getting rid of the junk?

I think it is great for those of you who can brag about the ice cream and the chips and sodas you can shove into your mouth and still lose weight...not everyone can do that. If dumping all the junk food is the option that works for someone, then great!

Donating that junk to a food shelf is like allowing someone to use food stamps to buy junk to eat. Shame on all of you who think it is okay to shove junk food on to those who can't afford (or want to) eat healthy...I hope you are also the same ones who so gallantly donate $$$ for their medical bills.

Good luck OP and friend....
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    I can't believe some of the responses to the OP! would you chastise an alcoholic who decides to dump all his/her booze down the sink? Would you question why they didn't "donate" their alcohol to someone who could use it? Would you make snide comments about the alcoholic depriving themselves of something they really want? What makes you think the OP is "depriving" themselves of something they really really want by getting rid of the junk?

I think it is great for those of you who can brag about the ice cream and the chips and sodas you can shove into your mouth and still lose weight...not everyone can do that. If dumping all the junk food is the option that works for someone, then great!

Donating that junk to a food shelf is like allowing someone to use food stamps to buy junk to eat. Shame on all of you who think it is okay to shove junk food on to those who can't afford (or want to) eat healthy...I hope you are also the same ones who so gallantly donate $$$ for their medical bills.

:flowerforyou:
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options

"I think it is great for those of you who can brag about the ice cream and the chips and sodas you can shove into your mouth and still lose weight"

You shouldn't "assume" that people that eat ice cream, chips and sodas "SHOVE" food into their mouths either.

Goodnight.
  • Khamara_01
    Khamara_01 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Woooo there are some mixed reactions, i personally know i can have a treat now and again, but if i buy a tub of ice cream or chips i can't control myself. So i think you did the right thing, and me and my partner live everyday trying to get the most out of our food so in the future we will avoid getting the side effects of a un natural diet i.e Diabetes, high blood pressure.....

So wahoo go you! if it works for you, do it! and after awhile you don't actually need those foods in your body.