We trashed the sodas, chips, cookies

Options

Replies

• dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Wow - thread threw me for a loop. I can understand the different points of view.

From what I understand the 2 biggest issues are:

Purging vs. Donating
    Keeping some items vs. Getting rid of it all

We all have to do things our way. To be honest, on the first one, when my father became sober and came home from treatment, he asked to keep 2 beers. He poured them. The rest of the case he still had in the house was given to the neighbors. It was what worked FOR HIM. (He is 14 years sober)

As for the second one, when I quit smoking I carried one cigarette with me for 4 months after I "quit" because I knew it would drive me nuts to not have it. I had to have it within my reach otherwise I would have fiended for one. I am 17 months yesterday, cigarette free.

Not everyone is going to be able to do things they way my father or I did. IT WAS WHAT WORKED FOR US.

I know I may be ostricized that they aren't references to food, but everyone has their own perspective on how they can acheive their goals.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    So you basically turned it into a house of deprivation. I will think of you as I enjoy my Ben & Jerry's tonight.

No, giving up various foods is not deprivation.. its called making a choice to eat more nutritious food. Its all attitude.. if a person wants to feel deprived they will think that way.

I dont eat that and i do not feel deprived. I feel liberated from food that was not as good for me as other choices. I have a budget of nutrients to eat, and I shall eat the best food possible for the calories and nutrients allotted for me.

QFT!!!! :drinker:

I have never thought of this lifestyle as deprivation. For every food I gave up, I introduced two other better ones in their place.
    Giving anything up is deprivation. I've introduced thousands of ingredients to my rotation of foods. I've never eliminated one. Well, the ones I don't like. But I've never "given something up," just to replace it with something "healthier" as that's a false concept. Health is a matter of total diet, not any individual food. Ice cream and poptarts fit just as well into a healthy diet as carrots and apples do. Soda can fit into a healthy diet just as easily as water.

Not wanting to eat a food isn't deprivation or failure. Not eating a food because "I can't, I'm trying to lose weight and get healthy," is deprivation and leads to failure.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I can't believe some of the responses to the OP! would you chastise an alcoholic who decides to dump all his/her booze down the sink? Would you question why they didn't "donate" their alcohol to someone who could use it?

Did you REALLY just compare alcohol to food? One is a luxury, and a drug. The other is necessary for survival. People don't 'need' alcohol to survive, but they do need food. Pouring alcohol down the drain is one thing, throwing out perfectly good food is another.
  • marniesworld
    marniesworld Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I can't believe some of the responses to the OP! would you chastise an alcoholic who decides to dump all his/her booze down the sink? Would you question why they didn't "donate" their alcohol to someone who could use it?

Did you REALLY just compare alcohol to food? One is a luxury, and a drug. The other is necessary for survival. People don't 'need' alcohol to survive, but they do need food.

But chips and soda are also luxuries and are also certainly not needed to survive. The OP didn't say they were giving up ALL food.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I hardly think potato chips are necessary for survival.
  • marniesworld
    Options
    So you basically turned it into a house of deprivation. I will think of you as I enjoy my Ben & Jerry's tonight.

No, giving up various foods is not deprivation.. its called making a choice to eat more nutritious food. Its all attitude.. if a person wants to feel deprived they will think that way.

I dont eat that and i do not feel deprived. I feel liberated from food that was not as good for me as other choices. I have a budget of nutrients to eat, and I shall eat the best food possible for the calories and nutrients allotted for me.

I have never thought of this lifestyle as deprivation. For every food I gave up, I introduced two other better ones in their place.
    Giving anything up is deprivation. I've introduced thousands of ingredients to my rotation of foods. I've never eliminated one. Well, the ones I don't like. But I've never "given something up," just to replace it with something "healthier" as that's a false concept. Health is a matter of total diet, not any individual food. Ice cream and poptarts fit just as well into a healthy diet as carrots and apples do. Soda can fit into a healthy diet just as easily as water.

Not wanting to eat a food isn't deprivation or failure. Not eating a food because "I can't, I'm trying to lose weight and get healthy," is deprivation and leads to failure.

Wouldn't you agree, though, that sometimes we might have to make some temporary changes in order to get us into the correct mindset? The OP didn't say the plan was to never, ever have these things again. Maybe they just want them out of the area of temptation for now, until they can learn things like moderation. I would think this is a really common thing amongst people trying to make lifestyle changes.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    Options

Did you REALLY just compare alcohol to food? One is a luxury, and a drug. The other is necessary for survival. People don't 'need' alcohol to survive, but they do need food.

But chips and soda are also luxuries and are also certainly not needed to survive. The OP didn't say they were giving up ALL food.

When you need food, it doesn't matter where it comes from. When you can't feed your family, you don't care if it's baked beans, stale bread or chips, you're grateful for something. You can't feed your family on alcohol.
  • marniesworld
    Options

When you need food, it doesn't matter where it comes from. When you can't feed your family, you don't care if it's baked beans, stale bread or chips, you're grateful for something. You can't feed your family on alcohol.

Which would hold some weight if the OP said anything about not being able to feed their family.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    Options

Which would hold some weight if the OP said anything about not being able to feed their family.

We're not talking about the OP not being able to feed their family. We're talking about them throwing out perfectly edible food instead of donating it to a food bank, to be given to people who can't feed their family.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Wouldn't you agree, though, that sometimes we might have to make some temporary changes in order to get us into the correct mindset? The OP didn't say the plan was to never, ever have these things again. Maybe they just want them out of the area of temptation for now, until they can learn things like moderation. I would think this is a really common thing amongst people trying to make lifestyle changes.
    Again, the real complaint in this thread isn't about the OP not eating the foods. It's about systematically wasting perfectly good, unopened foods that could've been donated to a food bank so that people that are starving could've eaten it. That's the true issue people are having with the OP. I don't personally care what a person does or doesn't eat, as specific food choices don't matter as long as adequate nutrition is reached, but starvation is a serious problem worldwide, and I can't and won't condone anyone throwing away unopened, perfectly edible food. It's irresponsible. Almost 52 million people in The United States alone suffer from starvation and a lack of food. Just throwing food away that could've been donated to help is absolutely horrible and ridiculously selfish.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I hardly think potato chips are necessary for survival

Calories certainly are. Chips provide those.
  • marniesworld
    Options

We're not talking about the OP not being able to feed their family. We're talking about them throwing out perfectly edible food instead of donating it to a food bank, to be given to people who can't feed their family.

Right, but as others have pointed out, there is no telling that a food bank would have even accepted those items, nor do we know which ones were opened, etc. I, too, said in one of my earlier posts that it would have been nice if the OP donated the food. But they didn't, and they can't change that now.

My main point is going more towards those that seem to be chastising them for not having the willpower to have kept the "junk" in the house. Some are being quite vehement about how it's going to lead to failure, and deprivation, etc. when that all seems a bit extreme for someone just trying to make healthy choices and make some new lifestyle changes.

As the OP has yet to come back and comment on anything, I think my decision at this point is to just agree to disagree and gracefully bow out of the thread.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I control the food, it doesn't control me.

THIS

Everything in moderation works for me. As long as I can fit the food into my daily plan, I'm good to go.

Whatever works for you on your journey.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    The last time I cut junk food cold turkey my cravings didn't go away they only got worse. Now I eat what I want and still lose weight.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Congrats, I suppose. I stopped eating cookies and chips for a while, but ultimately found it to be unnecessary. At some point, you need to establish that you can control what you're eating, and I don't imagine that 100% avoidance ends well for most people.

The "junk food is like cigarettes" argument remains absurd. I won't even pretend like it makes any sense.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The last time I cut junk food cold turkey my cravings didn't go away they only got worse. Now I eat what I want and still lose weight.

You and literally millions of others. That's why I hate seeing people start down this path.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

You and literally millions of others. That's why I hate seeing people start down this path.

+1
  • ShadeBlossom
    ShadeBlossom Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Seriously? "Detox", "cleanse", a round-about reference to clean eating, food deprivation, and food "addiction" all in one post? This is like a winning card for MFP Troll BINGO.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    How that was rude.

Was it? I need to do some deep reflecting into the errors of my ways.

After ice cream though.

dude, you are a total jerk and need to do some self reflection ..just save some ice cream for me though...