Girls - How heavy do you go for squats?

Options

Replies

• kdcj17
    kdcj17 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    :( Before I took my hiatus, I was doing 90+ pounds on the smith machine. Absolutely cannot wait to get back to that point.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I like it when girls are squatting 185+.

Ah, I am not a girl (I have two kids and am pretty nigh on middle age soon) and I squat 220 lbs for reps and my PR is 242 lbs.

Heavy squats as folks have said make the legs and bum strong. If you want to make them bigger you need to eat more and lift heavy. If you want them to get leaner you need to eat less and lift heavy.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I just want to give a "hell yeah" to all the ladies lifting heavy here. I hate that somehow the word has gotten out that lifting heavy isn't ladylike. Nothing could be further from the truth.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: bump
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

Wow! You are very strong!
  • livlovra
    livlovra Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    133 today but have done heavier. Today was 3 sets of 5.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm squatting 120.
  • bauhausfrau
    bauhausfrau Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Some women do get bulky with heavy weights, but it doesn't happen overnight and you can always adjust your weights before it becomes a problem. Lifting 100 lbs. isn't going to make that happen, maybe lifting twice your body weight for months, but it takes a lot of time and effort to build muscle mass. Serious bodybuilders can only count on adding about 5 - 10 lbs. a year to their whole body. You have to really want big thighs to get big thighs.

By the way, I squatted about 95 lbs. before I decided that I wanted energy for more variety on my lower body days. Now I do only 60 - 65 lbs., 3 - 5 sets, 20 reps of about 8 varieties of squats & dead lifts + cable abductor pulls.
  • Jacqson84
    Jacqson84 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Eh, are these numbers exlcuding or including the barbell? They usually weigh around 45lbs...
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 6.25 kg (= 13.75 pounds) per side right now, and with a light bodypump class barbell, not one of those 45 pound ones. So no, I'm not "lifting heavy," but that's the most I can do right now and I hope to keep increasing it. I have to start somewhere. I'm not at all concerned about "getting bulky," it's just that I started out really weak and I'm doing my best.

Oh, and also, I'm an adult woman, not a "girl."
  • hannahhop99
    hannahhop99 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I weigh 125 and my squat max is 230lbs.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    130 for my 1RM
    105 for my working set but that was 2 months ago before I hurt my back walking a 150# Choc Lab who zigged when I zagged :sick:
    pfft. Going back to the gym next week though :smokin:
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    My 1RM is also 130#. That would be about two pounds away from squatting my body weight, but the holiday season has basically been a slight bulk for me. I just upped my protein a bit and felt pretty good about enjoying some of my favorite Christmas snacks.

After squats:
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-3469-1377019379-2.gif

How I feel about Christmas candy and cookies:
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-24851-1377023454-0.gif
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    My 1RM is 250, and I'm going to work my *kitten* off to push that to 275 in the coming weeks :flowerforyou:
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    140lb including the barbell (45lbs)... 5 set of 8-10
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    200 for 3 reps it's not that anymore as I have been slacking lately but I will get there again.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    145 lbs (above my BW) so far for 3 sets of 10.I'm still a beginner so taking it easy but should go up soon.Oh I am 5'8 and 130 with long legs LOL
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Squat 45 pds right now, need to get a squat rack, hopefully in a few weeks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Recently BB squatted 275lb (to parallel).