All calories are not the same

Options

Replies

• aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking that 250 calories of pizza has more nutrients than 250 calories of chicken.

that isn't what the OP brought to the table (lol)

he said chicken breast, quinoa, and raw spinach
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking that 250 calories of pizza has more nutrients than 250 calories of chicken.

If the choice of food matters, then the point can't be about calories,

The OP is conflating issues.
  • ShadeBlossom
    ShadeBlossom Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm still boggling over pizza being a food we weren't meant to be able to eat...

Pizza crust: Wheat flour, water, salt, and yeast (a natural, living organism).
    Pizza sauce: Cooked tomatoes and spices.
    Toppings: Cheese, meats, etc.

Stop me when I get to the "man made", unnatural bits. I mean, unless we're talking about cooking and refining as being "unnatural"? In which case, I'm curious to know which plant the OP harvested his instant oatmeal from and which free-range, humanely treated almonds were milked to provide his almond milk.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Next thing you know, people are going to start claiming that pie isn't really pie, but I'll eat the hell out of some pie.

Pot pie isn't really a pie, it's a stew with a crust. Discuss.

Agree. If it had a crust on the bottom as well, then it would be a savory pie. Like meat pies. YesNo?
    Yes. This is what I know pot pie to be.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the dichotomy that food is either healthy or man made.

Also, isn't a cooked chicken breast just as "man made" as some cooked flour, tomatoes and cheese?
  • aliciap412
    Options
    humans were killing chickens and eating them prior to the agricultural revolution

just a thought
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    Well then I'll go with wikipedia selectively? lol

:laugh: And the great debate continues. :P

Great. I'll be up all night stressing over the answer . . .

Well there is no debate as to whether or not cheesecake is delicious. Because those that say it isn't, well, they're just flat out wrong.
    Uh, not all cheesecake is delicious. Mine is delicious, there's no doubt about that. But I have had plenty that is awful. I'm looking at you, Cheesecake Factory.
  • ShadeBlossom
    ShadeBlossom Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Well there is no debate as to whether or not cheesecake is delicious. Because those that say it isn't, well, they're just flat out wrong.
    Uh, not all cheesecake is delicious. Mine is delicious, there's no doubt about that. But I have had plenty that is awful. I'm looking at you, Cheesecake Factory.

There is nothing more disappointing than bad cheesecake. :(
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    humans were killing chickens and eating them prior to the agricultural revolution

just a thought

But an animal still has to be processed. We're not like cats who just eat the animal whole.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

I would put it up against that as well. (lol)
  • NoAdditives
    Options

There is nothing more disappointing than bad cheesecake. :(

Right? It's one of the worst food experiences possible.
  • whierd
    Options

just a thought

Point?
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    well, most fat people are not binging or craving chicken or quinoa. I have never heard anyone say they are binging on baby spinach. They may have the same energy value, they are far from the same. Sugar and highly processed foods lead to blood sugar dips and highs which lead to being hungrier. Timex and Rolex are technically both watches , but the quality is very different.
    The people arguing they are the same, want to justify their treats. If you want pop tarts that is your choice, do not try to say the nutritional value or lack thereof does not matter. It does. be accountable.
  • JL2513
    JL2513 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I think the OP's referring to the nutritional content of the foods. A calorie's a calorie, like many people have already stated. I think it's important to pay attention to the quality of foods you're eating, not just the caloric content. While you may be running a caloric deficit and losing weight, clogging your arteries at the same time isn't going to do you much good.
  • aliciap412
    Options

just a thought

But an animal still has to be processed. We're not like cats who just eat the animal whole.

you don't need specialized workers and advanced tools to cut up a chicken and cook it. unless you're special in some way lol
  • whierd
    Options

just a thought

you don't need specialized workers and advanced tools to cut up a chicken and cook it. unless you're special in some way lol

Nor is it needed to grow and harvest wheat and tomatoes. Or to mill the flour or turn the tomatoes into sauce. Or to make cheese.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    All calories are not the same.
    eje6.gif
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

just a thought

specialized tools like fire for cooking, or a knife? Or do you mean specialized tools like a grinding wheel for grain?

Or heat for pasteurization of milk?
  • dizzysmile
    dizzysmile Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The argument isn't about the number of calories, it's about the nutritional value of those calories. Yes, 250 calories is 250 calories, but you may not be getting quite as much that benefits you from a slice of pizza as you probably would from chicken with quinoa and spinach.

It's the same concept as this: You need to cut your lawn. You COULD go out there and clip each blade individually with nail clippers or you could use a lawnmower. Sure, the job gets done either way, the BIG picture is fine. But when you look at it closely, which one sounds like the better option? They're not equal, despite accomplishing the same task (ie, being 250 calories.)

That said, that doesn't mean that you can't spend your calories however the hell you want to. Just don't lie to yourself and think you're getting the same nutritional value out of 250 calories of marshmallow Fluff as you would out of 250 calories of protein, grains and vegetables.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    most pizza unless homemade is not just toamtoes and cheese lol. If you think so you are deluded. Pizza chains use hfcs and all kinds of chemicals to keep the ingredients stable. Pizza hut dough is premade and spread with all kinds of butter oil, especially the pan pizza, ever see the grease film (yellow) on your hands? Do not try to say frankenfood is just innocent tomatoes and hey what's wrong with that? LOL