everyne says " eat more to loose weight " bs ??

Options

Replies

• cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    really....how far back did you go ......zeeeez
  • ohhhjadeee
    Options
    Lift heavy weights!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Yea there are no add on weights, its my machine...Its a Marcy EM1 and 2.....

You may just have a wider range of reps before you add weight then.

Get the reps up to 12 before you add the 10 lbs and drop back to 6 reps per set.

Then work your way back up. That's progressive overload in 2 ways actually, weight and time under tension, both good.
  • cvcman
    Options
    well....it would be better to read it all or old your responses
  • cvcman
    Options
    Ok...I have some soft wrap 5 pound weights I could use those....Ill give it a try....Again I may just weigh in on Thursdays,,,that seems to be my low day...today I was up slightly again....Maybe sodium because I eat pretzles ( I scrape off most of the salt ) at like 7pm...then I go to bed at 10
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    ( I scrape off most of the salt )

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who does this...

Personally, when I've been increasing my overhead press, I use 2.5lb increases (I bought 1.25lbs weights for the barbell that I bring to the gym with me) because it's just so hard for me to progress (granted, I'm a girl, and we have weaker upper bodies in general to men with comparable levels of training). Upper body just sucks, so I'd keep those soft weights handy.

The last thing you want is to get frustrated from lack of progress because then you're more likely to give up. And as Bales said, if you have to drop down to 6 reps when you do a 10lb increase, don't see it as a failure. It's just part of the process.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
  • cvcman
    Options
    The pretzles are killing me.lol after supper every night i have a glass of red wine and some pretzles....I try to eat just like 10 ut....it doesnt work out that way.. I do scrape the salt off but wonder if this is whats keeping my weight at 141....I also disagree with MFP on the cardio...I biked this morning for 70 minutes at an avg speed of 17mph...I ran the day before for 45 minutes...MFP gives more cals burned with the biking than the running..
    I know I feel more "worked out " with the runs than the biking....

I still dont think I should be eating 2000 cals a day but im trying ...seems too much
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Even when you scrape the salt off, they are still salty. Pretzels are evil, they suck you in and make you eat way more than you should! But seriously, if you are not tracking your sodium with your food diary, start looking at it. Too much makes it easy to retain water.
  • cvcman
    Options
    My weight seems to have flatlined this whole week....I still must not get it...if you weigh say 150....and according to people here you eat what the site says to loose....is there or there must be a point that your body stops loosing ??? my weight flucuates as does everyones but it seems like every year I get back from vacation to maine where I eat lobsters every day and ice cream every day and still the pretzles and even bread which I NEVER eat here,,,,my weight is down 3 pounds.

But if I eat like that home for a week my weight always goes up a few pounds....I have now been doing weights 3 days a week and eating more / different foods and my weight seems to be increasing.....I will wait a few weeks and see....I would like to just keep it at 140 but feel I need to do 7 days of cardo and watch my diet to do that ???
  • chrismeece74
    Options
    First, you didnt gain 2 lbs from one splurge over night. Its all water from all the sodium in the pizza and wings. You dont have to eat more to lose. I follow the guidelines on here, and to date have lost 40lbs, eating what I want to....just controlling the portions, and cutting out almost all my snacking. I also go to the gym everyday, some days I eat back my calories, some days I dont. I think the eating part is more about what you are eating and portion size. About the only real changes I made to my diet was cutting out the soda, going from drinking coffee all day to just 2 cups a day, and controlling my portion sizes. I have been deployed onboard a Navy ship for six months now, and lost all of it out here, not exactly the best food in the world. The other two tips I would give are this.....drink water....lots of it, and stay motivated and realistic with your goals, and how long it will take to get there. Weigh in only once a week, not every day or the ups and downs of the scale will drive you nuts.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Normal weight fluctuation can go up to 5lbs. It's probably water weight form all the sodium.
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    To gain 2 pounds, you would have to eat 7000 calories ABOVE your BMR.

c9jz.jpg

So unless you ate 44 hot wings and 11 slices of pizza, it's all the sodium making you retain water weight.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Has anyone looked at the date of the original post??? The chicken wings and pizza were eaten back in January... That ship has sailed! :huh:

If you are just starting to lift weights don't try to progress too fast at first and don't start too heavy. For the first 3 to 4 weeks of weight training all you are doing is trying to learn perfect form and at this point you are not going to build much if any muscle. During this time you are getting your nervous system and connective tissues used to the movements and weights. After a couple of weeks try to progress in some way every workout. If you are not progressing consistently you are not giving the muscles any reason to get stronger. As a beginner you will be able to gain a little muscle at first "newbie gains" but it will be short lived because you can't gain muscle in a deficit, it will take a surplus to gain muscle mass. Find a good full body routine and stick to it. And stay off the damn scale for a little while!!! Don't get caught up on what you weigh. Use a different gauge of progress for a while. Take some pics. Use your body fat%, do something besides using the scale to gauge your progress.

After reading most of this thread, if I remember correctly you are at around the same weight you were back in January so whether by design or accident you have been consistently eating at maintenance. If your goal is weight loss you will have to make sure you are consistently in a deficit. Simple as that.

Here's a good site for some lifting routines; http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/
    There's also some good info there that might answer some of your questions. Good luck!
  • danimalkeys
    Options
    My weight seems to have flatlined this whole week....I still must not get it...if you weigh say 150....and according to people here you eat what the site says to loose....is there or there must be a point that your body stops loosing ??? my weight flucuates as does everyones but it seems like every year I get back from vacation to maine where I eat lobsters every day and ice cream every day and still the pretzles and even bread which I NEVER eat here,,,,my weight is down 3 pounds.

But if I eat like that home for a week my weight always goes up a few pounds....I have now been doing weights 3 days a week and eating more / different foods and my weight seems to be increasing.....I will wait a few weeks and see....I would like to just keep it at 140 but feel I need to do 7 days of cardo and watch my diet to do that ???

You will retain water as you recover from lifting workouts. I know that the day after a hard workout I'm 1-2lbs heavier than normal.

As people have already said- it's not unusual to gain a little weight when you start doing the eat more idea.

Have you tried cutting down on your carbs? My weight was stalled for a year, and I had the same frustration you have, where you are eating below maintenance, doing your cardio, lifting, and the weight doesn't go anywhere. About 8 weeks ago I cut down on my carbs, allowing myself between 50-80 grams a day (I was eating 150-250/day), and I'm down 8 lbs. It took some adjusting- no good beer, no pasta, no bread, no pretzels, no yogurt, etc. I'm at the point now where I can have an ice cream or eat some rice or tortillas or a couple pretzels as long as I watch what else I eat during the day.
  • danimalkeys
    Options
    Has anyone looked at the date of the original post??? The chicken wings and pizza were eaten back in January... That ship has sailed! :huh:

We all know that, but it's been an ongoing thread since then.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It took some adjusting- no good beer, no pasta, no bread, no pretzels, no yogurt, etc. I'm at the point now where I can have an ice cream or eat some rice or tortillas or a couple pretzels as long as I watch what else I eat during the day.
    I'd never give up good beer; that's a life not worth living :wink:

If you're saying you like to stay right around 140, you need to start thinking about a maintenance mindset. You don't have to kill yourself with cardio, but if you're enjoying cardio, then you can obviously keep it. Maintenance is not keeping a specific weight, it's staying within a weight range. People will always fluctuate up and down, so keep in mind that "gaining" 2 pounds every now and then doesn't mean that you are failing maintenance. Also, as people increase their calories, they will often gain a little weight, which usually drops off, but again, keep in mind the range.

You might also want to head over to the new section of "Goal: Maintenance". They would have a lot better advice for you than some of us who have not reached maintenance would.
  • danimalkeys
    Options
    Giving up the good beer was a huge sacrifice to make! I do allow myself a couple/few IPA's on the weekends, just account for it in my numbers for the day. I just don't drink 6 of them at a time @ 20+ carbs per beer and 200+ calories.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Lobster has a ton of sodium, probably because its a salt water fish. i believe sodium helps retain water.