How to avoid MFP Bullies

Options
1234568»

Replies

• delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    This forum is labeled "community." Community isn't just about being a research fanatic (something that I already am). Honestly, I avoid posting here often because MFP has a relatively mean community, one with whom I don't often strive to build relationships.This post is just another example of the poor attitude around here. It is really unfortunate, because I love everything else about MFP. It has been very helpful to me!

Relative to what? If your posts are about what a crappy community, then I guess . . . you know, you get what you get, sort of like when I go into neighborhoods of [insert ethnic group] and shout [ethnic group] slurs.

I'm not going to debate with you about the poor attitude of the original post in this thread - because I know we disagree - but what is it that you're expecting but not receiving in satisfactory quantities?

Also, I'm not being mean right now - I'm smiling, and I'm looking forward to engaging in a constructive discussion about your concerns.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Community...... some communities are rough. If the community pool, tennis courts and all the other amenities are great but you hate the people, then don't go to the potluck. K?
  • quebot
    quebot Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Relative to people I know in real life. I just can't imagine people saying the things they do here in real life. I guess the curtness of the things I read often takes me aback. Maybe it's just the tone of the text I am misreading. The impression that I get is not always positive, and I don't exactly have words to express that. Sorry. I've only participated in one other forum regularly, but it is exponentially friendlier than what I often read here. I guess there are many ways to say things, and people do not often choose the kinder way to say things here. I don't expect my post to be a MFP world changer. The culture here is what it is.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Close account?
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    And use the search button in the forums to find the same question you asked has been asked 9,999 times before.

Most definitely - how much water should I be drinking; why is the water counter in cups; can I count diet soda as water; should I be eating less than 1200 calories and the list goes on.

So.... if we wanna ask a questions that hasn't been answered in over a year, and we wanna chat with current useres about it - then we deserve to be subjected to all the 'hide behind your username'-I'm gonna anwser- but not seriously-then change the subject-and belittle you for making any effort to lose weight-unhelpful-MFP commentators?

It's like you have nothing better to do ... oh wait ... you don't.
  • mushroomsontoast
    mushroomsontoast Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    5. If you can't take the heat, don't tickle the dragon.

LOVE this, gonna pinch it :laugh:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    In for the butthurt...and the gifs

One caveat to the search....and I am sure lots have seen this...People search then post on a topic that is well over 6months, 12 months, 2 years old reviving an older thread that gets active...

As for Bullies here??? really???

I have seen some awful comments from people...calling each other fat (that thread got locked after about 8 hours) the body shaming from new folks saying ewwww that's gross when referring to well developed muscles or arguing that some stupid salt flush is a good thing...and saying those disagreeing with science to back them up are idiots...New folks coming in mad that they got out of control and will do anythingggggggggg to lose weight? or the alumni here giving good advice backed by science with a side of bluntness???

Oh and for all of those who have butthurt just reading this thread this one is for you....please fill out and deliver to the WWW cops they are waiting for your call....

butthurt-report-form-internet-version_zps7ee4bf9f.jpg
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    6) Don't call other members "trolls" simply because they answer your question with facts rather than fantasy.

Not so much on here, because I mostly post "this is my personal experience" stuff here, but in general, I've been called a troll so many times just for saying things that are true. A troll is someone who deliberately posts inflammatory things that they don't necessarily believe just for the laughs. I've never done that. People throw that term around way too much.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Community...... some communities are rough. If the community pool, tennis courts and all the other amenities are great but you hate the people, then don't go to the potluck. K?

Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    3) NO NO NO NO NO. if you don't have anything nice to say you don't have to reply at all. NO NO NO. YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO KEEP YOUR SNARKY YAP SHUT! In LIFE, as in face to face, you wouldn't behave rudely toward strangers.

It someone posts a stupid question, and the only people who are allowed to answer are other stupid people who are going to support the OP's incorrect information, how is the OP going to learn anything? Discussion forums are for discussion, not validation only. Granted, there are polite and impolite ways to disagree, but I think that the heavy moderation on this site takes care of that.

As for "you wouldn't do that in real life," sure I would if a stranger walked up to me and asked me a dumb question, which is what the in-person parallel situation would be. Well, I might begin with, "Who are you and why are you talking to me?" and go from there.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    4. Remember that people you may not like, or who have contradicting opinions also have computers.

These rules also apply when someone calls you mean, rude, or snide. :wink: Their opinions won't always be wrapped up in rainbows and glitter, either. I guess one of those handy Butthurt Complaint forms could be filled out though. :drinker:
  • fat2fabuless
    Options
    I think lots of times the same questions are asked especially b/c everyone is different and they might want the question/answer to be more personalized for them. I have searched similar questions/answers on here and still asked the question so it could better fit me. If you don't want to read what people post... dont. they made the forums for a reason. to post and get help. It's pathetic people would discourage you otherwise.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    4. Remember that people you may not like, or who have contradicting opinions also have computers.

These rules also apply when someone calls you mean, rude, or snide. :wink: Their opinions won't always be wrapped up in rainbows and glitter, either. I guess one of those handy Butthurt Complaint forms could be filled out though. :drinker:

Finally. Someone saw the irony of this ridiculous thread. :drinker:
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Good grief...
This discussion has been closed.