Foods you have 'discovered' on your way to healthier eating

Options

Replies

• bknemetz
    bknemetz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For me, Greek Yogurt 0% fat (Fage brand). I love it with fresh figs. (Bummer that the fig season is ending :cry: )
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    ❤ rice paper wrappers

❤ coconut sugar

❤ coconut nectar

❤ chia seeds

❤ DIY nut milks & nut butters: almond, pecan, & walnut

❤ DIY oat flour

❤ DIY vegan "buttermilk"

❤ DIY almond flour

❤ DIY chia seed jams: blueberry, blackberry, & strawberry

❤ ground turkey

❤ DIY spinach fettuccine noodles

❤ green powders

❤ DIY nut butter cups: almond, pecan, & walnut

❤ matcha powder

❤ low sodium vegetable broth

❤ DIY smoothie packs

❤ DIY spinach tortillas

❤ DIY vegan frozen treats
  • peanutbutterrunna
    Options
    Bok Choy!
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed. I keep a bag in the fridge and pour some into my palm for munching.
  • ssm_1972
    ssm_1972 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Flax seed
  • Karababy51
    Karababy51 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just started last Monday, but I've already discovered a few things I've never had before that I now LOVE including:

Greek yogurt - Haven't tried the plain yet, but the peach & strawberry Yoplait Greek 100 w/2x protein is yummers!
    Baby Spinach - I put it in ALL my salads and sandwiches now
  • davidaward14
    davidaward14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms, egg whites, turkey bacon, and diet soda. I also learned that Walmart has a canned vegetables and fruit section. Go figure!
  • KEPhipps
    Options
    cooking with coconut oil
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've always been a healthy eater, but I have discovered one new item through this process - Almond milk. A while ago I found out my digestive troubles were linked to casein (milk protein) so I needed a substitute. Lactose free milk doesn't help, since it still has casein in it. Turns out, unsweetened almond milk has no sugar and 50% more calcium than cow's milk, and it can easily substitute in cooking and baking as well. I was never a huge fan of cow's milk anyway, so no loss there. :drinker:
  • davidaward14
    davidaward14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I never ate egg whites before MFP; however, I gave them a try after seeing other people's food diary. Egg whites were not so bad. At first, I though they might had been either hard to cook or not tasty. My "assumptions" was wrong on both accounts.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    im also enjoying roasted hemp seeds seasoned in sea salt,,,they are a unique combination of omega 3's and 6's and apparently a little scoop of hemp seeds on a salad or in your morning shake is the same benefit as a 4oz piece of salmon. You can eat them as a snack they taste like pumpkin seeds.

I love pumpkin seeds and eat them almost daily, but I've never had hemp seeds. I will have to look into that.
  • paulstephenmarshall
    Options
    what is tilapia?
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Turkey, Almonds/Trail Mix, Protein Powder, Oats. all stuff i rarely ate b4.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    what is tilapia?

type of fish http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilapia
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Shirataki noodles, mushrooms, basil pesto, sweet potatoes, and Arctic Zero's 150 calorie frozen dessert pints :)
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats I love them
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts
    Greek yogurt
    Chia seeds
    Flax seeds
    Kale
    Swiss chard
    Seitan
    Tempah
    Almond milk
    Steel cut oats
    Butternut squash
  • clownfear_7
    Options
    Greek yogurt, tofu, chia seed, flax seed, quinoa, Ezekiel Bread. I've also discovered how to make my own bread so I know what I'm putting in my body. Kids love it too.
  • clownfear_7
    Options
    Zucchini - I make EVERYTHING out of zucchini these days

Zucchini is a great addition to breakfast smoothies. Protein powder, 1/2 a banana, and some zucchini and it's amazing that the zucchini flavor does not come through at all. Same with spinach. My boys absolutely love my Swamp Water!
  • clownfear_7
    Options
    Mushrooms, egg whites, turkey bacon, and diet soda. I also learned that Walmart has a canned vegetables and fruit section. Go figure!

Hey there! First and foremost, thank you so much for your service to our country. I have the utmost respect for you.
    I am sure that you have heard it before, but I'd rather state what may be the obvious in order to help a brother out. Diet soda is so very bad for our bodies. It may have less calories, but it is so loaded with everything artificial and unhealthy. If you're going to go the step of diet vs. regular maybe you can just make that extra little step of cutting it out completely.
    Whatever your choice, good luck to you on your quest for health and happiness!