everyne says " eat more to loose weight " bs ??

Options

Replies

• cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    RE-read...AFTER eating all the lobster I weighed LESS
  • cvcman
    Options
    look at my diet/diary
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    RE-read...AFTER eating all the lobster I weighed LESS

Also, an article about why you may have lost after pigging out on vacation:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

Essentially, it's likely water weight that you lost that was masking previous losses you had made over time, but the refeed helps signal it's ok to release the water (author's guess of what happens as there have been no scientific studies on "whooshes"). Also, if you had been strength training for a little bit and then stopped on vacation, that could also contribute to a water loss.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Looking over your diary for the last week or so, I'd say you're still not eating enough. You are consistently 1000+ calories below goal. You exercise more than I do, you burn more than I do, and you eat LESS than I do - I eat more and am losing. Edited to add: - It looks like you had negative net calories yesterday! :noway:

Eat the calories or cut back on your exercise. Food is fuel - if you consistently over train and under eat, you're not going to get the results you want.

Curious about your vacation week where you dropped 3 pounds - did you exercise that week?

Another question - I see your calorie burn is often exactly the same, 592 - do you have a HRM or do you go by MFP's estimations? Might be worth getting yourself a good HRM to better estimate what you're burning.

Meanwhile - eat your calories! You can't eat 1400 cals and run and bike and lift weights and expect your body to be happy with that. Seriously.
  • brendapalmer146
    brendapalmer146 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Looking over your diary for the last week or so, I'd say you're still not eating enough. You are consistently 1000+ calories below goal. You exercise more than I do, you burn more than I do, and you eat LESS than I do - I eat more and am losing. Edited to add: - It looks like you had negative net calories yesterday! :noway:

Eat the calories or cut back on your exercise. Food is fuel - if you consistently over train and under eat, you're not going to get the results you want.

Curious about your vacation week where you dropped 3 pounds - did you exercise that week?

Another question - I see your calorie burn is often exactly the same, 592 - do you have a HRM or do you go by MFP's estimations? Might be worth getting yourself a good HRM to better estimate what you're burning.

Meanwhile - eat your calories! You can't eat 1400 cals and run and bike and life weights and expect your body to be happy with that. Seriously.

I totally agree with this! You cannot train the way you do and only eat 1200-1500 calories per day! It's simply not going to work. Your body think's it's starving. How do you even function on those calories? (Im not trying to sound mean) I run a few times per week and I find if I dont eat upwards of 1800-2300 on the days that I run I am totally sick to my stomach, dizzy or very tired after that run. If you are cycling that is quite a strenous work out and burns tons of calories regardless of what MFP says. I know it's hard to get your head around but you really do need to eat more than you do. Maybe on the days that you dont train or cycle eat less obviously but on the days that you train eat more! Have you looked into trying the TDEE method? Google it and try the calculator out. With the number that it will give you minus 15 % and try eating every day at the calorie goal. I know a few people who are doing that and Im trying that out myself and it's working. it gives you higher calories than MFP but you eat the same calorie intake every single day regardless of your exercise as it already factor's it into your calories every day. Good luck!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    To gain 2 pounds, you would have to eat 7000 calories ABOVE your BMR.

Need to get your terms and concepts clearly in mind, the above comment is totally incorrect, though the idea is correct.

You mean TDEE, not BMR.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    look at my diet/diary

Do you really weigh everything, or how much do you estimate?

Everything but liquids should be weighed for a couple weeks to see how off you are.

You really only ate 15 calories worth of oatmeal?
    Only 1/8 cup of croutons?

Even those prepackaged items with "about 2 servings" or even "1 serving" may be more weight than the package shows. A bunch of 1.25 to 1.45 servings by weight when you've been logging 1 can add up over a day.

Of course, it's not making up for you being about 1000 less than needed.

Honest evaluation.
    Has your method of doing things been working here lately, prior to this advice?

Doesn't matter if it worked at first for so much weight loss, when you have a lot to lose, you can do a bunch wrong and still see success - not as much as you could have had if done right though.
    But with little to lose, you gotta do it right and smart.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    "Eat more to lose weight " means you don't have to eat 1200 cals a day and struggle and that eating more calories overall will give you more energy and fuel workouts.. Doesn't have much to do with bingeing one day on pizza/wings/beer.
  • cvcman
    Options

Meanwhile - eat your calories! You can't eat 1400 cals and run and bike and lift weights and expect your body to be happy with that. Seriously.

Ok; on vacation I did my same workouts, bike or run,,,,,,the 592 is what comes up when I put in my 45 minutes run time at an 8 minute mile which I measured...I do wear a HR moniter and I stay a little over 80%MHR...and the vacation....it happens both hen we go to Maine and eat lobsters everyday ( last year I ate 28 in one week ) and when we go to camp up north....I still pretty much eat the same diet EXCEPT I eat a BIG ice cream every night ...I still come back 2 to 3 pounds lighter
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options

Ok; on vacation I did my same workouts, bike or run,,,,,,the 592 is what comes up when I put in my 45 minutes run time at an 8 minute mile which I measured...I do wear a HR moniter and I stay a little over 80%MHR...and the vacation....it happens both hen we go to Maine and eat lobsters everyday ( last year I ate 28 in one week ) and when we go to camp up north....I still pretty much eat the same diet EXCEPT I eat a BIG ice cream every night ...I still come back 2 to 3 pounds lighter
    So maybe that is your body's way of telling you it LIKES more food/fuel? :tongue:
  • cvcman
    Options
    look at my diet/diary

Do you really weigh everything, or how much do you estimate?

Everything but liquids should be weighed for a couple weeks to see how off you are.

You really only ate 15 calories worth of oatmeal?
    Only 1/8 cup of croutons?

Even those prepackaged items with "about 2 servings" or even "1 serving" may be more weight than the package shows. A bunch of 1.25 to 1.45 servings by weight when you've been logging 1 can add up over a day.

Of course, it's not making up for you being about 1000 less than needed.

Honest evaluation.
    Has your method of doing things been working here lately, prior to this advice?

Doesn't matter if it worked at first for so much weight loss, when you have a lot to lose, you can do a bunch wrong and still see success - not as much as you could have had if done right though.
    But with little to lose, you gotta do it right and smart.

Yup I did when I started weigh..my morning oatmeal is like a tablespoon...just so I have a little something in my guy before running..when you add the water it swells up :) The croutons are like 5 on my salad...All I know is when I started I was 197 pounds...im 140 now...all I did was bike and run everyday....and chgd my diet...no milk,bread,rice,cold cuts etc...now for awhile I was 138...now I seem to be staying at 141....but my vacation weeks I eat ice cream everyday and come home 3 pounds lighter
  • cvcman
    Options
    Betcha ill be up tomorrow...my 1 time a year for 2 cinnamon donuts and a glass of cider...then my pretzles.....oh well
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    I'm up and down all the time. I weigh daily - it's habit. Last weekend I was 400 calories over goal, and down more than a pound the next morning. A little more a couple days later. Today I'm up two pounds, despite being on target the past few days. It's not linear - weight naturally fluctuates up and down by several pounds all the time. As long as the overall trend is the right direction, and my clothes still fit and the tape measure shows progress, it's all good.

Over the past month I've been up and down as much as 5lbs - yet the tape shows that I've lost inches. Don't put too much stock in the scale. Fuel your body for your life and workouts, keep moving, drink water, get good rest, take days off. And be patient. :bigsmile:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the posts, but was wondering, how tall are you?

I can't imagine why you would want to be under 140 lbs unless you are under 5'5 or so.

Perhaps at this point you need to stop obsessing over the scale number and focus more on building muscle. Increasing your lean body mass will help with bone strength as well as increase your metabolism, so you could splurge on the occasional pizza and wings, etc.

Watching that scale go up and down can drive you crazy.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I repeat that weighing yourself daily will always show fluctuations. Heck, your weight can fluctuate by 3 lbs just during a single day! Weigh once a week to get more accurate idea, but even that won't be a perfect picture. And, again, keep things fairly regulated for at least a month before deciding it isn't working.

However, Debbie has a really good point, and if your main concern is the "flab" on your stomach, I would definitely start measuring
    With a soft tape rather than weighing to check progress. I personally had not lost a lb in 2weeks prior to my issues last week, but had lost inches from various places, including my waistline.
  • cvcman
    Options
    I repeat that weighing yourself daily will always show fluctuations. Heck, your weight can fluctuate by 3 lbs just during a single day! Weigh once a week to get more accurate idea, but even that won't be a perfect picture. And, again, keep things fairly regulated for at least a month before deciding it isn't working.

However, Debbie has a really good point, and if your main concern is the "flab" on your stomach, I would definitely start measuring
    With a soft tape rather than weighing to check progress. I personally had not lost a lb in 2weeks prior to my issues last week, but had lost inches from various places, including my waistline.

Ill try that thx !
  • cvcman
    Options

I can't imagine why you would want to be under 140 lbs unless you are under 5'5 or so.

Perhaps at this point you need to stop obsessing over the scale number and focus more on building muscle. Increasing your lean body mass will help with bone strength as well as increase your metabolism, so you could splurge on the occasional pizza and wings, etc.

About 5'7" was about 5'9" but im shrinking :) Not sayin I WANT to be under 140 just saying that this site keeps telling me i WILL be under that given my diary
  • cvcman
    Options

Just remeasured 67 " barefoot so 5'7"
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    auddi, did someone pee in your Wheaties ? I wasnt having a "temper tantrum" I was just stating that I HAVE tried the eating more and it doesnt work for me...everytime I try it I gain !!!! I wasnt JUST basing it on last nights bing......

It's not for everyone. you'd think it was from the way it's mantra around here but it's definitely not true for everyone. the real message should be make sure you're not at too huge a deficit because losing weight too fast isn't healthy. but that isn't as appealing as JUST EAT MORE.

the whole your metabolism will slow down thing is hocus. you have to be eating VERY low calories before that is even a little true.
  • cvcman
    Options
    auddi, did someone pee in your Wheaties ? I wasnt having a "temper tantrum" I was just stating that I HAVE tried the eating more and it doesnt work for me...everytime I try it I gain !!!! I wasnt JUST basing it on last nights bing......

It's not for everyone. you'd think it was from the way it's mantra around here but it's definitely not true for everyone. the real message should be make sure you're not at too huge a deficit because losing weight too fast isn't healthy. but that isn't as appealing as JUST EAT MORE.

the whole your metabolism will slow down thing is hocus. you have to be eating VERY low calories before that is even a little true.

Amazing how many different opinions and all think they are right :)