Do you men really want a low maintenance woman?

Options

Replies

• YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    It really depends what you mean by high maintenance.

However I will say... a high quality woman is worth and deserves high maintenance.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I mean, really? Whether it's the monetary cost or time savings, do you really think you'd be happier with a low maintenance woman? All I hear is complaining about how much a haircut/color costs or how much time it takes to straighten hair, put on makeup, etc. I'm just wondering. Only about 2% of us can get away with being naturally pretty. We all need a little help.

Thoughts?

Now for my serious answer.

For me, I appreciate a woman who takes a reasonable amount of pride in her appearance. I like it when their hair is straightened or curled, when they smell nice whenever their hair moves, and wearing clothing that flatters them. However, I do NOT like when a woman has to get dolled up for a quick run to the grocery store or to go through the drive-thru. I also do not like having to wait on her to finish getting ready. I am sorry, but you are now wasting MY time at that point and need to be more considerate. Get up earlier to get ready. And don't leave your stuff all over the counter.

The part about how much a haircut/color costs gave me pause. Looking at it from a single perspective, I expect the girl I am dating to foot the costs of her own beautification. I am not there to take care of her. Then I thought maybe you are speaking as a married woman. In that case, it depends on whether or not she is a stay at home wife/mom and if not, whether we combine finances or not. If she is a stay at home wife/mom or if she is in the workforce and there is a household budget, I think this sort of thing should be reasonably discussed and hair/make up be made a budget line item. But if you work and keep finances seperate, then it is your own deal to finance.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    We don't care much as long as you let us watch sports and get a little freaky in the bedroom....Other than that we really don't care

And make a helluva sammich!
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    we went away this weekend. i brought shampoo... and a comb... and a ponytail to tie my hair up. i took a shower, towel dried my hair and put it up in a ponytail. i brushed my teeth and put on some lip gloss. that was it. my hubz thought i was beautiful. i was ready to go somewhere in under 10 minutes... head to toe! and my avatar... is proof positive!!!
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My first thought at this title was 'DON'T ANSWER THAT, IT'S A TRAP!'

Which basically means I think the answer should be a resounding yes. Because really, men just love a woman who is completely wrapped up in her appearance, constantly asks him loaded questions and criticizes everything about him. Including how he spends his money, his appearance and everything else he does, thinks or says, don't they?

Yeah, gimme some of that. *rolls eyes*

Don't blame men for female vanity. We did that all by ourselves and we've trained them well to respond to it. Unless you're suggesting every woman stop obsessing about her and everybody else's appearance, the 'there's beauty in everything' is just a trite trap to make men incriminate themselves. Which thankfully most of them didn't far for.

In my experience, men could care less about the little details. They don't even notice them most of them. It's women who obsess over every little damned thing.
  • A_nonymous2
    A_nonymous2 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I don't think of high maintenance or low maintenance in terms of beauty regimen. I think of it in terms of expectations and how much the woman wants the man to do for her, especially if she never reciprocates.

For example, the person who said a guy has to pay for his GF to have her hair done - to me that is high maintenance. Or, if the woman always expects the man to take her to expensive dinners, buy her expensive jewelry, etc. - to me, that is high maintenance.

I don't think men like that kind of high maintenance...

AH! Okay, so the first paragraph is more what I meant. . .

I'm cracking up at you all - really do have some pent up anger about this topic...
  • JessieMaeH82
    JessieMaeH82 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    During the previous meeting of the Intergalactic Male Hive Mind, we voted and determined: Yes.

I love this! Too Cute!
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot of money at the salon, I am financially independent. I can also roll out of bed and throw on some eye liner and yoga pants and roll out.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    do you and find a guy who likes you for you? Just a thought...

Amen to this... Be who you are and do whatever makes you feel beautiful and if the man don't like who you are then there are plenty more out there!
  • jorpa99
    Options
    I wore sweats a tshirt and my hair in loose thrown together bun on my first date with my hubby (I was also sick as a dog) and he is still here 16 years later. I don't even think I own make up. And yes I might not be the most gorgeous girl out there but he loves me and I must be doing something right cuz we are still completely in love with each other:)
  • Carlyannabelle
    Carlyannabelle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Just don't be high maintenance in terms of being emotionally needy and codependent, and I'll buy you whatever you want.

How YOU doin?? :flowerforyou:
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    sweet baby jesus, yes, we want a low maintenance woman.

if i can be honest...

no, we don't care what you're wearing to dinner.
    no, we don't know if those shoes match your dress.
    we don't know what a clutch is (unless it's the kind in the car).
    no, we don't care about your make up. we're freaking hungry. hurry. up.

You say this, until I don't brush my hair or change out of my gym clothes before you drag me to the Palm for a steak.

Men don't want a high maintenance woman. You know, until they do.

Pshhh, if I'm paying for a steak at the Palm I better be getting something in return. Just saying. In which case, I still don't care if you're in your gym clothes.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    No, we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE high maintenance. Please tell me more about the new Ulta in town.

There's a new Ulta?!?

tumblr_inline_mrtakboWx61qz4rgp.gif
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Happily married for 5 years (together for 7) and have been SUPER low maintenance since about day 5 LOL. I used to spend hours getting ready (including 1+hrs straightening my super thick hair) only to hear my hubby say that the best my hair looks is when I just leave it long, loose and curly. He also said he can't really tell when I wear makeup because even when I do, I keep it as natural as possible... so most of the time, I don't bother.

Keep this in mind... do you know how many chemicals you're putting into your body everyday wearing all that makeup? Eventually, it bleaches out your natural skin tone and you look like a ghost without it. Do your body a favor, use a natural moisturizer and lip gloss... leave it at that. Skip the rest of that crap. Just my 2cents.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Alos, I think a lot more than 2% of women can get away with being low-maintenance, but they don't believe they can, so they spend hours and hours being high-maintenance. And some of them come out of it looking worse than without all the makeup and super-processed hair.

Just sayin'.

This! :flowerforyou:

I don't wear make-up anymore, and I always thought it was silly. I get around one haircut per year, and I trim it myself the rest of the year. I just can't be bothered, it's all superficial and not worth my time.

I find most women look better without make-up.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Unless you're naturally beautiful, you're screwed! jk.

Fuuuuuuuuuu spending hours getting ready, I'd rather live life outside my bathroom.
    Find someone who appreciates you for who you are.
    Get "dressed up" once or twice a week and for special occasions.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't think of high maintenance or low maintenance in terms of beauty regimen. I think of it in terms of expectations and how much the woman wants the man to do for her, especially if she never reciprocates.

For example, the person who said a guy has to pay for his GF to have her hair done - to me that is high maintenance. Or, if the woman always expects the man to take her to expensive dinners, buy her expensive jewelry, etc. - to me, that is high maintenance.

I don't think men like that kind of high maintenance...

AH! Okay, so the first paragraph is more what I meant. . .

I'm cracking up at you all - really do have some pent up anger about this topic...
    I have some for one simple reason: I think I've spent at least five years of my life waiting on my ridiculously high-maintenance best friend to get her butt in gear and get ready to go anywhere. It annoys the crap out of me.

She's been divorced twice and engaged once in the middle. Men last with her about three years. I think that answers your question.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm low maintenance. Don't even own a hair dryer. Men love it. Plus, low expectations means they're beyond thrilled when I do something simple like wear a dress. It's easier on everyone.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    This is an example of what I am talking about:

The following photo of Scar Jo was used in a Cosmo poll of what looks men like the best. This was rated number one with this quote attached:
    "Her makeup enhances her features but it still looks really natural. Plus, her shiny lips makes me want to kiss her." —Kevin, 28

This look required a wardrobe stylist, a hair stylist, and a makeup stylist. She has plenty of makeup on and product and dye in her hair. If this is what men consider natural then I just don't put a lot of faith into the popular male opinion of what is low maintenance.

2ex34w7.jpg
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    we went away this weekend. i brought shampoo... and a comb... and a ponytail to tie my hair up. i took a shower, towel dried my hair and put it up in a ponytail. i brushed my teeth and put on some lip gloss. that was it. my hubz thought i was beautiful. i was ready to go somewhere in under 10 minutes... head to toe! and my avatar... is proof positive!!!

I looked at your other profile photos, and I can see why you can afford to have a low maintenance routine. You take ACTUAL good care of yourself. You exercise, and because of it, you naturally look amazing. Very little enhancement needed. And holy Mary mother of God I wanna look like you!!!