No Skinny For This Girl

Replies

• I don't see why anyone - skinny or not - should be offended. The OP doesn't have the aim 'to be skinny' and regardless of whether her reasoning behind that goal or lack there of is correct, it's completely down to her whether she aims for a skinny body or not.

I'm with you OP. Not for the reason that I CAN'T be skinny. I don't WANT to be skinny. I want a frame with a little more flesh, I want more profound curves but I want to be strong and healthy too, so off with some weight! My family can't understand how I'll be happy losing 2 stone and not 4 stone. I tell them - my body, my happiness, my life. They don't need to 'get it' or even remotely understand it, all they need to know is that I'm working towards good health and happiness and to that end they should be happy.

OP. I'm happy for you. Keep doing what makes you happy.

THAT is all.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    I hate this post, that is all.

Why?

I love that you have a realistic outlook. You know what your body is capable of and you are making the best of it. I too have broad shoulders and although I've never been athletic, it's nice to think I could be that.

Because she could have posted about what she wants without saying she doesn't want to be skinny. Why else mention skinny other than to put it down.

She didn't put anything down. All she said is that is not her goal. If that's your goal, fine. Nothing against you.

When people talk about their goal why talk about what's not your goal?

Maybe she doesn't want to be a ballerina either or a 100 other things, why not put that?

Because it's popular to pick on skinny.

So what if someone posts that they don't want to be fat? Is that picking on fat people?

:noway:

If a skinny person posted that I would think they're being out of order.

If a fat person posted that it's about what they are and are wanting to change etc, so that's acceptable

I am not fat now and have no desire to be fat in the future.

How is that out of order? :huh:

In fact there is a whole section on this forum for "Maintaining Weight' which implies people who at a weight they like and no have desire to put on more/are actively taking steps to prevent their weight from changing. ie: Don't want to get fat. Is that whole section offensive?

Why would anyone that is skinny or not overweight want to create a post/thread about how they don't want to be fat/obese?

It just doesn't make any sense, what would anyone be trying to achieve with that?? To show off? To make fat people feel crap? I can't see anything positive that would come of it.

Please feel free to tell me what I'm missing...

To seek other people with the same goal, the same as anything else.

"I lost X amount of pounds and never going back", (looking for friends also in maintenance) is not an uncommon theme around here.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Wow, is it always like this? I'm new here and a little surprised by some of the snarkiness.

People on here take **** way too seriously, it's better to just laugh at them.
  • adnamalegna
    adnamalegna Posts: 203 Member
    I like my boobs, and I like my butt, but I am making my butt *better* by running, and squats, and all that stuff- and my boobs may shrink some, but if my tummy shrinks too and people call me "skinny" I'll take that. "Skinny" to MANY formerly fat girls is the highest compliment. It's all in context IMO. Am I trying for "skinny" ..no. I'm trying for fit, healthy, sexier and toned.

And hey, there's always a boob job to reward myself after if I DO lose boobage.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I wanna be skinny! (hence the name, haha)

I have broad shoulders and large "great-for-childbearing-hips", as my doc calls them. You would think that I was meant to be thick and I do look big-boned. However, because I was once very thin, I know that I have the ability to be a skinny chick. Hopefully history really does repeat itself and by me working towards a healthier lifestyle, I will achieve a leaner body in the process (fingers crossed!). I will put in the effort and change the way I eat.

Hard work and determination goes a long way. It's nice to not have a goal to just be skinny, but to be healthy as well. We may all have different aesthetic goals, but what we all have in common here on MFP (hopefully) is the drive to be healthy/healthier.

If my doctor called my hips childbearing hips I would find a new doctor on that same day.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    PBT, you be quiet. I've always been skinny but I'm still strong and capable in advanced yoga, handstand push ups, swimming, climbing trees and so on. I suck at running but that's about it.

Was that geared at me?? I never claimed skinny and strong were mutually exclusive. The opposite, in fact. I just don't think someone should eliminate something because they don't think it's possible for them. I've been proven wrong - by myself and others - often enough to know better.
  • SweetTrouble_
    SweetTrouble_ Posts: 933 Member
    I bet she hates it because anyone can be "skinny" and "lean" if they eat the right way and do the right exercises. A lot of women, and people in general, use the "build" of their body as an excuse to why they aren't even going to try to be "thin" or to lose weight at all. And before worrying about whether or not you can be buff or thin, you should focus on losing extra fat first because that is what is unhealthy for your body. A lot of people get caught up on that thought when for now the main focus should be losing the fat, helping your heart and body and then worrying about how tone or thin you can get. I don't think there is anything wrong with someone wanted to be toned and muscular over being thin, if both are done in a healthy manner.

Wrong. I know Stacy well and she is very lean and fit. What she is saying - as have others in this thread - is a woman can still be "skinny" regardless of what hand the genetic lottery dealt her. Sure, some are more inclined towards adding muscle than others (true for men as well as women) and some are predisposed to look skinnier yada yada yada. Point is that automatically saying you can't do something because your body isn't built that way is an excuse that is wrong as often as it's right.

I don't want to be skinny either. Problem?

post-19250-Archer-Deal-with-it-gif-JWdp.gif

No. I could not care less what your goals are or aren't. I'm just correcting a misconception about my friend's post.

Oh I see. It's just your friend who cares about other people's goals, you're just here to white knight it up.

Carry on then.

Pretty much.
    :heart:
    Well that escalated quickly, OP shouldn't sell herself short saying she can't be a certain way. And thin girls can also be strong and athletic.
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    its not about being skinny anyway its about being healthy so good for you and whatever you want to do. who wants to be skinny anyway?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member

Why would anyone that is skinny or not overweight want to create a post/thread about how they don't want to be fat/obese?

It just doesn't make any sense, what would anyone be trying to achieve with that?? To show off? To make fat people feel crap? I can't see anything positive that would come of it.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-12716-1369949373-1_zpsb5986943.gif
  • Achrya

Well that escalated quickly, OP shouldn't sell herself short saying she can't be a certain way. And thin girls can also be strong and athletic.

I would say people trying to make the OP feel bad or accusing her of selling herself short for not wanting to be skinny are the ones causing escalation.

Not wanting to look a certain way isn't selling yourself short. We could all be ripped fitness models if we wanted to; are we all selling ourselves short by not doing so?
  • penelepurr
    penelepurr Posts: 204 Member
    I've always been athletic and I get the "baby hips" comment all the time. I don't know if I could be skinny (and when I say skinny/thin, I mean those girls that are born small- no curves, little body fat)- but I don't want to be. I have definitely lost fat and I love how I look, but I love having muscle and love having curves. I'm skinny compared to what I used to be but I still have my meat. Wouldn't have it any other way :)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    IN for [insert body type different from your own] bashing!

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    I bet she hates it because anyone can be "skinny" and "lean" if they eat the right way and do the right exercises. A lot of women, and people in general, use the "build" of their body as an excuse to why they aren't even going to try to be "thin" or to lose weight at all. And before worrying about whether or not you can be buff or thin, you should focus on losing extra fat first because that is what is unhealthy for your body. A lot of people get caught up on that thought when for now the main focus should be losing the fat, helping your heart and body and then worrying about how tone or thin you can get. I don't think there is anything wrong with someone wanted to be toned and muscular over being thin, if both are done in a healthy manner.

Wrong. I know Stacy well and she is very lean and fit. What she is saying - as have others in this thread - is a woman can still be "skinny" regardless of what hand the genetic lottery dealt her. Sure, some are more inclined towards adding muscle than others (true for men as well as women) and some are predisposed to look skinnier yada yada yada. Point is that automatically saying you can't do something because your body isn't built that way is an excuse that is wrong as often as it's right.

I don't want to be skinny either. Problem?

post-19250-Archer-Deal-with-it-gif-JWdp.gif

No. I could not care less what your goals are or aren't. I'm just correcting a misconception about my friend's post.

Oh I see. It's just your friend who cares about other people's goals, you're just here to white knight it up.

Carry on then.

Pretty much.

I'd like to take a second to point out: there's a difference between inferences and implications.

In this case, it appears you inferred OP meant skinny girls couldn't also be strong and athletic, despite her not saying those words. She wrote that she's not aiming for a very low weight or body fat %, but more a healthier physique, even if it's a higher weight/body fat % than others would consider "thin," "attractive," whatever.

Hope this clears things up :flowerforyou:
  • Lol wow... the girl is just stating that SHE doesn't want to be skinny. YES, In her mind "skinny" may be different then how you perceive it. AND WHO THE F*** CARES. It's nothing against you if you think your "skinny" or if you think she could be "skinny" (by your terms). We are here for support, not to ridicule others. Get over it.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member

Why?

I love that you have a realistic outlook. You know what your body is capable of and you are making the best of it. I too have broad shoulders and although I've never been athletic, it's nice to think I could be that.

Because she could have posted about what she wants without saying she doesn't want to be skinny. Why else mention skinny other than to put it down.

She didn't put anything down. All she said is that is not her goal. If that's your goal, fine. Nothing against you.

Maybe she doesn't want to be a ballerina either or a 100 other things, why not put that?

So what if someone posts that they don't want to be fat? Is that picking on fat people?

If a skinny person posted that I would think they're being out of order.

If a fat person posted that it's about what they are and are wanting to change etc, so that's acceptable

I am not fat now and have no desire to be fat in the future.

How is that out of order? :huh:

In fact there is a whole section on this forum for "Maintaining Weight' which implies people who at a weight they like and no have desire to put on more/are actively taking steps to prevent their weight from changing. ie: Don't want to get fat. Is that whole section offensive?

"I lost X amount of pounds and never going back", (looking for friends also in maintenance) is not an uncommon theme around here.

I've tried to explain my point, clearly I haven't done a very good job as you're repeating yourself. Your examples are not what I'm talking about!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member

Why?

60e799bf-7e45-4103-87f4-ad28938c7afa_zps3c6955f5.jpg
  • RenshiG
    RenshiG Posts: 71 Member
    I :heart: this post. And agree completely! When the inevitable zombie invasion happens I want to be able to out run, out wrestle, and out climb them! :drinker:
    Sweet, you're totally on my ZAST (Zombie Apocalypse Survival Team). I'll be right behind you :bigsmile:

Wouldn't you want to be right in front of her..... given you are being chased by zombies?
    Just saying....... :huh:
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    What a load of old tosh.

I have broad shoulders and wide childbearing hips and guess what??? I'm skinny!! I'm also strong and lean with lots of muscle.

Taa daa!!

Really... Hi, how's it going?
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Lol wow... the girl is just stating that SHE doesn't want to be skinny. YES, In her mind "skinny" may be different then how you perceive it. AND WHO THE F*** CARES. It's nothing against you if you think your "skinny" or if you think she could be "skinny" (by your terms). We are here for support, not to ridicule others. Get over it.

Welcome to the land of My Fitness Pal forums. People get butthurt about things rather easily. Just check out the "You are fat" thread. There's at least 4 of these kinds of threads a day, added into threads containing misinformation, hilarious troll posts and GIFs galore. Really the best thing to do is just sit back and watch the drama unfold.
  • Achrya

I've tried to explain my point, clearly I haven't done a very good job as you're repeating yourself. Your examples are not what I'm talking about!

But my examples are exactly what this thread is about. The OP is looking for other women who share her goal, just the same as someone who is not overweight would seek out people who share their goals or someone who is underweight and gaining is seeking people who share those goals.

It's not that you aren't explaining yourself well, it's just that I refuse to veer away from what the OP is doing to play the "But it's so Offensive!' game with you. OP doesn't want to be skinny because that's her preference. She wants friends who share the preference. That's all.
This discussion has been closed.