Are u aware of BB hip thrusts work glutes more than squats?

Options

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Joy-joy and anh720: stop panicking 70lb is really not that heavy - this would be a fairly easy starting place for deads as well. They're not saying you should start OHP or squatting with it so take it easy. No offence intended ladies, try it out before you go berserk - it is really quite light and you would have a hard time injuring yourself with it. My teenage daughters started out a LOT heavier than this and they are fine :)

OP haven't tried these yet (relatively new to lifting)' thanks for the info.

Who says I'm panicking? I have not once said "not" to do these, have I?

ETA: My point is I don't care if you started off at 70 or 90 or 200...that's you and so glad you were able to just load that up and go (because that's what it sounds like). MFP IS full of people starting out that won't think to test it out and will just load that up to 70 and go for it....and that'll either go well or end horribly.

Sorry if I picked you ladies up wrong - if you weren't worried about the weight (like I say, it's light so I was trying to reassure - this is a support forum?) then I guess you were just having a go at a guy who sounded very knowledgeable and helpful.

Like I said, I am new to lifting too but most starter books/programmes give 30 or 40 kg as a good starting weight (after warm up sets with the empty bar) for these kind of lifts - this ties in nicely to 70lb.

So if you're not not panicking, WTF?

Is having a discussion or/and disagreeing with what is said or how it is delivered new to you?

No just seemed silly is all. I'll leave you alone - try out the exercise with neoprene dumbbells so you don't put your back out. Nitey nite x
    excuse you?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I started hip thrusts with the unloaded bar. I guess this means I'm not normal/suck/should just stick to neoprene dumbells. Better just give up now.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    I am a huge fan of the barbell glute bridge.....however I do think that there is a proper progression for a person new to the lift.

IMO it's important to start with bodyweight glute bridges....get the form down, get used to pushing through your heels and using your glutes NOT your back. Once that is down, practice with the single leg version. From there I actually went to using plates on my abdomen....started off at 10lbs and worked my way up to 35lbs....beyond that it got uncomfortable for obvious reason :laugh:

It wasn't until that point though that I went into the barbell version. I have been doing them for some time and still feel like I need to progress more until moving to actual hip thrusts.

The effectiveness of this exercise is awesome. There is room for everything and you really can't debate the effectiveness of squats, deads, or lunges.....but this is another fantastic lower body exercise to add to the arsenal :drinker:
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    I am a huge fan of the barbell glute bridge.....however I do think that there is a proper progression for a person new to the lift.

IMO it's important to start with bodyweight glute bridges....get the form down, get used to pushing through your heels and using your glutes NOT your back. Once that is down, practice with the single leg version. From there I actually went to using plates on my abdomen....started off at 10lbs and worked my way up to 35lbs....beyond that it got uncomfortable for obvious reason :laugh:

It wasn't until that point though that I went into the barbell version. I have been doing them for some time and still feel like I need to progress more until moving to actual hip thrusts.

The effectiveness of this exercise is awesome. There is room for everything and you really can't debate the effectiveness of squats, deads, or lunges.....but this is another fantastic lower body exercise to add to the arsenal :drinker:
    excellent...thanks:flowerforyou:
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

:drinker: Love this :smile:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Thank you :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • Roopoo2
    Options
    oh yeah and another thing.

Make sure you use heavy weights (like in a compound movement) and use weights that keep you in the 6-12 rep range.

that means most women should probably start with 70+ pounds and men maybe 100+

Start? Seriously? So when someone hurts their back trying to start out so heavy are you going to be paying medical bills? That's really bad advice.
    Probably should not be using your back yo, and it isn't bad advice. So sorry, but you kind of walked into that one.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Easy Beach and Whierd...otherwise she might suggest you go use neoprene dumbbells too.

If I were not afraid it would roll down and crush my junk I would to start out with. Ain't no shame in starting light.

:laugh: :drinker:

I still start out with the bar when doing my warm up sets for squats. I don't get the **** measuring contest over starting with a heavier weight. I thought that stopped with the dudes in school. Now the ladies are in it? Maybe I'm just old.

With the exception of deadlifts (because of needing the bar off the ground) I start all of my lifts with an unloaded bar and gradually add weight. I could care less if someone finds it odd or gives me a patronizing look. It helps my muscles warm up and make sure my form is correct.

Pretty much everyone I've ever lifted with does the same. You prove what you need to on a competition platform, not in the gym. I do the same just to grease the groove and warm up my hips etc. It's all for lifting longevity.

I don't love glute bridges and BB hip thrusts. I'm also pretty indifferent to what Bret Contreras has proven with his various studies. I wouldn't say people shouldn't try them but I don't find them to be all that great.

Who knew a lift variation could cause such heated debate and dissension.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Easy Beach and Whierd...otherwise she might suggest you go use neoprene dumbbells too.

If I were not afraid it would roll down and crush my junk I would to start out with. Ain't no shame in starting light.

:laugh: :drinker:

I still start out with the bar when doing my warm up sets for squats. I don't get the **** measuring contest over starting with a heavier weight. I thought that stopped with the dudes in school. Now the ladies are in it? Maybe I'm just old.

With the exception of deadlifts (because of needing the bar off the ground) I start all of my lifts with an unloaded bar and gradually add weight. I could care less if someone finds it odd or gives me a patronizing look. It helps my muscles warm up and make sure my form is correct.

Pretty much everyone I've ever lifted with does the same. You prove what you need to on a competition platform, not in the gym. I do the same just to grease the groove and warm up my hips etc. It's all for lifting longevity.

I don't love glute bridges and BB hip thrusts. I'm also pretty indifferent to what Bret Contreras has proven with his various studies. I wouldn't say people shouldn't try them but I don't find them to be all that great.

Who knew a lift variation could cause such heated debate and dissension.

Yeah, other than a few minor issues in here, I do not see the need for arguing in here.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    oh yeah and another thing.

Make sure you use heavy weights (like in a compound movement) and use weights that keep you in the 6-12 rep range.

that means most women should probably start with 70+ pounds and men maybe 100+

Start? Seriously? So when someone hurts their back trying to start out so heavy are you going to be paying medical bills? That's really bad advice.

heavy is a realtive term and I said "probably" - 70 may be extremely heavy for you so yes... dont overdo it FOR YOU... just pick a weight that keeps you in the 6-12 rep range and for me that's 300-to-400 pounds on the hip thrust whereas that may be 30-to-40 pounds for you (but I'd doubt it)

70 lbs should not be heavy for a normal female. I am extremely petite (under 100 lbs and 4ft11) and started with 95 lbs...

People complaining about 70 lbs hip thrust are not used to pushing themselves and probably feel more comfortable with hip thrusting a 10 lb plate. lols

I am super small; I have rarely seen a female smaller than me and I started with 95 lbs... just the bar (45lbs) and 2 25 lb plates on each side... You need to push yourself when you work out. Majority of these people have no clue as to how to do that.

I can deadlift 325lb and squat ATG 260lb, and 135lb for reps is too heavy for me if using proper form...plus it hurts, so I would imagine that 95lb is too heavy for a lot of people.

Please do not belittle people who cannot do as much as you.
  • jstarz002
    Options
    Who cares about what me and Adam said about starting at 70 lbs?

If you watch Bret Contreras video on youtube he actually tells people to start with body weight. What I stated was only my opinion and nothing else. FOR ME, starting with 95 lbs was right. For me 135 lbs with good form now almost feels like air. I am not exaggerating; after going really heavy it feels super light.

Do whatever you want but eventually you will want to push yourself. Too many people are just going through the motions and you can tell. If you are doing the same weight after a month then you are not pushing yourself.....

If it takes you a month to get from body weight to a 25 lbs hip thrust then that is not normal. Sorry.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    That's lovely for you :flowerforyou:

oh, and /smh
  • whierd
    Options

If you watch Bret Contreras video on youtube he actually tells people to start with body weight. What I stated was only my opinion and nothing else. FOR ME, starting with 95 lbs was right. For me 135 lbs with good form now almost feels like air. I am not exaggerating; after going really heavy it feels super light.

Do whatever you want but eventually you will want to push yourself. Too many people are just going through the motions and you can tell. If you are doing the same weight after a month then you are not pushing yourself.....

If it takes you a month to get from body weight to a 25 lbs hip thrust then that is not normal. Sorry.

Uh...ok?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Can we all get back to basics and start with hip to hip thrusts?

*bowchickabowwow*

:love:

LOL

Depends. Is there a recommended starting weight for this movement that we can all argue about too?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Apparently you do.
  • whierd
    Options
    goats.gif
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    whierd i can't stop laughing...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    44006-come-at-me-bro-gif-uSvg.gif
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Yes; barbell squats are one of the compound moves you should do for dat *kitten*.

I laughed at this sentence more than I should have.