The Skinny on Obesity (or: "Calories are not created equal")

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    *sigh* How about this? I believe what I believe and you believe what you believe and we all go on our merry way? I never said anyone else should or should not do anything else. In *my* world added sugar is not a friend. I never tried to claim anything else.

All i know.. is if I eat added sugar I feel like crap, i can't sleep and I get a headache. I also crave more sugar. So.. I cut as much of it out as I can. That doesn't happen when it's sugar from fruit. And yes.. those 2 cookies i had last week.. (or whenever that was) gave me a headache. If it doesn't do that for you. Then good for you. I will maintain my belief that added sugar is bad, esp in the quantity most people get it in. (since it's in pretty much everything you don't make yourself). You can maintain whatever you want.

And no.. not pre-diabetic, diabetic or anything. I get tested for it often because diabetes runs in my family.

I was not trying to "diary shame" you..just pointing out you eat added sugar...which based on what I can see is a relatively new thing since you probably just started the 17 day diet...if that is why...know this...c3 and c4 add in other foods and maitenance says...and I am quoting from the book...

"on the weekends eat 4 of your favorite meals"...doesn't matter if it's brown sugar pork chops or a hot fudge sunday...even the author knows it is not reasonable to expect people to reject the food they like and/or love to eat...as it is not sustainable .
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    snip

Whenever you post a JLaw gif, I totally skip the text and just watch her do the same thing a hundred times in a row.

Testing this theory.

659.gif
    The McDouble Down is an abomination of nature.
    82e.gif

tumblr_lkfmzwzfCY1qagpor.jpg?1305502885
  • jonnythan
    Options
    What I find most amusing about the the sugar threads and the sugar thread addicts is looking at people's diaries. With the exception of the chick who eats candy for breakfast, the vast majority of the people who refute sugar is a problem, aren't actually eating it. Oh, I know there is the occasional small piece of candy, the quarter cup of ice cream, small portion of rice pudding, but on balance, they eat good food. Balanced diets without a lot of junk - even 1200 calorie diets! Now, before I get blasted, I have a life (at least I try). I could only look at so many diaries and a couple days each. Props to the guy who was in for a bowl of ice cream. He actually ate a bowl of ice cream.

If you feel you are the exception to the above generalization - I am sure you are and preemptively believe you.

Aren't actually eating it, or are eating it in moderation?

3EGP6.gif

What kind of lunatic wants a moderate amount of ice cream? Great, 200 calories of ice cream. A whole 1/4 of a pint. That really hit the spot. Yawn.

See that's the problem. Who wants a 1/4 cup. If you look at the container on the Ben & Jerry's ice cream that is a serving size. And most are around 300 calories. So by your logic it doesn't count if I don't eat the whole thing?

And yes that does satisfy me. You know why? Because I can have 1/4 cup today, and tomorrow and the next day.

And in case you think I'm talking some bs here is my freezer. I won't even show you my Count Chocula and Pop Tart closet.

20131004_221731_zps005c5712.jpg

So you're mentioning how a 1/4 cup of ice cream is a serving, and you have 8 pints of B&J's in your freezer?

Do you have your groceries airlifted to you?

I do the same thing. I often have 4-8 different flavors of ice cream in my freezer. I typically eat 1 serving at a time. Variety is nice.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    This thread accomplished one thing.

It proves you can't have too many Jennifer Lawrence Gifs.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Yup. My thoughts exactly. I like to know that I have options to satisfy whatever taste I'm looking for. In the morning I may log Caramel but when I get home I may be feeling some chocolate. It's better to be prepared than not.

I need to be sure to have a flavor that'll go with the type of Pop-Tart I'm having.

It's like hot dogs and buns. They come packaged in different quantities.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Fact!
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    What I find most amusing about the the sugar threads and the sugar thread addicts is looking at people's diaries. With the exception of the chick who eats candy for breakfast, the vast majority of the people who refute sugar is a problem, aren't actually eating it. Oh, I know there is the occasional small piece of candy, the quarter cup of ice cream, small portion of rice pudding, but on balance, they eat good food. Balanced diets without a lot of junk - even 1200 calorie diets! Now, before I get blasted, I have a life (at least I try). I could only look at so many diaries and a couple days each. Props to the guy who was in for a bowl of ice cream. He actually ate a bowl of ice cream.

If you feel you are the exception to the above generalization - I am sure you are and preemptively believe you.

Aren't actually eating it, or are eating it in moderation?

3EGP6.gif

What kind of lunatic wants a moderate amount of ice cream? Great, 200 calories of ice cream. A whole 1/4 of a pint. That really hit the spot. Yawn.

See that's the problem. Who wants a 1/4 cup. If you look at the container on the Ben & Jerry's ice cream that is a serving size. And most are around 300 calories. So by your logic it doesn't count if I don't eat the whole thing?

And yes that does satisfy me. You know why? Because I can have 1/4 cup today, and tomorrow and the next day.

And in case you think I'm talking some bs here is my freezer. I won't even show you my Count Chocula and Pop Tart closet.

20131004_221731_zps005c5712.jpg

So you're mentioning how a 1/4 cup of ice cream is a serving, and you have 8 pints of B&J's in your freezer?

Do you have your groceries airlifted to you?

I do the same thing. I often have 4-8 different flavors of ice cream in my freezer. I typically eat 1 serving at a time. Variety is nice.

Yup. My thoughts exactly. I like to know that I have options to satisfy whatever taste I'm looking for. In the morning I may log Caramel but when I get home I may be feeling some chocolate. It's better to be prepared than not.

This chain needs some JLaw, too.
    772.gif

I'm slowly building up an ice cream stash in the deep freeze. Every time Schwanns visits... A new half-gallon of deliciousness.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

Fact!

What if they're tenuously related to the topic?
    60c.gif
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Pictures of and commentary on the sugary foods you eat are so upsetting to everyone who try to avoid sugar! Said no one, ever.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I am not interested in quibbling over how much or how little sugar people eat or don't eat - moderation or not. Nor am I the guy who logged a quarter cup of ice cream - for real, I didn't make that up. You want to step up about how much sugar you eat, feel free - be loud and proud. Like I said, I don't really give a **** about what other people eat. I care what I eat. I may brag, but it won't be over anything in my freezer.

Sure does seem like you care.

I have plenty to brag about. Today it's ice cream. Tomorrow? The skies the limit!!!

I am quite sure you do. And who doesn't admire a freezer full of ice cream? Seriously

I admire it and envy it, ive only got five different kinds in my freezer (gotta have room for all that chicken breast.) Makes me wonder if I'm missing out by being anti skinny cow. Is that stuff even real ice cream?
  • chloeRichardson1
    Options
    This is why I only eat the left twix. The right twix calories cause cancer of the diabeetus.

That was way too funny
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    pony_gross.gif
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    *sigh* How about this? I believe what I believe and you believe what you believe and we all go on our merry way? I never said anyone else should or should not do anything else. In *my* world added sugar is not a friend. I never tried to claim anything else.

All i know.. is if I eat added sugar I feel like crap, i can't sleep and I get a headache. I also crave more sugar. So.. I cut as much of it out as I can. That doesn't happen when it's sugar from fruit. And yes.. those 2 cookies i had last week.. (or whenever that was) gave me a headache. If it doesn't do that for you. Then good for you. I will maintain my belief that added sugar is bad, esp in the quantity most people get it in. (since it's in pretty much everything you don't make yourself). You can maintain whatever you want.

And no.. not pre-diabetic, diabetic or anything. I get tested for it often because diabetes runs in my family.

I was not trying to "diary shame" you..just pointing out you eat added sugar...which based on what I can see is a relatively new thing since you probably just started the 17 day diet...if that is why...know this...c3 and c4 add in other foods and maitenance says...and I am quoting from the book...

"on the weekends eat 4 of your favorite meals"...doesn't matter if it's brown sugar pork chops or a hot fudge sunday...even the author knows it is not reasonable to expect people to reject the food they like and/or love to eat...as it is not sustainable .

yep. it's a constant struggle. i don't always realize what i'm eating has the added sugar in it until it's too late and i had cut out most of it prior to the 17 day diet. I only started it, because it is chock full of the food I already eat, so fairly easy to follow. I'm aware of what the author says. that does not mean that I am going to eat those foods or that i would even want to. I don't eat enough.. i think that's where the unhealthy choice came from the other day. I was starving and needed something quick, so i grabbed those stupid bars and the cookies (did it twice actually if i remember right) My son is currently bulking so he needs all that stuff in the house or I wouldn't even have it.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I am quite sure you do. And who doesn't admire a freezer full of ice cream? Seriously
    [/quote]

I admire it and envy it, ive only got five different kinds in my freezer (gotta have room for all that chicken breast.) Makes me wonder if I'm missing out by being anti skinny cow. Is that stuff even real ice cream?
    [/quote]

Gawd, who cares? The mint ice cream sandwiches are great. Even better when you eat two.

edit: I suck at quotes.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

yep. it's a constant struggle. i don't always realize what i'm eating has the added sugar in it until it's too late and i had cut out most of it prior to the 17 day diet. I only started it, because it is chock full of the food I already eat, so fairly easy to follow. I'm aware of what the author says. that does not mean that I am going to eat those foods or that i would even want to. I don't eat enough.. i think that's where the unhealthy choice came from the other day. I was starving and needed something quick, so i grabbed those stupid bars and the cookies (did it twice actually if i remember right) My son is currently bulking so he needs all that stuff in the house or I wouldn't even have it.

Prepackaged/high-sugar foods are required for a bulk?

And yet you acknowledged that you yourself aren't eating enough calories.

Might I suggest that you eat more prepackaged/high-sugar foods to hit your calorie totals?
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Might I suggest that you eat more prepackaged/high-sugar foods to hit your calorie totals?

Perhaps you missed the fact that sugar causes her issues (e.g. headaches).

Although with these forums, I'm starting to think it's intentional.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

:raises hand: I did that the other night, I think. After dinner, I wanted something sweet. I went and had a couple of spoonfuls of chocolate marshmallow ice cream to satisfy that sweet tooth. I don't know how much that really was, but about 1/4 pint sounds about right. Completely satisfying.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Perhaps you missed the fact that sugar causes her issues (e.g. headaches).

Although with these forums, I'm starting to think it's intentional.

Anybody who thinks that you need to eat sugary foods to bulk has obviously never heard of peanut butter...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Gawd, who cares? The mint ice cream sandwiches are great. Even better when you eat two.

edit: I suck at quotes.

I mean...I care. That's why I said something.