Your dog

Options

Replies

• upscalelifedownscalebutt
    Options
    To the OP, also a huge peeve of mine. I was out riding my horse the other day and a pit bull charged out off a porch and came within inches of taking a chunk out of my poor horse.

How is the pitbull still alive? I don't ask that sarcastically. Any of our horses would have killed the dog if it came within striking distance with intent to bite/attack, especially if they had a rider to protect. They regularly take down coyotes, rattle snakes, and have warned dogs that charged, but stayed a respectful distance away. The only thing they have ever backed down from was a cougar.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I have a 200lbs Great Dane. I let him loose after runners once in a while just to make sure they get a good workout

That's the spirit help keep that heart rate up... FEEL THE BURN!!!

(yes I'm kidding before anyone gets bent out of shape)
  • tc41586
    tc41586 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    How coincidental, this happened to my husband when he was out running last night too. I hate when it happens. I wish our HOA had a leash requirement for dogs in the front yard.

ETA: It's usually not about a fear of vicious animals. I just think it's common courtesy to not let your dog run up to whoever, especially if they're running.

What state do you live in? Most of them have leash laws that would override your HOA's regulations.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    1) Love the dog pics! I've owned dogs for most of my life. My last dog was a Doberman that appeared scary as hell (110 pounds) but was very friendly and intelligent. I invested a lot of time and money in training him properly, never let him roam, and never had any incidences during his 10 years where he scared or hurt anyone because I couldn't control him. Pet Ownership 101.

2) Making excuses for undisciplined animals and/or belittling people who reserve the right to reasonably defend themselves from potential violence from your animals is pathetic. If your dog is out of your yard without a leash, you’re wrong. If you are unwilling or unable to invest the time and effort to properly train the pet that you claim to love, perhaps a goldfish or a hamster is better suited to your capabilities.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Over the years, dogs have evolved to be able to read human emotions very well. The best thing you can do when facing an aggressive dog is to give the dog a huge toothy smile, and talk loudly with very short commands. This will let the dog know you're friendly and almost always put the dog at ease.
  • progressnotperfection84
    Options
    Bumping to read later
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    My big dog does scare folks going by, I must say. He's my protection dog. He scares them from a lead attached to a very big ground stake or myself, but he does his thing and tells them to watch out for his big bad self and not come on in to his yard unless I say so.

If it's somebody who is supposed to come up, we have commands for that, lol. I promise :)

My neighborhood gets a lot of break-ins because the county cops can't get everywhere in time. One morning I was in the shower, and a guy tried to break in to my house. Turns out my neighbor saw him in the bushes and was on the phone with 911. He broke into the screened porch, which is where my guy was sleeping at the time. The neighbor said the guy limped/ran away in terror to his friend's getaway car. The cops showed up 15 minutes later and said my dog needed a steak, lol.

I get some crap sometimes by people thinking my dog is mean from the street. He's just guarding, though. If y'all see dogs that you swear are mean and they are far away from you, be cautious but don't think something awful is going on. I'm the only house on my street who gets no more break-ins.

It's a big secret but my guy is a big teddy bear ;) He loves it when I tell him someone is OK. He likes people, but I'm not going to announce that to the criminal element out here, lol.
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I have 2 little white bichipoo's

My smallest one got out the front door once and started hopping around some old guy that was walking by the door.
    My dog tugged on the guys pant leg
    The guy went hysterical, fell on the ground and started screaming that he was being eaten alive and howling like crazy.
    My dog was scared and ran back in the house
    I told the guy if he didnt get up and leave Id give him something to howl about.
    The guy shut up and left.

Lesson learned though and I put my boys on leash for just such psychopathic behavior.... stupid humans

Wait, so, you are blaming an old man for getting hysterical because your dog got out and scared him by approaching him and using teeth to tug his pant leg? Yes, you are right...stupid humans. :noway:

Yes, the guy is a coward and an idiot.... I should of let my poodle eat him because Darwinism has obviously failed in that human being
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I have 2 little white bichipoo's

My smallest one got out the front door once and started hopping around some old guy that was walking by the door.
    My dog tugged on the guys pant leg
    The guy went hysterical, fell on the ground and started screaming that he was being eaten alive and howling like crazy.
    My dog was scared and ran back in the house
    I told the guy if he didnt get up and leave Id give him something to howl about.
    The guy shut up and left.

Lesson learned though and I put my boys on leash for just such psychopathic behavior.... stupid humans

You sir, are trolling.

lol, nah
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    1) Love the dog pics! I've owned dogs for most of my life. My last dog was a Doberman that appeared scary as hell (110 pounds) but was very friendly and intelligent. I invested a lot of time and money in training him properly, never let him roam, and never had any incidences during his 10 years where he scared or hurt anyone because I couldn't control him. Pet Ownership 101.

2) Making excuses for undisciplined animals and/or belittling people who reserve the right to reasonably defend themselves from potential violence from your animals is pathetic. If your dog is out of your yard without a leash, you’re wrong. If you are unwilling or unable to invest the time and effort to properly train the pet that you claim to love, perhaps a goldfish or a hamster is better suited to your capabilities.

Yes exactly!
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Because when I'm on his back, he does what he's trained to do, which is follow my cues. It happened so quickly, it's a wonder there wasn't a wreck. But he just kept walking, and fortunately, an oncoming car encouraged the dog to return to it's porch.

However, every dog that's barked at us since has put him a little on edge, and he has NEVER been frightened of dogs. Had the car not been coming, I'd have turned him and let him chase the dog off, and he would have been fine, but the opportunity wasn't there this time.

When he's at liberty in his pasture, he will chase down and attempt to annhilate any dog except "our" dog. Blue is the only canine he tolerates in his space.
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Over the years, dogs have evolved to be able to read human emotions very well. The best thing you can do when facing an aggressive dog is to give the dog a huge toothy smile, and talk loudly with very short commands. This will let the dog know you're friendly and almost always put the dog at ease.

This is actually great info, thanks for sharing.

I try to ALWAYS stop and face a potentially aggressive dog. Whether I'm on foot, on bike or on horse. It does usually work. But I will add the toothy smile and commands to my defense :)
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

I try to ALWAYS stop and face a potentially aggressive dog. Whether I'm on foot, on bike or on horse. It does usually work. But I will add the toothy smile and commands to my defense :)

Honestly I think you have to read the individual dog. Some dogs are probably better faced and challegened, and some are better backed down from, especially if you are on their territory. I think it's hard to have a hard and fast rule when it comes to aggressive dogs.

If you are faced with a very dominant aggressive dog defending its territory/family, looking directly at it, baring your teeth and raising your voice might only escalate the situation.

I'll add that most animals respond well to confident body language so projecting a relaxed and confident attitude is always best, whether you are calling the dog's bluff or giving it its space.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options

If you are faced with a very dominant aggressive dog defending its territory/family, looking directly at it, baring your teeth and raising your voice might only escalate the situation.

Do that to my dog when my three year old is nearby and you are askin' for it. He is a freindly dog but if you act shady near his baby...watch out.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    There are good owners out there and there are bad. And to all of you who say " my dog would never hurt anyone " you are lying to yourself. Nobody can predict what a dog will do in all situations. Infants have been killed by 4 lb dogs, and by the family golden retriever (my personal favorite type of dog, but I NEVER left my kids alone with them when the children were toddlers and infants.)

Humans have a right to do what is needed when confronted by an aggressive dog. And unless you can read a dog's mind, you cannot say for certain that the dog running after you barking (or growling) is coming up to say "hi." No matter how big or small the dog.
  • tlab827
    tlab827 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    There are no bad dogs, just bad owners.

Side Note: I really miss my dogs. I wish I could take them to work with me, or at least call and check in during the day. Just to see if they did anything productive. They learned to open doors so I'm hopeful they will eventually learn to fold the laundry and unload the dishwasher.

P.S. I'm a crazy dog lady.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    <- my dog runs on the treadmill :-)
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Most dog owners, I have come to learn, do not give a rat's *kitten* whether or not you want their dog up in your business. In fact, they will get upset at you for suggesting that their dog should somehow be restrained from going anywhere they want, running after whoever they want, and sniffing wherever they want.

Twice I sprayed water on dogs that approached me...both times the female owners lost their ****, yelled and screamed at me, and physically threatened me. One held her walking stick up as if to hit me, and I stood there looking right at her and said "go for it. I could really use the money" so she did the smart thing and walked away, while yelling at me about what a terrible person I am. The other screamed "if you ever do that again I will take you down!!!" I'm not exaggerating even a tiny bit.

You should have sprayed them when they freaked out. "No, bad yuppies. Bad bad bad, NO"
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options

err, a toothy smile may be part of behavioral assessment, but a dog about to attack you would probably fail that one.....
    in that scenario, it's probably the confidence they read positively, not the teeth.

if a dog actually goes to bite you, stick your hand in his mouth, grab the lower jaw and push downwards - he won't be able to do you damage, especially if you grab the scruff of the neck or collar at the same time. you can easily hurt them though, so try not to overdo it and let go when the dog is ready to back down. only psycho dogs will ever try and bite another person after that treatment.
    my husband did that to a (doberman) guard dog once - the dog and his pack all backed down, whilst the owner screamed about them all being ruined now. funny really, should have kept them off the street.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    resurrecting, but i have to vent.

i was run down by a loose dog while out running the other day.

if you have one and can't keep it under control, keep it leashed or in a fenced in yard.

or, your dog will meet my foot.
This discussion has been closed.