Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• Amy106Days
    Amy106Days Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Condoms?
    Wait are we supposed to be working out or trying to fill a clown car with our offspring in record time? Either way she looks great and is winning!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    This woman is a trainer, a fitness model, and makes her LIVING do these things.
    Not according to the article she isn't, not anymore.

She has lots of free time then.

My only concern is that she spends that free time with her children.
    If she can incorporate fitness into activities with them- i.e.- stroller walks to the park, pushing kids on swings etc. or does her work outs during naps or after they are in bed, then great.
    If it takes away a lot of her time and attention from the kids, then not so great.
    IMHO: kids come first.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

Im one of the people that these kind of direct, shake you up, challenging, defiant kind of ad works on. Like REALLY works.

The other ones that are super gentle and kind and encouraging make me

tumblr_mcmip6iP4i1qh3z2x.gif

Having actually gone through real bootcamp and been an instructor at bootcamp, I find that whole scene super cheesy when it comes to fitness. Hell, I found it cheesy when I was a part of it. But yea, hard truths are powerful.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    She looks great, and good for her that she hasn't used her kids as an excuse.

But I can tell most of you have never been part of any "mommy" message boards. Going to the gym obviously makes you a horrible mother that doesn't want to spend every waking moment tending to their children. Here are a sample of other things that I have seen other moms judged harshly for:

-Cleaning the house
    -Putting on makeup
    -Changing out of your pajamas
    -Working, either in or out of your home
    -Posting on message boards
    -etc etc etc.

Lulz. And I was posting it just happened
    If she can incorporate fitness into activities with them- i.e.- stroller walks to the park, pushing kids on swings etc. or does her work outs during naps or after they are in bed, then great.
    If it takes away a lot of her time and attention from the kids, then not so great.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Lulz.

I think I'll post a picture on Facebook wearing my bespoke tailored suit, smoking a cigar and drinking cognac entitled "What's your excuse poor people"

What a muppet.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I think its awesome, good for her. I wouldn't call her a bad mom, she is taking care of herself so she can take care of her family. She will have the energy to play with her kids instead of sitting on the couch watching TV and not able to play, so in my opinion, she is a great mom!!!! What would be worse? I say this is awesome. You should always make time for yourself. and an hour a day is not that much in realty. so I raise my glass to her and to all the other parents out there that take care of themselves! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
    This!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i bet a lot of these people have a super duper issues with the slogans that the USAF use to get people to enlist.

oh what - im not the best i can be unless im in the army? Im not telling my kids that - they're the best no matter what they choose.

what? i cant be proud just cause Im not one of the few?

an army of one? what about teamwork?? what kind of horrible lesson is that??

Army strong? as opposed to what? Peace Corps strong?

Maybe not everyone can be in the military okay?? you bunch of self-righteous jerks!!!!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Im one of the people that these kind of direct, shake you up, challenging, defiant kind of ad works on. Like REALLY works.

Sometimes you have to barf a rainbow or two. You know. To taste the rainbow.

I find a variety works for me. I think what I get from this is that there's no right or wrong way to inspire someone. And that those who support this particular brand of inspiration are really quite empowered about defending it and those that disagree with it are somehow in the wrong? I don't understand why there isn't room for both opinions.
  • yoovie
    Options

Having actually gone through real bootcamp and been an instructor at bootcamp, I find that whole scene super cheesy when it comes to fitness. Hell, I found it cheesy when I was a part of it. But yea, hard truths are powerful.

i have no place in my life for a drill instructor. absolutely not at all.

but someone delivering a single line meant to startle your attention and snap you out of the fuzzy warm cupcake clouds? Yes please.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

My concern is that people think it actually take s a lot of time. Around 4 hours a week is plenty of actual workout time. The rest is calorie management.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    She's gorgeous and very inspiring. She might be my new girl crush. I only hope that I can have the motivation she does after I have children. Haters gonna hate.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's the message she intended to send, and I'm not personally offended by the picture and caption. But if you have
    an analytical mind of any sort you can see that while she might intend her message to be about fitness and health it's obviously about appearance as her appearance is what's being referenced.

The OP wondered why the picture would be controversial and I've clearly explained why it is.

People seem to think its a "hater gonna hate" thing but its actually controversial because it's just another brainless message telling women they have to look a certain way regardless of health or fitness level.

And yeah... I'm sorry... if you can't see that, then you are indeed part of a greater problem in the war women fight against themselves and each other.

And that, my friend, is what is sad.

No, you are the one fighting against other women. You are trying to make it a negative that she has an attractive body and has worked for that goal. Would you be happier if she were 30lbs heavier? Is that a more positive image to send?

Telling women that it is wrong to want to look attractive or wrong to work towards that goal is YOU victimizing them.
    Tell me where ANYONE says this woman is wrong by wanting to look any certain way. Oh, that's right - no one said anything like that. I love the irony in this post - it's alright for HER to tell others they should look a certain way... and somehow when people get upset about it they are doing the same thing and it's wrong? No women likes to be told they have to look a certain way but if that person happens to fit your ideal then it's ok? lolz...

Reading comprehension is hard.
    I'm glad you can admit that it is hard for you.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

i have no place in my life for a drill instructor. absolutely not at all.

but someone delivering a single line meant to startle your attention and snap you out of the fuzzy warm cupcake clouds? Yes please.

mmm...cupcake clouds
  • yoovie
    Options

My concern is that people think it actually take s a lot of time. Around 4 hours a week is plenty of actual workout time. The rest is calorie management.

yeah seriously - most people i know can spend four hours A DAY watching TV - so whats wrong with 4-5 hours a week exercising?

shakes head
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    So, by the same logic, is this picture controversial?

9qjygh.jpg

The reason why this is getting so much backlash is not the content of the picture or caption itself. It's the discomfort of looking inward and actively thinking about those excuses. It's easier to point fingers at the "bully" than actually examine their lifestyle. It's definitely a projection issue.
  • yoovie
    Options
    gah! no! swats cupcakes!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Here's why this if offensive: the picture and caption imply that EVERY WOMAN should look exactly as ripped and thin as this woman does. The implicit message is that there is no excuse and therefore NO REASON for any female to look less fabulous than this woman does.

It doesn't say "you shouldn't use excuses to not change your lifestyle".

It says "you have no excuse to not look as sexy and fit as me".

I for one can think of many reasons why many women of all ages and types might not look anything like her while offering no excuses and pursuing the best, healthiest lifestyles there is.

To state it another way, this photo and caption is offensive because its clearly referencing outward appearance as the primary goal for a woman or mother to want to pursue fitness.

If you can't see how this victimizes women, then you're part of the problem.
    Where in this image did it say EVERY WOMAN? Why does this not also apply to men? Isn't it just as reasonable to say this image implies that I, as a man, should have breasts that look exactly like hers?

Seems to me all of the messages you don't like do not appear in this image and only exist in your own head. Perhaps you should be offended at yourself and your own prejudices instead.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's the message she intended to send, and I'm not personally offended by the picture and caption. But if you have
    an analytical mind of any sort you can see that while she might intend her message to be about fitness and health it's obviously about appearance as her appearance is what's being referenced.

The OP wondered why the picture would be controversial and I've clearly explained why it is.

People seem to think its a "hater gonna hate" thing but its actually controversial because it's just another brainless message telling women they have to look a certain way regardless of health or fitness level.

And yeah... I'm sorry... if you can't see that, then you are indeed part of a greater problem in the war women fight against themselves and each other.

And that, my friend, is what is sad.

No, you are the one fighting against other women. You are trying to make it a negative that she has an attractive body and has worked for that goal. Would you be happier if she were 30lbs heavier? Is that a more positive image to send?

Telling women that it is wrong to want to look attractive or wrong to work towards that goal is YOU victimizing them.
    Tell me where ANYONE says this woman is wrong by wanting to look any certain way. Oh, that's right - no one said anything like that. I love the irony in this post - it's alright for HER to tell others they should look a certain way... and somehow when people get upset about it they are doing the same thing and it's wrong? No women likes to be told they have to look a certain way but if that person happens to fit your ideal then it's ok? lolz...

Reading comprehension is hard.
    I'm glad you can admit that it is hard for you.

LOL
  • yoovie
    Options
    So, by the same logic, is this picture controversial?

9qjygh.jpg

The reason why this is getting so much backlash is not the content of the picture or caption itself. It's the discomfort of looking inward and actively thinking about those excuses. It's easier to point fingers at the "bully" than actually examine their lifestyle. It's definitely a projection issue.

stop posting pictures on the internet specifically trying to make me feel guilty and bad about myself for not changing the things that I claim to desperately want to change, that I know are within my power, but I cant take the initiative to do because the computer chair is so comfortable and I already know what Im going to eat for lunch... right here at this desk.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You saw my Facebook feed, didn't you Tom? ;)

Anyway, my original comments on a thread relating to this still hold true:

It's the caption. It is accusatory. If it were directed more as an 'I have no excuses' comment and wasn't followed up with her trying to explain herself, it might have done something more for me. As it stands, it's accusatory and not motivational - for me. For others, maybe it is.

That's not true...it's not the caption. I'd bet money that she could have put "I have no excuses" and still received as much, if not more, negative responses as the caption that is there now. People who aren't willing to put in the work and effort will find fault and butthurt in whatever they see in order to justify why "they can't be better".

They have a direct line to the whaaaaammmbbbulance and love to dial in as much as possible.