What is your FAV SLOW COOKER Recipe?

Options

Replies

• tishonamarie
    tishonamarie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump!!! I can't wait to try some of these!!! yummy!
  • DesertCowgirl
    DesertCowgirl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sbusarah
    sbusarah Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I found this cookbook at the bookstore...it might help you out! :)

FIX-IT and FORGET-IT LIGHTLY : Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker

Phyllis Pellman Good (Author)

I've tried about 20 or so recipes so far and they have all turned out very good. I love that the calories are so low!
    Highly recommend any of her 'fix it and forget it' series as well! Some great recipes in them, healthy, and quick and tasty!

My library carries tons of her cookbooks so I am just going to pick through them. Plan to put the ones I like on recipe cards...Just a thought for those that don't have the money or don't want to buy a book.
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    Saving to find again!
  • loveme445
    loveme445 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,013 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing. these sound wonderful
    I love to make barbque pork sandwiches or lentils in the crockpot YUM
  • dom300186
    dom300186 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My Jamaican curry
    Chicken breast i hate eating off the bone
    1 large onion
    1 can Kidney beans
    1 can of chick peas or gungo peas
    1 tbsp Chicken seasoning
    3-4 tbsp of madras curry powder
    chicken stock cube
    2-3 cloves of garlic

Put all the contents in the slow cooker, pour water in slow cooker covering the chicken and leave to cook stir together and leave to boil down if its still runny and your hungry mix a lil corn flour or gravy granules in to thicken up a lil??
  • PNCTink
    PNCTink Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Turkey Sausages and Mashed Potatoes

We like to put cut-up potatoes (about 5 white and one sweet) in with chicken stock, garlic, and one onion. I throw turkey sausages in on top and cook on low for about 8 hours. I mash the potatoes with 2T butter and milk.
  • cozzy530
    Options
    Corn beef and cabbage with potatoes
    Place corn beef in crock pot
    Cover with beer. (Killians Red has nice flavor)
    add potatoes and cabbage 2 hours before serving.

The alcohol will evaporate leaving the beer flavor in the meat and potatoes. My kids and wife love this meal and it couldn't be any easier.
  • lraff
    lraff Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bumping to my topics!:love:
  • wardiemelissa
    wardiemelissa Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Here's one of my favorites, sorry in advance for taking up so much room on the message board with it. . .:blushing:
    Crockpot Lasagna

1 lb uncooked ground turkey breast (or extra lean ground beef)
    1 lg onion
    2 cloves garlic
    29 oz canned tomato sauce
    6 oz canned tomato paste
    1 cup water
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp ground oregano
    8 oz dry lasagna noodles
    2 cups Kraft Free Shredded Mozzarella cheese (most of the time I just use a store brand "low-fat" instead, it's cheaper:smile:)
    2 cups fat-free cottage cheese
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In skillet, cook turkey or ground beef, onion & garlic over med. heat until meat is no longer pink. Add tomato sauce, water, tomato paste, salt & oregano; mix well. Spread 1/4 meat sauce in bottom of crockpot. Arrange 1/3 noodles over sauce, breaking to fit. Combine cheeses in another bowl, spoon 1/3 cheese mixture over noodles. Repeat layers twice more. Top with remaining meat sauce. Cover & cook on low 4 - 5 hrs. or until noodles are tender.

That sounds YUMMY!!!! Copying the recipe and trying it next week....THANKS for sharing!!!
  • wardiemelissa
    wardiemelissa Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Making a whole chicken in the crock-pot for dinner tomorrow....red skins, carrots, a little water and some seasoning and 8 hours later....YUMMY!!!!!
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    hiya

i am a bit of a novice with my slow cooker - looking for some advice :-)

If i was wanting to cook a whole chicken in the slow cooker - would i add some water to pot?

x
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    bump bump bump....
    can't wait to print out some of these recipes...wooohooooo my meal planning just keeps getting easier with the help of MFPs....
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    bump bump bump....
    can't wait to print out some of these recipes...wooohooooo my meal planning just keeps getting easier with the help of MFPs....
  • Monda
    Monda Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    bump
  • elsa11170
    elsa11170 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump thanks :)
  • fairytalesrcute1
    Options
    I have a pressure cooker that I like to use instead of my slow cooker but this is what I love to make:
    -throw in beans (i use about 6 different types of dry beans)
    -Carrots
    -Celery
    - Red Potatoes
    - Mushrooms
    - Tsp of salt
    -Kale
    -Organic mushroom broth
    -add enough water to keep food from burning
    -Cook on high for about an hour and a half

This is really tasty and has very minimum fat content because I am not using animal byproducts. I ended up placing the soup/stew what ever you want to call it into mason jars and then pressure canning them so I have enough to last me a month.

When you eat it sprinkle some pepper, a little parmasean cheese and a half a handful of oyster crackers and it is a tasty meal.

Good luck on your weight loss!
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    While I cook dinner for tonight, I'll be prepping for the crockpot for tomorrow:

Beef Stew

Adding to the crockpot:

Chopped beef, brown on all sides (season w/ salt and pepper)
    Sauteed onion & Garlic
    Tomato Paste (about 3 TBS) (sauteed in some olive oil - this takes away the bitterness and makes it taste like sundried tomatoes)
    Red Wine (about 1 cup)
    Chopped Potatoes
    Baby Carrots
    Fresh green beans
    Chopped Celery
    Anything else I find that I need to cook up before it goes bad

I'll cook it on low for about 10 hrs

Last time I made this (except i did it in the pressure cooker) it was amazing and my 2 yr old could not get enough of it - she would've drank the broth from a cup if i would've let her.
  • tigersgirl
    tigersgirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump