Not Hating, Why Do Women Struggle With The Gym?

Options
1151617181921»

Replies

• notapooka
    notapooka Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can't answer for anyone else, but for me there are a number of factors. It's expensive. It's a hassle to get to. I have an audio processing condition that makes overlapping loud music/sounds (like music and TV at the same time, or one song playing in the weight room and a different one by the cardio machines) incredibly disorienting. I'm introverted and actively dislike having to interact with other people while I'm doing anything difficult, even if it's as minor as giving the "I see you and acknowledge you are waiting for this space" nod to someone while I'm doing inverted rows. While I know how to get the dudes who try to tell me I should be lifting lighter with higher reps or thank me for bending over while staring at my chest to buzz off, I'd really much rather not have to deal with it in the first place.

In the end, I'd much rather invest in some free weights and an adjustable pull-up bar for myself and work out at home. which requires zero travel time, always plays just one music track or show at a time, and I know the only people who can look down my shirt are my husband and my cat.
  • julianadelbosque
    Options
    Right now I'm just running, so I hate the gym. I HATE treadmills and ellipticals. Half the reason I enjoy running is being outside and letting everything else in life float away, and that doesn't happen at the gym.

I avoid the weight area because I'm scared. Not gonna lie. I'm just not going to be comfortable in that area until I have someone helping me out. My campus gym offers a start up training session and also has some small packages, and I'm definitely considering doing that when I can get the money together. They have a women and weights class starting next week, but I have a meeting during the time one of the days and I'm really disappointed about it!
  • rosettafaery
    rosettafaery Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I had always been into my cardio - be it a fitness DVD or Dance Central on console or going for a walk or bike ride. Media and that show you what you think you have to become - super thin with a thigh gap. Cardio seems to be the way to lose the fat.

But I have recently been told that my bone density is reducing (I'm in my late 20s so that was a bit of a surprise) and the doctor suggested I start weight lifting (although not to Mr Universe levels).

I've since joined a gym and been given a program with a mix of cardio and weight training on the machines. I'm not setting out to bulk up but to become toned and healthy.

So for me gym for the win!
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    A bit off track here, but my question is definitely gym related. I have just started going to the gym (again) and i would like to log the calories burned. But i don't want to go through and put down each machine. Does anyone know if there is a way to just log a general gym - machine workout? I just went and was pretty steady for 50 minutes and would like to log it, but do not know how.
    Thanks for any replys to this.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    A bit off track here, but my question is definitely gym related. I have just started going to the gym (again) and i would like to log the calories burned. But i don't want to go through and put down each machine. Does anyone know if there is a way to just log a general gym - machine workout? I just went and was pretty steady for 50 minutes and would like to log it, but do not know how.
    Thanks for any replys to this.

I log mine as circuit training.
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    LuLu ~ Thanks so much - perfect. I do like to give myself credit.
  • pdxevergreen
    pdxevergreen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's not the magazines....it's women believing they need to look like those in magazines.

Donna
    Website Owner
    Texas
    MagazinesforWomen
    http://magazinesforwomen.org/
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    It's not the magazines....it's women believing they need to look like those in magazines.

Donna
    Website Owner
    Texas
    MagazinesforWomen
    http://magazinesforwomen.org/

speak for yourself. that sounds so nineties. not many people feel that way anymore.
  • lizmarkham
    lizmarkham Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's hard to get started at a gym, not knowing what to do, not wanting to look silly or compare yourself to other women. I walked into a gym close to work so I could get a quick run in during lunch. Turns out I was the only female member... Intimidating? A little at first. But then I learned everyone's workout schedule and it actually became fun when I knew some of the guys and did have a question on the weights or wanted to know what I could do to tone different muscle groups. They were my biggest cheerleaders, I couldn't compare myself to any other women and I had fitness buffs and spotters at my beck and call. The worst time was when the pro-builders were in and screaming. I would just hit the treadmill with my back turned towards them and run until I couldn't run any longer. With all that hootin' and hollerin' I pretended I had my own little cheering section. Point of it comes down to, guys make great training partners, they push, encourage and don't let you quit. Plus you can't compare the two... ;) To all of you women, try a gym known for it's male members if you aren't comfortable with other women, you might be surprised.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    It's hard to get started at a gym, not knowing what to do, not wanting to look silly or compare yourself to other women. I walked into a gym close to work so I could get a quick run in during lunch. Turns out I was the only female member... Intimidating? A little at first. But then I learned everyone's workout schedule and it actually became fun when I knew some of the guys and did have a question on the weights or wanted to know what I could do to tone different muscle groups. They were my biggest cheerleaders, I couldn't compare myself to any other women and I had fitness buffs and spotters at my beck and call. The worst time was when the pro-builders were in and screaming. I would just hit the treadmill with my back turned towards them and run until I couldn't run any longer. With all that hootin' and hollerin' I pretended I had my own little cheering section. Point of it comes down to, guys make great training partners, they push, encourage and don't let you quit. Plus you can't compare the two... ;) To all of you women, try a gym known for it's male members if you aren't comfortable with other women, you might be surprised.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS THIS IS WHY I LOVE MY MAN GYM! <3
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it's a woman thing for me. It might just be a newbie thing. Whenever I go to a new gym I'm afraid I'm stepping on unwritten rules. I mean, I know not to jostle people who are using free weights, and I know to clean up after myself (both weights and sweat), but there's always someone who seems cooler than me and that's intimidating.

Great. It's not a woman thing or a newbie thing. It's a junior-high lunchroom thing. I think I'll go sit at the empty table and read my social studies textbook now.
  • DennisParker
    Options
    It is true, women's like to run and reduce their weight. While men like to spend time in gym doing workout, but everything has an exception. Some women likes to go to gym and workout
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I'm always so impressed with women in the weights area-- especially the ones who know what they're doing and are working intensely. I feel like I kind of came into the world at the tale end of when that was still very unusual, and so to me it's still striking whenever I see it. Kind of like women on motorcycles.
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm always so impressed with women in the weights area-- especially the ones who know what they're doing and are working intensely. I feel like I kind of came into the world at the tale end of when that was still very unusual, and so to me it's still striking whenever I see it. Kind of like women on motorcycles.

Love the gym, never felt intimidated or scared - I work by myself most of the time, I lift weights, free weights and some machines, work with kettlebells (I actually tend to stay away from the cardio machines - find them a bit boring :yawn: )...and I go in the boys gym :happy: ....Oh and I ride a motorbike.....:wink:
  • grnchocjnkymfp89
    Options
    I don't run and actually very much dislike cardio. I like to do a lot of HIIT and strength training the most with some yoga and pilates thrown in. For me, it's just a hassle more than anything. I have two kids. By the time I drive to the gym and get my workout in and then drive back and shower. It takes too much time. Also, I'm just really self conscious. I like working out in the privacy of my own home. Maybe when he kids are older I can join a gym. But I've been pretty successful working out at home for the last five years. I'd love some cardio equipment though and heavier weights, though.