What's going on with the MFP bad attitudes? :(

Options
14567810»

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    There are really some really sad people in this world. The reason they are saying those things to you is because there is something DEEPLY wrong with them, not you. It still is hurtful, but keep in mind that these are people who are so miserable with their own lives, they are sitting on this site and making nasty, vile comments to innocent women looking for encouragement. There is a very special place for them :)

*This post is in response to the girl who posted she was looking for dating advice and got a bunch of horrible responses. Don't know why it didn't post under that one.

To the OP, ignore the idiots of the world. It takes a strong and intelligent person to have class and tact, and clearly there are A LOT of people without.

Keep reading. Someone posted the link to her post. She got tons really positive responses and I didn't see half of what she said.

One guy did say to change things up, maybe a new hair color, but it wasn't meant as an insult. I understood the point he was making.

It's actually a perfect example of a lot of the things discussed here.

I did get some positive responses - but what I was referring to was the negative responses...like I said, telling me I was too old, get a cat, etc. I apologize if my post offended you somehow. This has seemingly become personal against me for some odd reason.

If you are seriously this upset by a couple of minor jokes, then I have the answer to your earlier thread. Lighten up. The "let's take the world so seriously" attitude got old in my 20s. If you can't laugh at yourself in your 40s then try again.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad that you posted this. I don't post at all because of the sarcastic, rude people on here. People come here for advice and motivation. I honestly don't think they would ask questions if they knew the answers. What they get is rude commentary from people who think everyone must think the same way they do. At first I enjoyed reading posts in the community. Now I rarely read because of this very thing.

Mama must not have taught them the same thing mama taught me.... if you can't say something nice... you know the rest...

I have seen many instances where the person did in fact know the answer and sometimes even stated it in the OP and then went ahead and posted anyway couching the answer in a lot of details so as to confuse themselves and sometimes others. Oftentimes this is actually that they know the answer but do not WANT that to be the answer and that is when you see a pile of people informing them, "I'm sorry there is no other way around it you must do the work, the simple but necessary work." Those people usually since they are already in a head space where they don't want it to be the answer will frequently reject vehemently the advice given and will frequently feel ganged up on and come out swinging with accusations of "rude" and the like. It's more a function of their state of denial or something akin to it than a statement about those attempting to help.

Often I have seen a new or nearly new person venture on to the forum to ask a question that is pretty important to them, to be put down by people that spend a lot of time on the forum trying to bring up the number quotation in how many posts they reply to.

Sometimes those people that spend a lot of time replying to threads, and seeing the same questions come up again and again, need to rein in their wishes to be the `biggest poster`

Every individual that joins MFP is here for a reason, their wish to make better of their lives, they deserve some consideration and allowance and respect before anyone answers their questions in an adhoc manner.

Being polite or respectful takes nothing from your life
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    2irukv5jpg.gif

In to read about the Butthurt........ :glasses:

Trolling - popcorn gif. It's the adult (?) version of standing round in a circle yelling 'fight, fight, fight'.

Don't feed 'em folks, is my advice to you.

Peace out. :glasses:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    If you feel people are being harsh, it is a reflection of your inner dialog.

I don't necessarily think this is always true. I can understand critique is useful (and I would welcome it), but so frequently there are people here who are willing to offer it with very little tact and a more than healthy dose of sarcasm. It just seems unnecessary to be so 'snarky' when the majority of the time, all people are looking for is support. If the OP is incredibly preachy, of course, circumstances can be a little different.

Problem is, some of us find snark and sarcasm to BE supportive. Which, is probably said in every.single.one. of the zillion or so "everybody is so MEAN!!!" threads that pop up on one of the tamest forums on the internets.

^This. I am definitely more likely to remember advice and straight truth given to me in this manner.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    2irukv5jpg.gif

Trolling - popcorn gif. It's the adult (?) version of standing round in a circle yelling 'fight, fight, fight'.

Peace out. glasses

you going to report them as well? Did your post bring anything to this discussion - no, what a suprise.

I see it as using a gif to bookmark the thread so they can go back and read it. Funny how you automatically see it as trolling.

Maybe that speaks to your state of mind as you read peoples' posts on the forum.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    2irukv5jpg.gif

In what way is the popcorn gif different from posting that you're ignoring most of the people in this thread?
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,461 Member
    Options
    I've reached the same conclusion. Occasionally I'll go to the message boards to offer a supporting word for someone, and have even gotten flack for that.

I've stopped asking my own questions.

Here is my supportive word, I agree. I don't ask help about fitness etc questions either.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    2irukv5jpg.gif

In what way is the popcorn gif different from posting that you're ignoring most of the people in this thread?

I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW

It isn't :bigsmile: :noway:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I like it here.

In real life, if I am doing something stupid with my diet or fitness routine, and I start talking about it, people will just nod and smile for the sake of 'being polite'. Here, if I am doing something stupid, people let me know. Consequently I spend less time doing stupid things. Its nice.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad that you posted this. I don't post at all because of the sarcastic, rude people on here. People come here for advice and motivation. I honestly don't think they would ask questions if they knew the answers. What they get is rude commentary from people who think everyone must think the same way they do. At first I enjoyed reading posts in the community. Now I rarely read because of this very thing.

Mama must not have taught them the same thing mama taught me.... if you can't say something nice... you know the rest...

I have seen many instances where the person did in fact know the answer and sometimes even stated it in the OP and then went ahead and posted anyway couching the answer in a lot of details so as to confuse themselves and sometimes others. Oftentimes this is actually that they know the answer but do not WANT that to be the answer and that is when you see a pile of people informing them, "I'm sorry there is no other way around it you must do the work, the simple but necessary work." Those people usually since they are already in a head space where they don't want it to be the answer will frequently reject vehemently the advice given and will frequently feel ganged up on and come out swinging with accusations of "rude" and the like. It's more a function of their state of denial or something akin to it than a statement about those attempting to help.

Often I have seen a new or nearly new person venture on to the forum to ask a question that is pretty important to them, to be put down by people that spend a lot of time on the forum trying to bring up the number quotation in how many posts they reply to.

Sometimes those people that spend a lot of time replying to threads, and seeing the same questions come up again and again, need to rein in their wishes to be the `biggest poster`

Every individual that joins MFP is here for a reason, their wish to make better of their lives, they deserve some consideration and allowance and respect before anyone answers their questions in an adhoc manner.

Being polite or respectful takes nothing from their life

FIFY. because I know you weren't referring to me, right? Because that might be misconstrued as a personal attack. Also, how do you know the motives of those people with all the many posts? Where do you get to the conclusion that it is their mission in life to have many many posts? Just curious, are they friends with you, have they told you this?
  • KhaoticSoul
    Options
    I take a leaf out of my old nan's book when it comes to the internet and stuf like this, and thats 'If I aint got anything nice to say then I don't say anything at all.' Pointing out different options or giving suggestions doesnt have to be done in a negative, hurtful or rude way. Its all about how you phrase it and remebering that being on here there are not the usual indicators, ie facial expressions, tone of voice etc. So its hard to make sure what you type is easily read without it being taken wrong or seen as offensive, but its not rocket science either.. Its also possible to have a debate on here from two or three opposing views without it resorting to school yard bullying tactics, but then again it also depends on the mentality of the person you are dealing with, as some people just want to argue for the sake of arguing because they get a kick out of putting people down. Personally I spend most of my time laughing at the inane reponses I see on here, and only respond or continue to read the posts that are actually helpul and of use, To me its like having a good reference book mixed in with the trashy magazines or tabloid newspapers. you have to trawl through lots of trash to get to the good bits.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    2irukv5jpg.gif

hC56543CD
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    2irukv5jpg.gif

Art is so subjective. Perhaps it's the online equivalent of saying I haven't formulated an opinion yet but this topic is interesting to me and I'm going to watch it like so much television, theater and have a snack while I'm at it.

(there seems to be a lot of mind reading on this thread?)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    2irukv5jpg.gif

Peace out. glasses

you going to report them as well? Did your post bring anything to this discussion - no, what a suprise.

I see it as using a gif to bookmark the thread so they can go back and read it. Funny how you automatically see it as trolling.

Maybe that speaks to your state of mind as you read peoples' posts on the forum.

Thank you and is exactly the reason I posted here, I am in the middle of watching Texas A&M trying to beat Ole Miss and am not taking the time to read through 8 pages right now.... And this just proves the point how people jump to conclusions and think they can interpret even my tone based on a gif..... It is utterly amazing........ :noway:
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Being polite or respectful takes nothing from their life

FIFY. because I know you weren't referring to me, right? Because that might be misconstrued as a personal attack. Also, how do you know the motives of those people with all the many posts? Where do you get to the conclusion that it is their mission in life to have many many posts? Just curious, are they friends with you, have they told you this?

Oh you must not use FIFY - that's snarky :laugh:
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I realize that there have been many threads posted lately that express concerns about the attitude in the forums. It's absolutely our goal that the forums be a safe place for anyone to ask for help or support. This community is not just the internet, its MyFitnessPal and I deeply appreciate all of the members who do a beautiful job of providing constructive support to other members.

There are thousands of posts every hour and we do rely on other users to point our attention to posts that appear to be in violation of our guidelines. If you see a post that is rude, insulting, bullying, or in some other way violates the posting guidelines, please click the "report post" link under the post. That brings the post to the attention of the next available moderator.

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.